The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hatch Chile Festival

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
Hatch Chile Festival Wed, 08/3/05 11:03 AM (permalink)
This is my first year living in the great state of New Mexico, and I was wondering if anyone else here has attended the Hatch Chile Festival? http://www.zianet.com/focus/places/hatch.htm For anyone who does not know about it, and will be vacationing in the area, this is the link. It looks like a Roadfood supreme experience, so I thought I would pass the word along here.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
    RE: Hatch Chile Festival Wed, 08/3/05 8:35 PM (permalink)
    Never been to the Hatch festival but Hatch is supposed to be the top-o-the-line chile.

It's great that chile season is coming on because of the roasting - for those that don't know, most supermarkets - and other places - sell bags of fresh chile, then you take them out to the parking lot where they're roasted for you. All over the state there's the scent of roasting chile in the air in late August/early September.....sweeter than the flowers int he springtime!

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
      RE: Hatch Chile Festival Thu, 08/4/05 5:18 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by NYNM

Never been to the Hatch festival but Hatch is supposed to be the top-o-the-line chile.

It's great that chile season is coming on because of the roasting - for those that don't know, most supermarkets - and other places - sell bags of fresh chile, then you take them out to the parking lot where they're roasted for you. All over the state there's the scent of roasting chile in the air in late August/early September.....sweeter than the flowers int he springtime!

A lot of the supermarkets here in DFW roast Hatch Chiles out front as well. They are outstanding

NYNM

RE: Hatch Chile Festival Sat, 08/6/05 12:02 AM (permalink)
        Speaking of NM chile, I just thought of another "brand" like Hatch. It's called Chimayo chile, from the village of Chimayo (between Santa Fe and Taos), also known as "Holy Chile". This is because Chimayo is also a famous pilgrimage site to their small church known for its "miraculous" dirt, said to perform miracles. So chile that grows in related soil is "holy". It does taste good, sells well at Santa Fe farmer's market, but I don't know of any miracles attributed to the chile (yet).

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          RE: Hatch Chile Festival Sat, 08/6/05 7:46 AM (permalink)
          My Santa Fe friend grew up in Chimayo and I get a steady supply of "holy chile" from his mom's place. I can't think of any miracles yet, but it sure tastes good, we keep some of it in a salt shaker at the dinner table all of the time. We were just there in June and after 28 years of yearly trips to Santa Fe had our first meal at Rancho de Chimayo. Lovely patios and good food.

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
            RE: Hatch Chile Festival Sun, 08/7/05 3:06 PM (permalink)
            OK, lemme ask a stupid question here. What is the purpose of roasting chilies? And what do you do with them afterward? Is this to dry them? Make them easier to peel?

I roast poblano and Anaheim chilies in order to peel them. I then put them in Ziploc bags with a bit of liquid (chicken broth) and freeze them for later use, mainly for green chili stew.

BTW, I like Hatch chilies, but to me there is no difference between them and Anaheims.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
              RE: Hatch Chile Festival Sun, 08/7/05 8:43 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by olphart

OK, lemme ask a stupid question here. What is the purpose of roasting chilies? And what do you do with them afterward? Is this to dry them? Make them easier to peel?

I roast poblano and Anaheim chilies in order to peel them. I then put them in Ziploc bags with a bit of liquid (chicken broth) and freeze them for later use, mainly for green chili stew.

BTW, I like Hatch chilies, but to me there is no difference between them and Anaheims.

I do the same thing with Hatch, use them in recipes or freeze for later. Difference here(DFW area)certain Supermarkets set Roasters out front and Roast em for you. With Hatch you can get Mild or Hot not familiar with Aneheims and with buying Poblanos around here heat has always been a crap shoot.

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
                RE: Hatch Chile Festival Tue, 08/9/05 7:50 PM (permalink)
                I bought a bunch of smallish poblanos at the Farmer's Market recently. Half of them had already turned red by the time I roasted them. We just made tortilla soup with them, and they are just a tad on the hot side.

Now, where the heck did I put those Tums???

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                  RE: Hatch Chile Festival Tue, 08/9/05 8:56 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by olphart

Roasting them is just another way of cooking them to allow you to peel. You actually answered your own question.

For convenience, I usually buy them already roasted from a local market. I can get them fresh; often they're still warm. However, I used to roast them over charcoal, and that adds flavor, of course.

I adore these things.

NYNM

RE: Hatch Chile Festival Wed, 08/10/05 2:16 PM (permalink)
                    Just bought my sack of Hatch at Albertsons' and had em roasted. How about this: take one warm one out, wrap in in a fesh tortailla, add a slice of cheese. Yuuuuum. First a sweet taste then a hot one. Mhmhm.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com