The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST

garrett2k

• Total Posts: 2
Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Fri, 08/12/05 1:35 AM (permalink)
Message Preview

Hey all,

I've added this to two different forums here at Roadfood, because dammit, I love this food, and nobody who lives or has visited SLC is coming through with the news. Having just moved from a couple years in a town of 30,000 with no road in or out, I appreciate great food, and THIS is the real deal. And I have conflicting feelings. I don’t want to make this anymore of a "hip" place, because that just means more wait time, but, at the same time, I know the people who own it and they honestly DESERVE to have this place spoken off on a forum such as this. It is Great. Anyway, back to my review of this place which I just posted in the "regional forum"

I’ve been reading Roadfood since I was planning a road trip of the county two years ago. I have recently moved here to the Salt Lake City area 4 months ago (Bountiful, 10 minutes north of SLC) but, having family here, I've been visiting for years. As a result of living/visiting here, talking to people and trying it out for myself, what bothers me is the lack of respect and admiration for the RED IGUANA. I've lived here 4 months, and I've been to the Iguana, (RED, not green, iguana wise there are two here), on average, twice every week. The place is the best Mexican food I’ve ever had. My brother (Mormon) went to Mexico, and then the southwest for his Mission; THIS is the best Mexican food HE has ever had. It's a small family run place, but as is evident by the number of people waiting outside the joint every day, it’s well worth the wait. Great staff, which are ridiculously personable and ready to help. Again, to reiterate, what’s most important is the quality of the food, which is Amazing. Plus, a rarity in SLC, they serve quality beers and hard liquor. For family, friends or even a night alone, you'd be hard pressed to find a better Mexican joint, food or atmosphere, in Utah, much less the west. And yes, after spending 500-1000 dollars there a month, the owners gave my brother a t shirt and treat him like family, but hey, here it's about the food, the friendship, I’ve eaten Mexican from Alaska (where I’m from…Juneau, AK) to Oceanside to Key West to New York and THIS is the Great place.

Don’t believe the hype… just go:
http://www.rediguana.com/home.html

-G Kelly

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Fri, 08/12/05 3:06 AM (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood Garrett. Can you describe some of the selections? I always judge a Mexican place by the quality of their chile rellenos, as in the amount of and quality of the oil flavor, what cheese is inside, what chile they use, the lightness and amount of the batter coating, if and what they sauce it with, stuff like that.

Basicly, your take on and a brief description of what you've tried. Keep in mind, I'm a stern taskmaster when it comes to good Mexican food.

chriscarson

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 09/21/05 10:56 PM (permalink)
      I am from Chicago, with a huge Hispanic community (about 30% of our public school population is Hispanic). We have Latin American restaurants coming out of our ears. In January, 2003, I was driving down "North Temple" street on my way from the airport to my hotel. On a Tuesday night at 9:30pm, In 20 degree temperatures, with snow falling, there was a line on the sidewalk for a restuarant---The Red Iguana!! I had to see what it was all about, and now Red Iguana is my first stop when i visit Salt Lake City. I would have to say that they are most famous for their 10 different types of mole sauces---all very different ingredients (one with pumpkin seeds for instance), and very distinct and different flavors. I have never had anything that disappointed me, or any of my family. Portions are generous, prices are low, tastes like "home cooking", and the waitstaff is friendly---only occasional language problems. Family friendly...lots of talking and laughing. Strolling musicians sometimes. By far the bes Mexican food I have ever had, and i eat it at least once a week in Chicago.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Thu, 09/22/05 1:51 PM (permalink)
        oh, si, si, si...la iguana rojo...very very good, muy bueno....tastes like cheecken!

Ekdog

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 3:27 AM (permalink)
          I've passed through your fair city on a couple of occasions and had the same problem both times when visiting Mexican restaurants: the food was fine, but there was no beer served to accompany it. The owners apologized and blamed it on puritanical laws passed by the Mormons. How uncivilized!

The best Mexican food in the U.S.--in my not so humble opinion--is served in California, Arizona and New Mexico. The cuisine is outstanding in those states, and ordering a cervecita bien fría is never a problem.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 9:58 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Scorereader

oh, si, si, si...la iguana rojo...very very good, muy bueno....tastes like cheecken!

and what exactly am i to think of this post, besides the condescending and possibly construed as ethnophopic,if not slightly racist,implications

Cribbage Fiend

• Total Posts: 17
              RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 10:30 AM (permalink)
              I'm so glad that someone is writing about Salt Lake City. I used to live there in Winters and I miss it! I definitely miss the Red Iguana.

Ekdog complained that the Red Iguana serves no liquor. I'd like to caution you not to mix up the Red Iguana with the Blue Iguana, both in the same city but not owned by the same people.

If it's your first time (or even if it's not), ask for samples of the moles. They'll bring a plate with dabs of 5 of their moles to dip your chips in so you know which one you want before you order.

When you're feeling like something greasier, later at night I love Molca Salsa down by the REI. It's open 24 hours and I loved their Machaca Burritos with tamarind drink or better yet their horchata.

There's also Lone Star Taqueria closed to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. It's a little joint with cowboy boots adorning the top of the fenceposts around it. Their fish tacos are heavenly. The kind of fish varies by the day, but get them anyway. And their jalapeno mayonaise is something I have been tinkering unsuccessfully with for years. Thier other menu items are ordinary, but the fish tacos. Ahhh.

Scorereader

RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 10:45 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by tiki

quote:

and what exactly am i to think of this post, besides the condescending and possibly construed as ethnophopic,if not slightly racist,implications

that a red iguana tastes like chicken?

racist? ....puhlease. An implied accent doesn't imply racism. Calling a mexican a beaner or wetback would be racist. Which are words, I hadn't even heard of until Carlos Mencia start doing stand-up.
                But an accent?

If I had implied a French accent when talking about a french bistro, would THAT be racist too?

Language does not equal race.

It IS possible that I was being slightly condescending to the BEST Mexican restaurant being located in balmy Salt Lake City. But then, I wrote that well over a month and a hundred posts ago, and frankly, I don't remember.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 11:39 AM (permalink)
                  quote:

quote:
                  Originally posted by tiki

quote:

that a red iguana tastes like chicken?

racist? ....puhlease. An implied accent doesn't imply racism. Calling a mexican a beaner or wetback would be racist. Which are words, I hadn't even heard of until Carlos Mencia start doing stand-up.
                  But an accent?

If I had implied a French accent when talking about a french bistro, would THAT be racist too?

Language does not equal race.

It IS possible that I was being slightly condescending to the BEST Mexican restaurant being located in balmy Salt Lake City. But then, I wrote that well over a month and a hundred posts ago, and frankly, I don't remember.

yes, like Denver, Salt Lake City has a huge mexican population.
                  Not only that, but a significant navajo population too. Probably the best Navajo Tacos in the country hail from Salt Lake City

Ekdog

• Total Posts: 3
                    RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Wed, 11/16/05 4:02 PM (permalink)
                    "Ekdog complained that the Red Iguana serves no liquor."

No, I didn't mention any restaurant by name, but I'll have to give the
                    Red Iguana a try next time I'm in Salt Lake.

Regards,

Ekdog

Scorereader

RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Fri, 11/18/05 2:09 PM (permalink)

yes, like Denver, Salt Lake City has a huge mexican population.
                      Not only that, but a significant navajo population too. Probably the best Navajo Tacos in the country hail from Salt Lake City

A fact I was unaware of.

tre cool. I'd love to try a Navajo taco.

thanks

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                        RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Fri, 11/18/05 2:45 PM (permalink)
                        FYI: Iguana does taste like chicken.

Scorereader

RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Fri, 11/18/05 3:14 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

(I knew it!)

imsofull

• Total Posts: 61
                            RE: Salt Lake City Utah Mexican Food - The BEST Tue, 11/22/05 12:02 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

(I knew it!)

Now that is funny!! People need to lighten up and laugh.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com