Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6372
2005/09/26 21:41:35 (permalink)

Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

The Walleye is Minnesota's state fish and the Fried Walleye sandwich is the represented sandwich for Minnesota in the "AMERICAN SANDWICH" book by Becky Mercuri. No bar or pub in Minnesota serving food dare not have the Walleye sandwich on its menu. It is typically prepared with a cracker or bread crumb batter, deep fried and served on a hoagie type bun with shredded lettuce and tartar sauce. I know Wisconsin shares in this delectable treat. Once you move south the main equivalent fare in bars, pubs and restaurants becomes something else like the pork tenderloin sandwich in Indiana.

My pursuits start close to home. The best I tasted so far was at the Narrows Saloon in Navarre (Orono), Minnesota located in the midst of Lake Minnetonka two miles away from my home. What I like about their "Habanero Crusted Walleye Sandwich" is their slightly jalapeno flavored tartar sauce. Now the pursuit is on to find the ultimate Walleye sandwich. This should be fun and a lot less difficult than finding a pork tenderloin sandwich in Minnesota.

So how far does a true fried Walleye sandwich range? I have to believe Michigan and northern Ohio share as well.

133 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1