Big Boy

Author
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Joined: 2003/11/13 13:09:00
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
  • Status: offline
2005/08/18 21:25:11 (permalink)

Big Boy

I've seen a lot of discussion about "Big Boy" restraurants. I'm curious. Is "Big Boy" a franchise that takes its name from the local franchise owner? Seems to me that the plastic guy in front of every outlet is the same -- sort of looks like Conan O'Brien in play clothes.

Has anyone seen regional differences.

I remember years ago reading Calvin Trillin talking about "Big Boy" and "The Man with the Naugahyde Pallet."
#1

13 Replies Related Threads

    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5432
    • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2005/08/19 03:33:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

    I've seen a lot of discussion about "Big Boy" restraurants. I'm curious. Is "Big Boy" a franchise that takes its name from the local franchise owner? Seems to me that the plastic guy in front of every outlet is the same -- sort of looks like Conan O'Brien in play clothes.
    Has anyone seen regional differences.


    There are regional differences, out in Calif. they go by Bob's Big Boy. In Ohio they go by another name, which I currently forget, Big Boy. Basically the same product and menu from what I've seen.

    MikeS.
    #2
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    • Joined: 2004/04/02 05:32:00
    • Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2005/08/19 05:56:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

    I've seen a lot of discussion about "Big Boy" restraurants. I'm curious. Is "Big Boy" a franchise that takes its name from the local franchise owner? Seems to me that the plastic guy in front of every outlet is the same -- sort of looks like Conan O'Brien in play clothes.
    Has anyone seen regional differences.


    There are regional differences, out in Calif. they go by Bob's Big Boy. In Ohio they go by another name, which I currently forget, Big Boy. Basically the same product and menu from what I've seen.

    MikeS.


    Frisch's in Ohio, Elbe's over to the east, and Shoney's used to be to the south.
    I've heard that the "special sauce" for the Big Boy is different from chain to chain, but I can't say I remember a difference. The Frisch's chain has aged badly around here to the point that it's become the Wal-Mart food court for the more affluent seniors.
    #3
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2005/08/19 07:59:47 (permalink)
    Frisch's is the company using the logo in Indiana and Illinois also. In the Rocky Mountain area it is JB's Big Boy. Out west Bob's was the label for years, then they broke up and sold the 'Bob's' Theme. Later (mid 90's) Bobs reemerged and there are some in SoCal again now...no where near as many as had the logo 20 years ago.
    Frisch's here in Indiana is jumping. We have a new store, replacing an older version in Clarksville. It is larger and more comfortable than the old one. I see several in the Louisville Area, and all seem to be doing quite well.
    #4
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1187
    • Joined: 2001/11/26 12:24:00
    • Location: Batavia, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2005/08/19 08:35:56 (permalink)
    The sauces were different. I recall eating in a Shoney's in Tennessee when I was a kid, and the sauce was more like thousand island dressing. Shoney's dropped the "Big Boy" moniker quite a few years ago so they could enter the same markets as Frisch's, without having a problem with the "no compete" requirement of being a Big Boy. The one nearest me was terrible and closed quite rapidly.
    #5
    correctinfo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2007/05/10 09:28:00
    • Location: sardinia, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 09:43:37 (permalink)
    Frisch's owns the big boy name and in order for the other restaurants to use the name they must pay Frisch's a fee.
    #6
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    • Joined: 2004/11/05 14:36:00
    • Location: Stoughton, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 09:58:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
    Frisch's is the company using the logo in Indiana and Illinois also.
    Years ago the BB on East State St. in Rockford IL was a Marc's but I don't know what it is today or if it even still exists. I remember seeing Marc's on other BB signs, too.

    Brad
    #7
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    • Joined: 2006/07/06 19:49:00
    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 12:13:18 (permalink)
    The tartar sauce is definately different from franchise to franchise.

    The Frisch's tartar sauce here in the IN/OH/KY area is much better than any of the other areas versions. My dad makes me bring him in florida several jars when I head south.

    #8
    syrup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    • Joined: 2004/04/07 12:20:00
    • Location: pontiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 13:17:45 (permalink)
    Check out www.bigboy.com. There's a store locater.

    Traveleing up north seems to have always involve a stop a a Big Boy.




    #9
    JudgeMaven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Joined: 2006/05/01 13:15:00
    • Location: Jerusalem, Israel
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 14:11:47 (permalink)
    There used to be Abdow's Big Boy in CT a while back, can't vouch for all of New England.

    When I was younger I had a hamster named Abdow. Named him that because he was a "big boy". He was the largest in his litter.
    #10
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18492
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/10 15:09:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by correctinfo

    Frisch's owns the big boy name and in order for the other restaurants to use the name they must pay Frisch's a fee.

    Not exactly. Frisch's owns the name in certain areas. Big Boy Restaurants International, a Michigan corporation, operates in Ohio, California, Michigan, Florida, Nevada, North Dakota, Arizona and Illinois. It is not affiliated in any way with Frisch's.
    #11
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    • Joined: 2005/08/04 13:09:00
    • Location: Crofton, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/13 01:06:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by correctinfo

    Frisch's owns the big boy name and in order for the other restaurants to use the name they must pay Frisch's a fee.

    Not exactly. Frisch's owns the name in certain areas. Big Boy Restaurants International, a Michigan corporation, operates in Ohio, California, Michigan, Florida, Nevada, North Dakota, Arizona and Illinois. It is not affiliated in any way with Frisch's.


    I don't think Shoney's is affiliated with Big Boy anymore either.

    I used to work at TJ's Big Boy in North Syracuse. When the guys owned the franchise it was a good place. But when Ellias company started buying the franchises back from independent owners, the place went down hill in a hurry. To this day I can no longer step into anything that even remotely reminds me of Big Boy. The sour taste is still in my mouth. I learned a lot about the restaurant biz though...enough the get me employment in college working as a line cook, a pizza maker, and I even waited tables (although I preferred the kitchen - I always like the back stage antics better than the floor) - but it also taught me I never wanted to climb the corporate ladder in restaurants. That was one ladder I learned I never wanted to claw up. I guess I should thank the Elias company for that, but then I'd have to walk into a room with a big boy picture hanging on the wall, and that ain't happening.

    #12
    K00ky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    • Joined: 2007/01/31 23:42:00
    • Location: queens, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/13 21:43:34 (permalink)
    In upstate new york right off the highway theres a rest stop with Big boy and Roy rogers, Didnt go into big boy though, they were serving buffet as i recall. Bad move?
    #13
    sonjaab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    • Joined: 2005/06/15 22:50:00
    • Location: Syracuse, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Big Boy 2007/05/14 00:18:03 (permalink)
    KOO...........I note that there are several Roy Rogers
    and possibly Big Boy combos on the NYS Thruway rest stops
    (Rt.90) between Syracuse and Rochester NY.

    Having made several trips from Syracuse to the Rochester
    airport several times in the past 4 weeks. I have stopped
    for tasty Dunkin Donuts coffee and noted the RRs..........

    Pressed for time to catch my flights I didn't notice any
    Big Boys but wasn't looking either.........geo
    #14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1