The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies!

Smiller0722

• Total Posts: 2
The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies! Thu, 09/15/05 6:38 PM (permalink)
This little restaurant is unassuming and in a little town close to Pickwick Dam in Iuka, Mississippi. We started going there about 20 years ago. They did not have a menu to pass out then, only one on the wall. They did not need it! People know what they want when they go there. It is advertised as a steak and fish restaurant and both are excellent. Catfish is whole or boneless filets(kids love these), ribeye steaks are cut by your specifications and grilled by the owner's son ( he has been doing this since I believe high school). The best part, by far, are the hushpuppies. They are small, round and slightly sweet. NO corn, NO onions, just small balls of perfection. I could make a meal out of these! Good salad bar, also. I look forward to going there everytime I am at Pickwick Lake!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies! Thu, 09/15/05 7:00 PM (permalink)
    Smiller,

For those of us not real familiar with Mississippi (other than the Gulf Coast), can you give us a bit more on the location of this place? Hours? Prices? etc

Thanks, AL

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
      RE: The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies! Thu, 09/15/05 8:10 PM (permalink)
      Smiler, sounds like a real winner. I do love hushpuppies and your description had my mouth watering....Will try if when in the area.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057

Sundancer7

RE: The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies! Mon, 09/19/05 9:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Smiller0722

This little restaurant is unassuming and in a little town close to Pickwick Dam in Iuka, Mississippi. We started going there about 20 years ago. They did not have a menu to pass out then, only one on the wall. They did not need it! People know what they want when they go there. It is advertised as a steak and fish restaurant and both are excellent. Catfish is whole or boneless filets(kids love these), ribeye steaks are cut by your specifications and grilled by the owner's son ( he has been doing this since I believe high school). The best part, by far, are the hushpuppies. They are small, round and slightly sweet. NO corn, NO onions, just small balls of perfection. I could make a meal out of these! Good salad bar, also. I look forward to going there everytime I am at Pickwick Lake!

I believe this is a little town located on the border of Tennessee and Mississippi. I have never been there although I have traveled on the routes close to there.

I may be close to there this week and if I can, I will give a report on my thoughts.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Smiller0722

• Total Posts: 2
            RE: The Country Squire - Catfish and BEST hushpuppies! Fri, 09/30/05 7:34 AM (permalink)
            This town is in the Pickwick Dam area, close to the Tom-Bigbee waterway. Other towns nearby are Savannah, Tennessee and Florence, Alabama

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com