The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Re-Steam Cooked Crab??

Hogbody

• Total Posts: 29
Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Sat, 09/24/05 9:01 PM (permalink)
Please let me know how you Re~Heat/Steam already cooked crab that you get fresh at the store...I don't want to totally kill it...don't know what to do? Thanks for all your help :)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
    RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Sun, 09/25/05 2:51 AM (permalink)
    What kind of crab? Dungeness? King Crab? Blue crab? Jonah crab?

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
      RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Sun, 09/25/05 9:31 AM (permalink)
      Why would you want to resteam the crab?? Just warm the dipping butter! If adding precooked crab to a recipe, add it at the end to prevent overcooking, ike you would with shrimp..

Hogbody

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
        It is Dungeness crab...I just want to recreate what would be served to you in a restaurant. We eat cold crab all the time with cocktail sauce & mayo. I just want to do something different.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 1:44 PM (permalink)
          I'd say just steam it yourself in the first place. You'd get the honor of cleaning it yourself too. I think most you get at the store is boiled though.

Consult with the folks at Pure Food Fish at Pike's ... they'll set you straight.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
            RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 3:36 PM (permalink)
            Mr. H Mr. H ,

Please pick up your phone and give these people your opinion on this subject!

Macdaddy

• Total Posts: 73
              RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 4:28 PM (permalink)
              I was in the live Dungeness business here in Seattle for 4 years. I would simply dunk the whole crab in boiling water for 45 seconds. It will be hot, and moist like you just cooked it. One problem with steaming an allready cooked crab is that the meat tends to stick to the inside of the shell. It is much easier to "Shake" meat from a crab that has been boiled rather than steamed.
              All whole cooked crab that you buy at the store is boiled, rather than steamed. You get much better flavor that way.
              Also be wary of buying whole cooked crab from a store that has a live tank as well. They are simply boiling crabs that have died in their tanks. Who knows how long they have been dead.

Sundancer7

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 4:58 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Macdaddy

I was in the live Dungeness business here in Seattle for 4 years. I would simply dunk the whole crab in boiling water for 45 seconds. It will be hot, and moist like you just cooked it. One problem with steaming an allready cooked crab is that the meat tends to stick to the inside of the shell. It is much easier to "Shake" meat from a crab that has been boiled rather than steamed.
                All whole cooked crab that you buy at the store is boiled, rather than steamed. You get much better flavor that way.
                Also be wary of buying whole cooked crab from a store that has a live tank as well. They are simply boiling crabs that have died in their tanks. Who knows how long they have been dead.

McDaddy: Great advice and I appreciate your advice.

Paul E. Smith
                knoxville, TN

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 4:59 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Macdaddy

Should we be just as concerned about lobsters??

Macdaddy

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 5:08 PM (permalink)
                    You should be concerned if you see a live tank full of lobsters.
                    But in regards to re- cooking you can stem lobsters. the meat comes out in a few huge pieces as apposed to a bunch of little guys like crab. But boiling with the head, innards ect. adds much more flavor. It makes it's own "stock" as it were.
                    Actually you want to cook these bugs dead. But right after they die. I "drown" my Dungies in warm fresh water until they die before I throw them in the pot. This way they wont freak out and blow off all their legs when they hit the hot water.

Macdaddy

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 6:08 PM (permalink)

McDaddy: Great advice and I appreciate your advice.

Paul E. Smith
                      knoxville, TN

No Problem Sundancer. I don't post much, but I read them all, and god knows I have gotten plenty of great advice from your posts since I have been coming here.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                        RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 6:40 PM (permalink)
                        I pulled this technique off Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' for king crab legs; expect it'd work for Dungeness. (I'll have to try it out on one of'em):

Thaw overnight in fridge (if frozen), allow to drain (eat within 24 hours)

Cut three legs into sections (maybe break up whole crab into equivalent-size parts)

Wrap in 2 layers paper towels with some fresh dill, then in plastic wrap

Microwave on high approx. 2 minutes

Works pretty nicely; doesn't get overcooked and soggy like using boiling water would. Here in Atlanta I don't see too many live Dungies and the blues I see are usually puny, picked over, clawless things. I really got to get to the coast.

Macdaddy

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 6:52 PM (permalink)
                          I used to sell about 5,000 lbs of live Dungies per week into Atlanta. Check Asian groceries. Try Hong Kong Supermarket, I can't remember the address.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                            RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Mon, 09/26/05 8:35 PM (permalink)
                            I found that steaming or boiling really hurt a lot -- too much to want to steam or boil them again. That's why I use a topical cream available by prescription, only. It doesn't hurt a bit and it really gets those little devils.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                              RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Tue, 09/27/05 12:03 AM (permalink)
                              I figured the reason to get precooked crab was so you didn't have to cook 'em. i.e. use them for salads or crab cakes or other recipe need for precooked crab.

IMO, if you want to eat hot cooked crab, cook 'em yourself from the start. It doesn't take long to boil the buggers.

But, if you really want to buy them pre-cooked, I agree with dreamzpainter, just bring them to room temp and have them get warm when you dip it into the drawn butter.

On the whole, I never buy pre-cooked seafood. I don't trust it. Seafood needs to be cooked fresh or flash frozen. I take heed when looking at pre-cooked seafood in the store, and after MacDaddy's warning, I will continue to take heed.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Tue, 09/27/05 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                It's not just buying precooked (blah) Sometimes you have a few leftovers from a crab boil. Ive never had dungeness crab and alaskan crab legs only during a special at a seafood chain. Trying to clean and eat blueclaws while still hot results in singed finger tips but IMHO even crabcakes are best eatin cold

Hogbody

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Tue, 09/27/05 6:27 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks everyone for all the suggestions & thanks Mac for the heads up on the live tank senario....nasty!! I believe it! I take it you are from the Seattle area. I have found the best fresh/dead crab can be purchased at "QFC". Where do you go for your seafood? I gotta share a little story with ya. Last month my husband and I went down the Oregon coast and every seafood market we stopped at had "garbage grade" crab. Even in Ilwaco I guess we are so lucky as to go to a neighborhood store such as a "QFC" and get exceptional seafood.

Macdaddy

RE: Re-Steam Cooked Crab?? Tue, 09/27/05 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm from Montana, but I have been in Seattle for 7 years. Now I sell commodity seafoods. Halibut, Salmon, Sea Bass in large quantities.
                                    I get my Seafood at Mutual Fish, or at the Central Market in Shoreline. I have seen every fish counter in the area, and in my opinion these have by far the best fish. I don't buy fish at the Pike Place market, even though people love it there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com