The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ronco Rotisserie Techniques?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Wed, 08/24/05 10:02 AM (permalink)
Yes,
I bought one. Not from the t.v. though! I bought it on craigslist and have used it for fish (which works really really well) Last night, the salmon came out great. Especially since I cooked it a little long, which usually results in a dry salmon (I like to under cook them slightly) But even though the salmon was well done, it was still juicy and savory.

So, as it relates to chicken, has anyone done a full chicken in the rotisserie.
Do you just stick it in with spices rubed on the outside? Or do you have another way?

(Also, any tips on doing ribs)

PS Obviously I've seen the video, but wondering what other people are doing with their machines.

Thanks!

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
    RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Wed, 08/24/05 10:46 AM (permalink)
    I have one and no longer care to cook whole chicken any other way. I prefer to keep it simple. I just rub salt, garlic powder and onion powder on the skin and let it go. I tend to cook it a little longer than recommended because I like the skin to get really crispy. I also let it rotate with no heat for a few minuted before I take it out and cut into it. This is mainly because the skewer thingy is so hot that it will melt that little plastic stand they give you. I prefer to slow cook ribs so I don't use the rotisserie for them.

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
      RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Wed, 08/24/05 10:57 AM (permalink)
      I was given one of these by my kids for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I have to say, the chickens that I've done in it are just wonderful, juicy and very tasty.
      I've done a few different recipes, but the one that most folks really seem to like is a lemon pepper version. Rinse the bird thoroughly inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Season the inside of the bird with some kosher salt and lemon pepper seasoning. Slice a fresh lemon in half, and place the two halves in the bird. Tie the bird closed and place on the spits. Rub the skin of the bird with a little butter (or use an oil spray), and then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and then generously sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on. A little parsley to finish, and pop it into the Ronco. I've also done cajun spiced chicken, as well as barbecue, and one with garlic and onions in the bird - and all have been excellent! Try this also - buy a pound or so of 'extra large' shrimp - 20 to a lb. or so, and get one or two FRESH local tomatoes. peel the shrimp, and slice the tomatoes approximately 1/4 inch thick. Season the shrimp and tomatoes with a little italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the shrimp between two tomato slices, and fill the Ronco basket with the shrimp/tomato "sandwiches". Sprinkle generously with grated parmesean cheese and a little oregano, and pop into the broiler. Cook until the shrimp are done, approximately 15-20 minutes. Yum!
      P.S. the thingy is also great for brats and knocks!

Scorereader

RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Mon, 09/19/05 1:54 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the tips guys.

I prepared the outside and inside of the chicken, first with some oil and lemon juice, then salt and pepper, and some herbs.

I used the flavor injecter and injected a vidalia onion barbecue sauce in various spot.

set if, forget it (sort of) and it came our incredibly nice.

The flavor injector worked like a charm. The meat was tender and succulent.

The thing is almost fool proof.

My wife, who can only prepare a handful of dishes, has thoroughly enjoyed making fish using the machine, especially salmon.

bf

• Total Posts: 2
          RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Thu, 11/1/07 1:52 PM (permalink)
          re scorereader

yup.. did a chicken yesterday. turned out great.

wash and dry the chicken.
          I injected marinade and used it to rub on the skin and inside.
          put the chicken on the spits taking care to balance it as well as possible.

Cook for 18-20 minutes per pound. Baste as necessary. (i only basted it twice, the first time with melted butter, and the skin was crisp)

One thing i did different than other times was i put a flatish drip pan under the bird and added some water... catches the drippings to baste with and keeps the chicken moister than previous tries.

good luck :)

bf

packerwmn

• Total Posts: 158
            RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Fri, 11/2/07 1:37 PM (permalink)
            Try a pork roast on there - they turn out awesome too! Just season and spin....

Scorereader

RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Sun, 11/4/07 1:44 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by packerwmn

Try a pork roast on there - they turn out awesome too! Just season and spin....

yeah, my original post was two years ago. I've done quite a bit with it since then. Pork roasts, countless chickens, all sorts of fish (sea and lake), leg of lamb, etc.

I haven't ever done ribs, as I thought I would, because I bought a new bbq-er shortly after that post and I use that for ribs, skirt steaks, etc.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Sun, 11/4/07 2:27 AM (permalink)
                I'm still scar'd from all the ads back in the 70's. Seems like Ronco came out with a gadget for just about every occasion (though they missed out on the Chia Pet)..
                But I've read alot about the rotisserie. All good at that.. But I picture some plastic gizmo, with a heater coil on the bottom, power cord that overheats and circuit breakers that keep popping. So I guess my question here, along with my comments, is if this unit is durable? Hows the construction?? Pics would be appreciated also (not from a website, but someone thats actually put the unit to the test).

gcw

• Total Posts: 44
                  RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Tue, 11/6/07 1:39 AM (permalink)
                  We bought a Ronco rotisserie, this model:

http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/rotisseries-5000t.html

We bought it four years ago and use it often year round, even more in the winter when it's too cold to grill. We cook rotisserie chickens, two at a time. We can and do cook a turkey up to 15 pounds. We do pork back ribs (no, they're not as good as BBQ'ed but better than nothing in the winter). Pork chops, pork roasts, leg of lamb, sirloin tip roasts, fish. You name it. Everything is great.

gcw

• Total Posts: 44
                    RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Tue, 11/6/07 1:45 AM (permalink)
                    Well, then, that wasn't suppose to post. Hit the wrong key!

We wondered about cleaning, but it's not bad. The door and back splash are removable. We learned to cover the drip pan with foil.

For some good tips and recipes I found a cookbook called "The Ultimate Rotisserie Cookbook" by Diane Phillips.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2012
                      RE: Ronco Rotisserie Techniques? Tue, 11/6/07 7:50 AM (permalink)
                      Lots of Rotisserie Recipes here. Most are from Ron's cookbook.
                      http://southernfood.about.com/library/recipes/blrotisserie.htm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com