The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Sun, 09/4/05 12:52 PM (permalink)
Hello all ,

For my 100th post on the forum , I will give you my trip report from Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh .

The small establishment is located right off Rt. 9 w a few blocks south of Broadway .
Minimal parking on site , but street parking avaialble in front of . Signs posted state 15 minutes only .

The interior has a few small two chair tables and a few stools at the counter to the left of the ordering station .

I visited on two consecutive Wednsdays recently and found two vastly different experiences.

I ordered the same for both visits . a #1 , #3 ,#5 .

Number #1 is mustard and kraut
Number #3 is mustard and chili sauce
Number #5 is mustard and Raw onions

First visit I arrived during a very busy lunch hour . 12:30pm .
Line was almost out the door , with emts, suits and ties and mechanics all patiently awaiting to order .

One counter man , older gentleman taking orders , with two younger twenty somethings making the dogs to order.

After about a ten minute wait with ten people in front of me , which I considered to be very quick considering the crowd , I ordered.

I exited with the dogs to my vehicle as I wanted to take some notes , and did not want any undue influences from the establishment .
This from a long ago past experience while in college , of a restaurant owner looking to change a review I was preparing for my local college paper.

Anyway , as this was my first visit in years to Petes , I did not know what to expect . I was hoping for a great three dogs .

The dog itself was tasty , but the toppings were not what I expected .

All three you could not taste the mustard , minimal kraut on #1 , and chili sauce nearly non existent on #3 .
Best out of three was #5 where the raw onions saved the day .

Now I should have followed the roadfooders advice and had one plain , but I did taste a great dog under the weak toppings .

My overall visit was fair , I wanted to chalk it up to a very busy lunch time crowd , a second visit would confirm a great experience was had the second time .

I will continue with the second visit in the coming days .

Benzee

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 1:13 AM (permalink)
    Thanks Benzee! Wow, only 100 posts? I've read so much info from you I could swear you have posted 1000 times... Thanks for the good and informative reports!

Benzee

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 1:37 AM (permalink)
      Hey Uncle Vic ,

You are telling me ? I thought I had more than 100 also , but what can you do , I'm just happy to have found you all . It is a pleasure to be part of the roadfood community .

As for my second visit to Petes .

The following Wed. I visited about ten minutes before Noon . Walked right in , no line . Ordered the same three dogs from the week before .

Vastly superior toppings this time .
      The #1 still remained fair as the kraut taste did not come through , but the mustard , alas there was mustard on that there dog !!

The #3 with the chili was an outstanding dog this time around . Plenty of chili sauce , not overpowering the dog but just the right taste for me .

The #5 was once again a good dog , raw onions tasted fab.

Second visit as far as toppings go would bring the total experience to a very good .

As far as prices , under $2 per dog with toppings . Good value

So to recap , first visit was fair , second very good .

Overall a good recomendation for Petes in Newburgh . Try to avoid arriving during the lunch hour if you have a choice , if you do stick with the plain dog , maybe add mustard as the toppings can be hit or miss when it is busy.

I would add this place to an Upstate NY dog tour to go along with Coney Island in Middletown , I would just time the visit to avoid the lunch hour rush .

Benzee

BigGlenn

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 1:41 AM (permalink)
        Doing Good Son.....

But wheres the pictures......

LOL

Big Glenn

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 1:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Benzee

Hey Uncle Vic ,

You are telling me ? I thought I had more than 100 also , but what can you do , I'm just happy to have found you all . It is a pleasure to be part of the roadfood community .
          Benzee

NO! We're glad we found YOU! Reading your reports (and others) makes one want to jump in a car a drive hundreds of miles.. Even in these gas gouging days! Reports like yours makes it hard to stay at home and not sample something 100's a miles away... Adding a pic or two would be nice though, but damn, your words are worth a 100 pics... THANKS!

Benzee

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 11:25 AM (permalink)
            Hello all ,

Thanks for the kind words Uncle Vic . I did not think about pictures as I was flying solo , but If I'm up there again soon I will definetly bring the digital and take some shots.

Hey Big Glen , maybe a little tease , the pictures will come out after we pull off the Upstate NY dog tour .
            Do not upset yourselves about pictures , this place is a little 400 or 500 sq foot place , mostly for takeout .

I really should take pictures of the surrounding area , not the most pleasant after dark .

Benzee

BrooklynBill

• Total Posts: 187
              RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 5:34 PM (permalink)
              Benzee –

Thanks for a very comprehensive review.
              I have passed Petes a few times and always decided against maneuvering my Tundra down that crowded, narrow street. Again this was all before I was bitten by the Roadfood bug.

See you on the 17th.

Bill

NAAMikey

• Total Posts: 193
                RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 7:37 PM (permalink)
                Doesn't matter what it looks like, it's the food that counts. I eat there a lot and have never felt threatened or appprehensive in any way. I love Pete's hot dogs!.............Mike

Benzee

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 09/5/05 8:04 PM (permalink)
                  Mike ,

I wanted to add that some people may be a little apprehensive after dark in the City of Newburgh .

Knowing the crime rates in the area , that needs to be relayed to everyone before they embark on a visit .

I also never have encountered any problems in the area .

Benzee

Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
                    RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Mon, 01/1/07 11:59 AM (permalink)
                    Every time I go there I see someone different, possibly the reason for variation in taste and toppings? I say this because I had the same experience, one day ok and the other great.

As for parking, I have no problem fitting my F-250 XCab in there.

Since Newburgh Meat Packing closed and took Temple Hill with them, a new review is needed!

Thanks for the review!!

Benzee

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Sat, 01/6/07 10:33 AM (permalink)
                      Hello Hot dog King ,

We will certainly have to get together for a mini meet since you are in the area .
                      I have stopped by Petes occasionally when in the area since last reviews and nothing has changed my mind from the past .
                      Try to avoid the lunch crowd if you can help it andd you will have a much better culinary experience .

Taking a drive today to visit this new place Worlds Hot dogs north of Newburgh and will probably stop at Petes on return .

Trip report to follow

Benzee

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                        RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Wed, 05/2/12 6:29 PM (permalink)
                        Just an update to insure that all is well in the Hot Dog World, at least as far as Pete's in Newburgh, N.Y. is concerned. 

As is my habit to celebrate the coming of spring, I drove up to Pete's in Newburgh a couple of weekends ago. It is a time of the year when the leaves are just beginning to fill the trees in the Hudson Valley with a very light, virgin green.

At Pete's, I did  my frankfurter hat trick (Texas Weiner, Sweetworks {mustard, sauerkraut and sweet relish}, and one with red, sauteed, N.Y. pushcart style onions). All was perfect. Oh...I had  half of a mustard and kraut, too, courtesy of a friend who only wanted a half. Oh, and another chili dog...the hotter one they offer, just to try and remember once and for all the difference between the two. I like both...but the Texas Weiner variety is decidedly milder. It was all great...the atmosphere unchanged, regulars filtering in, and hot dogs served with a serious dedication to the craft...my confidence in mankind unshaken.

As a footnote, the dogs served here are Boar's Head, natural casing all beefs...about 10 to a pound, steamed or boiled, I believe. These are the ones with the peerless snap to 'em.

And, to be sure a similar happy situation exists at another of my 5 or so favorite dog purveyors in these United States, from there I drove to Hiram's hot dog stand in Fort Lee, N.J., via the glorious Palisades Interstate Parkway...a great scenic ride if ever there were one. I'm happy to report all went swimmingly well here, too.

A chili dog, still constructed of a pork/beef natural casing Thumann's deep-fried, about 6 to the lb., was excellent. Had to have another  half here, too, to help out a friend, of course. 

Oh, did I mention the day of my mini-tour kicked off from Kenilworth, N.J.'s Jimmy Buff's with a Double Italian Hot Dog? Comprised of two deep-fried Best all-beef, skinless dogs ensconced in perfect Pizza Bread, adorned with peppers, onions, crispy sliced potatoes, with mustard at the bottom of the pouch and ketchup atop the potatoes, no amount of money or effort could have made it better.  
                             What a trip. I suggest you do the same at your very earliest convenience. Bon Voyage, mon ami!

The Bear

<message edited by ScreenBear on Wed, 05/2/12 6:33 PM>

Benzee

RE: Mini Trip Report - Petes Hot Dogs in Newburgh NY Fri, 05/4/12 9:06 PM (permalink)
                          Thanks Bear ,
                          Nice to see a seven yr old thread return from the back pages .
                          Petes is still there and serving good dogs
                          Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com