The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Great Mexican in Kingsville, TX

slackademic

• Total Posts: 51
Great Mexican in Kingsville, TX Thu, 08/18/05 12:33 PM (permalink)
If you are ever going through South Texas in the Corpus area, stop by one of the few Tacqueria Jaliscos. It technically is a chain, but it is owned by one family who was lucky enough to make it. I recommend the one in Kingsville since I have been there about 4 times (909 S. 14th Street, Open Saturday thru Thursday 6am - 10pm; Friday 6am - 12midnight.) I had their gorditas three of the times-fajita each time (steak, but they won't answer to steak or carne asada.) The gordita had two really good corn meal-cakes (not really tortillas), pico de gallo, and refried beans. The steak was marinated and was salty enough to bring out the flavor, but not too much to wreck it. The pico and beans were a good combination. They are $2 a piece and are so hearty you won't finish two.

The other dish I had was a combination dinner ($6) with a soft taco (fajita), enchilada, and tostada. The taco meat had similar flavor to what was described above with bell peppers and tomato, the cheese enchilada was covered with a Ranchero sauce with a kick, and bean tostada had the usual toppings of lettuce, cheese and tomato. The cheese enchilada was Tex-Mex style-covered in cheese. The beans were the best tasting refried beans I have ever had. I was there with a group and everyone loved their different combination plates. Tasted everything-was great. The meals are all served with chips and salsa. The salsa has just enough spice to make it interesting and the chips are both corn and flour tortilla chips (very addictive). Be warned, this is not a place for those watching their cholesterol.

La Iguana is another great restaurant, family owned with great service (1920 E. King.) I had the cheese enchilada platter. Enchiladas were covered with a spicy mole sauce, very good. Of course, they were smothered in queso (delicious.) Chips and salsa were great and I recommend drinking a margarita. The one I had was great-not too strong, not too weak. Walked with with a $12 tab with tip and it would have been less sans margarita.

If you are on your way to S. Padre or the border, stop at these places. The best Tex-Mex I've had (and I have had quite a lot in TX.)

TxConnie

• Total Posts: 83
    RE: Great Mexican in Kingsville, TX Thu, 08/18/05 8:31 PM (permalink)
    Hmm-- Thanks. We go to Kingsville every year for the Ranch Hand Breakfast. Will have to stop at one of the 2 places.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com