Lebanon Bologna

Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
2005/09/18 23:28:44 (permalink)

Lebanon Bologna

We came across an Amish owned bulk foods store and they had this sliced store wrapped lunch meat. After a trip to the New Glarus bakery to buy some really fantastic rye bread, I made a sandwich with this sausage. It, although called bologna, tasted like a smoky summer sausage. It was great but can someone fill me in on this product? We were returning from a blues festival in Monroe, Wisconsin so we probably won't get another chance to buy more this year. With a fresh local tomato, I thought about posting this on the best sandwich thread but I'd really like to know more about the meat.

25 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 01:59:53 (permalink)
    I don't know the history of lebanon but Ive loved it since... well as long as I can remember. I know its available at almost any deli counter in eastern pa and nj and even the publix deli here in florida. I generally use american cheese and catsup, or get thicker slices and chunk it along with cheddar for a snack plate. One day the gal at the local publix deli asked about my choice saying she was from Lebanon and had never heard of it before.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 05:52:41 (permalink)
    Lebanon bologna is pretty widely available at grocery stores whereever I have lived, which is up and down the east coast.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 06:31:42 (permalink)
    Here's a thread with lots of Lebanon bologna information.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6092&SearchTerms=bologna
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2306
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 08:19:41 (permalink)
    On my roadfood trip last month, I stopped at Seltzer's in Palmyra. I didn't care for my first taste of sweet bologna. I liked the original, but my favorite thing there was the spicy beef jerky.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3154
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 17:57:12 (permalink)
    Well thanks for the link. I'm sure mine isn't the sweet but I have no idea as to its maker. It sure is a great product and here in Milwaukee we have Usingers, Klements and numerous neighborhood sausage makers but the taste on this was unique. Now about that Lebanon bologna and peanut butter combo; might that be fried?
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 22:45:57 (permalink)
    FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICHES

Hi,
    Does anyone know what the bologna of choice is out in Cincinnati for their famous fried bologna sandwiches? I'm told they're all the rage out there..even sell 'em at the ballpark in large numbers. Plus, I'm wondering: Do they use sliced bologna, or do they put one big thick slice on the griddle, about hamburger thickness, with some cuts around the edges to give it character? That's how I'd try it. Also, do they use a toasted Kaiser role? Yep, I think that's how I'd build it, yessiree. Or you know what? How about on a toasted English muffin...if only the English muffin were about 30% bigger, huh?
    I phoned some bar in a small town outside of Cincinnati that was famous for their fried bologna sandwich and tried to get some info. They were mum on the subject. Any experts out there? Thanks.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/19 23:28:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

On my roadfood trip last month, I stopped at Seltzer's in Palmyra. I didn't care for my first taste of sweet bologna. I liked the original, but my favorite thing there was the spicy beef jerky.

I don't like the sweet bologna either!

My first taste of Lebanon Bologna was at Seltzer's, like you. That would have been back in the late 80's. It's good stuff (the "original"). In my opinion, it's more like salami than bologna.

I can buy it at Central Market in Austin now.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/20 00:00:24 (permalink)
    It actually is a sausage. Salted and then fermented and aged. The Lebanon part comes from Lebanon, PA.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18458
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/20 12:27:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

FRIED BOLOGNA SANDWICHES

Hi,
    Does anyone know what the bologna of choice is out in Cincinnati for their famous fried bologna sandwiches? I'm told they're all the rage out there..even sell 'em at the ballpark in large numbers. Plus, I'm wondering: Do they use sliced bologna, or do they put one big thick slice on the griddle, about hamburger thickness, with some cuts around the edges to give it character? That's how I'd try it. Also, do they use a toasted Kaiser role? Yep, I think that's how I'd build it, yessiree. Or you know what? How about on a toasted English muffin...if only the English muffin were about 30% bigger, huh?
    I phoned some bar in a small town outside of Cincinnati that was famous for their fried bologna sandwich and tried to get some info. They were mum on the subject. Any experts out there? Thanks.

I think you might have your Ohio cities a bit mixed up. And I'd bet that the bar you called was the G&R Tavern in Waldo, Ohio, which is about 30 miles north of Columbus.

G&R uses a bologna made especially for them, but you can use any brand and get similar results. You slice it about a half-inch thick, score it at four points around the edge to keep it from curling, and then fry it till it gets a bit crusty on both sides. Add some cheese and you have what's called a Hillbilly Cheeseburger. Serve it on a bun with whatever condiments you like> (Mustard and relish for me.)
    ScreenBear
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/20 12:33:35 (permalink)
    Yep,
    It was G & R. Thanks for the info, Michael. Will follow through, as soon as I can spare the calories. Which brand bologna do you prefer?
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/20 14:01:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

It actually is a sausage. Salted and then fermented and aged. The Lebanon part comes from Lebanon, PA.
    Well THAT makes sence! thank you.. Those of you referring to Palmyra... What state is it? Having lived in Palmyra NJ for a couple yrs and the only local deli being in the WaWa I'm curious
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18458
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/20 14:09:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Yep,
    It was G & R. Thanks for the info, Michael. Will follow through, as soon as I can spare the calories. Which brand bologna do you prefer?

Well, I live about 30 miles from G&R, and I pass by several times a year, so I get to stop in. Additionally, there's a reztaurant in Columbus called the Red Door Tavern that makes fried bologna sandwiches, so the only time I make my own is in deer camp. For that I just buy whatever chunk of bologna I see in the supermarket.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2005/09/21 07:28:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Well THAT makes sence! thank you.. Those of you referring to Palmyra... What state is it? Having lived in Palmyra NJ for a couple yrs and the only local deli being in the WaWa I'm curious

Palmyra, PA is near Lebanon and where the bologna plant is. This bologna and the sweet bologna is more of a sausage than the straight or butcher's bologna with the pinkish color most are familiar with. Leb. and sweet bolognas have a deep, dark "maroon color interspersed with flecks of fat and spices. I always take a few pounds of the stuff back when I visit the area.
    tater dickens
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2006/07/04 23:35:43 (permalink)
    Both Seltzers and Weavers make great Lebanon bologna. Don't even bother with the sweet variety as the original is the best.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 855
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/02 19:39:48 (permalink)
    Have recently posted elsewhere on this, but am anxious to spread the word. If you are near Palmyra, and can stop at the Seltzer's outlet, try the double smoked version of their products. We only see the standard stuff down in the Delaware/ Maryland area where I live, so this is a new experience. Forgive the exuberance. The smoky aroma just fills the car all the way home , and it goes well with the IPAs that I favor. And the thrift shop that adjoins the outlet does some valuable and highly regarded work in the community. Very kind staff as well.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1312
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/02 23:53:58 (permalink)
    When I order some from the local deli, if they don't think somebody set the place on fire, then it's not Lebanon Bologna.

Bart
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/03 00:52:18 (permalink)
    Try for the double smoked ponroduct. Comletely different. Also great atop salm
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1013
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/09/10 11:14:47 (permalink)
    There's an Amish store near Seneca Falls, NY (Sauder's) that carries it. I always get a pound when I happen to be out near there. I have to buy a loaf of bread and make a sandwich in the parking lot or else I wouldn't be able to stand the drive home.
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/10/23 20:46:27 (permalink)
    this i gotta try
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/10/24 12:09:11 (permalink)
    This thread reminded me of a PA butcher shop with some very good sausages including Lebanon Bologna.  Off I-78 near the Lehigh Valley.
    http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/index.htm
    Don't forget to get your game dressed and pick up some fresh rendered lard, too.

brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/10/24 13:17:16 (permalink)
    I'm going to go against the trend here and cast a vote for the sweet bologna. It gets more limited distribution but when we are in areas where it is sold, my family devours it by the pound.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2012/10/24 19:22:00 (permalink)
    I like the sweet as well, but only when I can get the double smoked version
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2013/04/03 20:07:15 (permalink)
    For me Lebanon Bologna is hit or miss. I like "some" brands of Lebanon bologna. Walmart carries a brand I do not like. It just has a weird taste.

There's a place in the Allentown Farmers Market that makes herbed cream cheese wrapped inside lebanon bologna. They were fantastic.

ScreenBear
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2013/04/03 22:05:53 (permalink)
    Seltzer's of Pennsylvania makes very good Lebanon Bologna, which, indeed, looks and tastes more like what most folks consider to be salami. Their lean variety is especially fine. Unfortunately, I can no longer find it around these parts. 

The Bear
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10267
    RE: Lebanon Bologna 2013/04/03 23:47:47 (permalink)
    ScreenBear
    Seltzer's of Pennsylvania makes very good Lebanon Bologna, which, indeed, looks and tastes more like what most folks consider to be salami. Their lean variety is especially fine. Unfortunately, I can no longer find it around these parts.  
    The Bear

Funny you can't get it. We even get it out here in AZ! We're from PA. It's the only brand my Bride will eat!
    Try contacting the company and asking them for the store nearest you.
    You can order it on-line:
    http://www.seltzerslebanon.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1