The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael

banditwine

• Total Posts: 15
Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 9:19 PM (permalink)
Also to fellow Insiders. I log in as banditwine and wanted to let you know I lost my fellow Insider of 20 years , Nanci in mid July. Your books and articles over the years gave her great enjoyment. We often took trips from one cafe to the next enjoying the journey inbetween.During the last several years her health deteroirated to where our travels basically stopped , except thru your books. You may remember me for we had tickets for the Chicago tour but on the day she just wasn't up for it. I came down for our HATS & surprise and both of you signed your Roadfood book for Nanci. With the Hats. popcorn and signed Book you really made her day.Just wanted to say that thru your Roadfood adventures you gave her dreams and journeys where she could't go physically. Thank you!! I'll still be checking in , but it's not fun to eat alone. banditwine

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 9:29 PM (permalink)

Our thoughts are with you to provide what comfort we can at your loss. God Bless you and may Nanci Rest in Peace enjoying whatever the roadfood stops in Heaven may be.

AL & Janet Bowen

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
      RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 9:40 PM (permalink)
      Next month will be a year since I laid my father to rest. While I cannot truly understand YOUR sorrow, I am sure that we share common ground.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
        RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 9:52 PM (permalink)
        Very sorry to hear of your loss. It hurts to loose a loved one, for sure.
        lleechef and Zman

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
          RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 9:55 PM (permalink)
          what a moving letter. I wish you all the best, and comfort.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
            RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 10:38 PM (permalink)
            First of all, I want to extend my deepest sympathy to you. I know (only too well) how difficult it is for you at this time. My husband was the "king" of Roadfood adventures for me. His love for roadfood restaurants and enjoying conversations with all the "local folks" made our travels real adventures.

The hardest trip I ever made was 2 months after he died when I decided that I had to get on the road and had to eat alone and prove to myself that I could. I ended up by making reservations for the most elegant restaurant in Harrisonburg, VA. and drove there and got a room in a motel. Book in hand,(as a companion) I went into the restaurant (the only person alone) on a Saturday night. I was seated and treated most graciously. I never had a chance to open my book as I became engaged in a conversation with a professor from Boston University who was treating his elderly aunt to dinner that evening. It turned out to be a lovely evening but the pain was still there,

You are right..............it is not fun to eat alone. I think that no one can ever get used to it.

But I do wish you many Roadfood adventures and that you will come to realize that it is a good way to cope. Now that it has been three years since his death, I can feel that he is happy for all my new roadfood adventures and new friends.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 10:52 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by banditwine

Also to fellow Insiders. I log in as banditwine and wanted to let you know I lost my fellow Insider of 20 years , Nanci in mid July.

I extend my empathy and good wishes for you, and I assure you that you have many prayers coming your way. The Roadfooders are a great group of people.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sat, 09/3/05 11:19 PM (permalink)
                I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
                There's a restaurant called Country Cooking in Orange, VA my grandmother always loved. Every time I go in there I get pretty sad, because she raised me, you know?
                But I always see old friends and family in there. They make me feel better.
                These next few months will be hard for you, but there's always time to start new traditions and honor the old ones.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                  RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sun, 09/4/05 2:54 AM (permalink)
                  Banditwine,
                  I have experienced the death of loved ones, but it would be wrong to say I know how you feel. If I were by your side, I would hug and hold you, but words...this is a hard time to hear words. It is clear that you and Nanci were intertwined, your love is evident, a testimony of the best of human relations. Ah, my words stink...Banditwine, remember the good, but take care of yourself now. Take care of yourself and grow because it is good, and because someone that loves you wants you to.
                  Fieldthistle

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
                    RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sun, 09/4/05 10:44 PM (permalink)
                    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to comprehend what it would be like to lose someone that close to me, as I have not yet experienced it. Just be glad for the times that you shared together which will live on forever in your memory. My prayers are with you.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                      RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sun, 09/4/05 11:21 PM (permalink)
                      I cannot tell you how deeply I feel your loss. I lost my wife of nearly 33 years, and with her I lost my reason for being. It will not be easy. It has been a little over seven years for me, and I grieve. The only advise I can offer is for you to find a group that can help you in your grief. I did not, and I was stupid.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                        RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Mon, 09/5/05 12:41 AM (permalink)
                        my prayers and thoughts are with you....

Taco_Ted

• Total Posts: 8
                          RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sun, 09/25/05 11:34 AM (permalink)
                          CENSORED.

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
                            RE: Open letter of Thanks-to Jane &Michael Sun, 09/25/05 11:43 AM (permalink)
                            I'm so sorry for your loss.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com