The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Awesome, great bakery in Delaware Water Gap

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2935
Awesome, great bakery in Delaware Water Gap Thu, 09/8/05 2:49 PM (permalink)
The Village Farmer and Bakery, on Rt 611.

The specialty here is pies. I saw all of them, all that you can think of, including "mixed forest berries". I saw shoo-fly, pecan, coconut custard, peach, apple, and many more. I saw huckleberry. I saw all the fruit pies in both crust and crumb styles. You name it, if they don't have it they have had it at some time. I saw strawberry-rhubarb. Banana. Lemon and lemon meringue.

I tried the blueberry crumb, the apple, and the cherry. Friends, these pies taste like they came down from heaven on the hand of God. The fillings are fruity and sweet and taste fresh. The crusts are light and flaky, and break into little flakes rather than into crumbs. They are huge, too, heavy and deep and laden with filling. The price per pie is around $11.

They also have "pie" candles that look good enough to eat...

Tom

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
    RE: Awesome, great bakery in Delaware Water Gap Sat, 07/19/08 9:24 AM (permalink)
    But, do they have Grape Nut Blueberry pie? If not, does anyone know where this is served to perfection? Thanks.

The Bear

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
      RE: Awesome, great bakery in Delaware Water Gap Sat, 07/19/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
      Mosca - from what i recall rt. 611 is a pretty long road - do you have a town and/or landmarks for the Village Farmer and Bakery?
      thanks!
      (i've got guests coming this weekend and no time or inclination to make my own pie in this heat!)

Diner-Lover

• Total Posts: 246
        RE: Awesome, great bakery in Delaware Water Gap Sat, 07/19/08 1:19 PM (permalink)
        Sneetch, Mr.D-L and I went for a drive up Rte. 611 and along the Delaware River this past Monday and bought some good chocolate chunk cookies at the bakery and noticed all the great looking pies. They also have lots of other baked goods and even fancy-looking pastries, some produce, and jars of jams, honey, etc. The area doesn't seem too populated to be able to sell the large amount of goodies they have for sale, but maybe they get customers who are willing to travel a ways.

When I used to read online journals of people hiking the Appalachian trail, the Village Bakery was frequently mentioned since the AT passes through Delaware Water Gap. There's even a hostel where hikers can stay, up the hill from the bakery on Rte. 611, "The Presbyterian Church of the Mountain Hostel", and the hikers often wrote about the hot dog and apple pie special available at the bakery for around $1.50.

Here's a map I found that will help you find the bakery. We just drove down the Main St. (Rte. 611) and made a right turn at the bottom of the hill, and it was just a short distance on the right-- big sign, you can't miss it.

http://allentown.citysearch.com/profile/map/8851880/delaware_water_gap_pa/village_farmer_bakery.html

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com