The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC

Crew

• Total Posts: 3
Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/3/05 6:16 PM (permalink)
I’m in NYC and looking for the thinnest crust possible.
I was recently in Quebec City and had pizza that I swear was on a Matzo crust.
I was in heaven.

BKNY64

RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/3/05 6:29 PM (permalink)
    The thinnest crust I've seen in the NYC area is at Lento's in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. It's like a cracker crust.

Lento's 7003 Third Ave. (at 70th St.) (718) 745-9197.

Crew

RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/3/05 6:31 PM (permalink)
      :drool:
      mmmmmmm cracker crust.

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
        RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/3/05 7:18 PM (permalink)
        Looks good

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
          RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Tue, 10/4/05 10:01 AM (permalink)
          Federici's in Freehold NJ is very similar & very good!

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
            RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Tue, 10/4/05 7:57 PM (permalink)
            What about John's on Bleeker Street as the thinnest in the city?

MOC

• Total Posts: 40
              RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 1:18 PM (permalink)
              The best pizza in nyc is the original Patsy's on 1st ave. and 117th. Way thin curst that is in perfect balance with the sauce and cheese.... Not crisp necessarily but perfect and thin

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 2:27 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by peppertree

What about John's on Bleeker Street as the thinnest in the city?

thinnest or not thinnest, it's not very good pizza

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 3:15 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Scallion1

thinnest or not thinnest, it's not very good pizza

I must defend John's of Bleeker. In my opinion, it's excellent pizza. Top 4 of the brick-oven variety behind Lombardi's (my vote for the best on earth), Patsy's of 116th and Totonnos (ONLY the Coney Island branch). John's has consistantly fresh ingredients and delicious chewey/charred crust.

Scallion1

RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 3:31 PM (permalink)
                    To each his own. The other branches feature flat-out inedible food. The Bleeker Street store has, in my humble opinion, produced pizza that manages to be burnt and soggy at the same time.

Haven't tried Totonno's in Coney Island. The Manhattan branch is horrid.

Lombardi's is okay.

Patsy's is great. Only the original, on First Avenue.

None compares to Pepe's.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 3:41 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

...which is why it would be worthwhile to make the trek to Coney Island (and it is a trek.) The Manhattan branches have nothing to do with the original, except that they bought the rights to the name. The pizza at the Coney island branch is truly sublime.

Scallion1

RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 4:41 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Wigo

quote:

...which is why it would be worthwhile to make the trek to Coney Island (and it is a trek.) The Manhattan branches have nothing to do with the original, except that they bought the rights to the name. The pizza at the Coney island branch is truly sublime.

sounds like a plan. i've driven to new haven, spur of the moment, for white clam and bacon pies at pepe's, so coney island isn't a big deal. i'll give it a shot.

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
                          RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/8/05 6:04 PM (permalink)
                          Take a trek to Trenton, NJ and try the tomato pie at DeLorenzo's on Hudson Street. You'll probably have to wait in line, but it's worth it. The crust is perfect. If you want cheese on your pie, try the pizza at DeLorenzo's on Hamilton Avenue in Trenton.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                            RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/10/05 6:25 PM (permalink)
                            Thinnest I've ever had is Pete N Elda's in Neptune, NJ.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                              RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Mon, 10/10/05 7:34 PM (permalink)
                              I would say Lento's in Brooklyn and Pete & Elda's are about the two thinnest crust pizzaa I've had, almost cracker thin. If I had to choose one, it would be Pete & Elda's, as Lento's sometimes can be hit or miss as far as quality. One thing I don't like about Pete & Elda's is it's way too smoky.

You might also want to try a local variation, known as Grandma Pizza. It's popular on Long Island, and just recently is making inroads into Brooklyn. It's basically a thin crust sicilian (square) pizza. The best version I've found in Brooklyn is at Nino's Pizzeria, on 91st and 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge Brooklyn (about a mile down 3rd Aveue from Lento's. ---Ken

travis

• Total Posts: 16
                                RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/22/05 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                Sometimes I recall one of the first (maybe THE first) slices of pizza I had when I was too little to remember (?). If the smell is just right, my reptilian brain conjurs up a place just off Mulberry Street in Little Italy in Manhattan. I was with my parents and see a crisp, slightly burnt slice in a small linoleum basement place; it was during a street fair - maybe San Gennarro's. Like a heroin addict looking for a repeat of his first high, I keep looking for that first taste. I haven't found it after more than fifty years of slices in every part of NYC.

Pat and Mike's on Victory Boulevard in Staten Island near Manor Road is one of the thinnest I have had.

For me it's OK if I am passing by, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. My favorite is Nunzio's on Hylan Boulevard in Staten Island; I've never had a great slice in Manhattan.

Tony Bad

RE: Thinnest of the Thin Crusts in NYC Sat, 10/22/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

To each his own. The other branches feature flat-out inedible food. The Bleeker Street store has, in my humble opinion, produced pizza that manages to be burnt and soggy at the same time.

Lombardi's is okay.

Patsy's is great. Only the original, on First Avenue.

None compares to Pepe's.

I too like John's on Bleeker. You do, however, need to get out to Coney Island. I like Pepe's, but Totonno's is quite good.

My favorite is usually the one I happen to be eating!

How about Arturo's on Houston? I used to go there a lot before it became very popular and very crowded. Haven't been there in several years. Is it still there? Still good? Anyone???

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com