The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Fri, 09/30/05 4:32 PM (permalink)
If anyone needs slicers, freezers, coolers or the like look up if there are any Winn Dixie closings in your area. I've already gotten twice (according to my wife) what I'll ever need in equipment from these auctions. Paid next to nothing (scrap value basically) for a nice 20 qt Hobart mixer and a Blodget convection. Got everything the boss will allow me to buy...your trick now.

chef joe

• Total Posts: 57
    RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Fri, 09/30/05 6:02 PM (permalink)
    How do you hook up with this? I have one in my neighborhod that's being converted into a SweetBay. Thanks - Chef Joe!

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
      RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Fri, 09/30/05 7:50 PM (permalink)
      I was sad to see them go. At least in SC i liked Winn Dixie much more than Food Lion, Kroger or Bi-Lo. I do like the "Pig" in Litchfield though. Happy hunting on kitchen stuff, sounds pretty sweet!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Fri, 09/30/05 8:00 PM (permalink)
        Dearfolk,
        The Winn/Dixie right down the way from my house closed. Rumour has it that it will be replaced by a Hispanic grocery of larger proportions than any of its predecessors here are at present; it may actually be several competing merchants going in together.
        Their other, larger location on the Eastside is probably going to be a Publix - that's my guess, anyway.
        There will be very few things about them that I will miss. Their prices (except on specials) were higher than everyone else's and they were the only store locally that did not double coupons.
        I find myself missing my local Harris-Teeter store far more than I will W/D. Fortunately, my cards will still work at both places. It just might be worthwhile for me to visit H-T when I travel to Charlotte/Gastonia/Shelby to pick up what I cannot find here, such as Grandma Brown's Baked Beans and Jamison's and Mack's Livermush.
        Unmissingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Sat, 10/1/05 12:25 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
          The Winn/Dixie right down the way from my house closed. Rumour has it that it will be replaced by a Hispanic grocery of larger proportions than any of its predecessors here are at present; it may actually be several competing merchants going in together.
          Their other, larger location on the Eastside is probably going to be a Publix - that's my guess, anyway.
          There will be very few things about them that I will miss. Their prices (except on specials) were higher than everyone else's and they were the only store locally that did not double coupons.
          I find myself missing my local Harris-Teeter store far more than I will W/D. Fortunately, my cards will still work at both places. It just might be worthwhile for me to visit H-T when I travel to Charlotte/Gastonia/Shelby to pick up what I cannot find here, such as Grandma Brown's Baked Beans and Jamison's and Mack's Livermush.
          Unmissingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Wow, Double Coupons? Havent seen that around here in years... Thought that whole deal was extinct..

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
            RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Sat, 10/1/05 1:12 AM (permalink)
            There are still double coupons (up to $1.00) at some stores around Peoria. Even Kroger does it on occasion. Triple coupons, though, are pretty rare anymore.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
              RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Sat, 10/1/05 12:16 PM (permalink)
              To find the auctions do a google for restaurant equipment auction or the such.

Our local WD went Food Lion which is no surtprise when you consider the HQ of Food Lion in North America is twenty miles away.

First auction I visiteed I took my car...next one I took the truck. Stuff was so cheap.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Sat, 10/1/05 1:10 PM (permalink)
                Ha. Our local "Food Lion" replaced by "Harvey's" of which Food Lion just bought out. Go figure. Must be the bulk lard Harvey's has for sale; probably the 30# containers of chitlin's they offer, also.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Winn Dixie auctions Southern USA Sat, 10/1/05 3:13 PM (permalink)
                  Janet and I really enjoy AUCTION Shopping.(Even more than Flea Markets). Mid-week we get a throwaway newspaper with the local grocery ads and classifieds in it...and a few local news and sports stories too. In the classifieds there are anywhere from 6 to 15 or so Auction Listings. Most of them are estate sales-- a farm house, land broken up into useable parcels of 5-20 acres each, or sold whole...and a long list of personal property broken down into catagories like- Antiques- Collectibles- Guns- Farm Equipment-Tools- hobby stuff- etc. If the person has a real collection of merit then it will be described also. Business's write-ups usually describe the items on the auction list in enough detail for a novice like me to discern if we want to drive 50 miles out to the location to see if we want the items bad enough to bid on them.
                  Sometimes the whole estate is junk, not worth waiting around to bid on, but many times there are boxes of items that may have a valuable suprise in them. I was looking around at one, and dug around in a trash bag that had a couple of handmade Afghans in the top. Under them was a brand new, factory sealed bag with a king-sized dual control electric blanket. The seal had never been opened on the package. I waited for the bag to come up for bid....The auctioneer couldn't get $10 for the "bag of Afghans" so I offered $5. He closed immediately so he could move on to another item..and We got the Blanket for $5.
                  Yep auctions are fun, when you have the time and desire to wait them out!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com