Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ISO Steak n Shake Chili

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 104 of 104
PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Fri, 12/10/10 7:28 PM (permalink)
Wow, this Varsity canned chili is kinda new Mellow. Yours is the only review I could find. Glad you liked it. Sounds like a great meal!
Joe

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1930
    RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Sat, 12/11/10 7:58 AM (permalink)
    Yes, the canned version was introduced September 24.  Naturally, the freshly prepared chili in the restaurant is better, but the canned version is very good.  And no preservatives.  A particularly welcome product since I'm 90 miles from the nearest Varsity.

PapaJoe8

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Sat, 12/11/10 5:21 PM (permalink)
      Mellow, so did you buy the canned Varsity chili at the restaurant? Or do they sell in in stores locally?

Looks like I have stumped my fellow Roadfooders w/ the 2 questions back on P 4.

And, we are still looking for a tried and true copycat SnS chili recipe.
      Joe
      <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Sat, 12/11/10 5:22 PM>

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Sun, 12/12/10 12:29 AM (permalink)
        An associate had to pass Varsity Town Center in Kennesaw on the way back from a business trip, so I sent him a text message: "Free lunch in Kennesaw.  Call for details."   Baha!  He returned with 5 cans of chili and I paid for his Varsity lunch.  (I'm almost as sneaky as PapaJoe8.)

PapaJoe8

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Mon, 12/13/10 4:15 PM (permalink)
          Yep, pretty sneaky Mellow!  :~)  Hey, that Varsity chili is almost 4 bucks a can. Well worth it if it's that good though.
          Joe

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Mon, 12/13/10 4:29 PM (permalink)
            That's because it's sold in the restaurant.  If it ever gets to supermarkets, the price there will be much lower, like Sticky's or Montgomery Inn bbq sauce, Skyline Chili, and scores of other products.  As for being worth it, that's strictly personal opinion.  I can make excellent hot dog chili at home, and cheaper, when I have the time.   But, on occasion, there's a certain amount of pleasure opening a can of Varsity chili when I know I'm 90 miles away from their nearest dining room.  I only wish I could buy their coleslaw by the quart.

PapaJoe8

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Wed, 12/15/10 9:26 PM (permalink)
              Mellow, maybe we need a copycat recipe for that Varsity Slaw! I have never had the pleasure but if you like it that much i'm game.

Now about that SnS chili. I'm kinda wantin to try that kinda famous copycat recipe that uses Cola. What yall think?
              Joe

tcas38

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Sun, 01/23/11 11:32 AM (permalink)
                Hi y'all!  This is my very first post here ever.  I stumbled upon this this thread while googling Steak & Shake chili recipes.  I've read through and unless I've just missed it, I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for something very similar to just a bowl of chili.  Its the only kind of chili my husband likes and I'd love so much to be able make him something very close.

Thanks!!  
                Edited because I can't spell!
                <message edited by tcas38 on Sun, 01/23/11 11:36 AM>

Howdy Doodat

• Total Posts: 85
                  RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Wed, 02/9/11 10:01 AM (permalink)
                  Back in the 1940s Ray DeFrates and Gus Belt (founder of Steak & Shake) were in a big poker game. Ray (who was holding a full house of Jacks over sevens) needed to see a raise in the pot by Gus. And he was out of cash in a table stakes game. So, he offered the recipe for his well know and hot selling chilli. Ooooops, Gus Belt was holding a Queen-high  straight flush in Clubs. Thus was born Steak & Shake's chilli. While it has mutated some over the years - the basis is still the old Ray's Chilli recipe.

You can get the spices and a recipe "This mix contains the finest ingredients and recipe card for both cubed and ground meat to make a pot of chilli that can compete with world champions.  In fact, this mix contains the same ingredients found in the 2009 International Chili Society World Champion's pot of traditional Red chilli."

You can buy the spices or the chilli (already canned) from: http://www.rayschilli.com

And shipping/handling/taxes are already included in the prices posted. 

I don't work there, nor own stock. But, Jay and Rex (the owners) are friends and competitors on the ICS Chili Cook-off circuit.  Good folks with great products.

By visiting their web site to confirm what I was going to post I also learned something that Jay ought to brag about more - but, doesn't, at least not in person ... "New York Times hands down Taste Test WINNER!"

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Thu, 02/10/11 2:55 AM (permalink)
                    That's a great story.

PapaJoe8

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Mon, 03/7/11 7:39 PM (permalink)
                      Tcas38, welcome to Roadfood! Did you take a look at the recipe I mentioned above that uses Coke? I think it is back on P1 of this thread. Some folks around the net think it comes close to tasting like SnS chili.

Yes, great story Howdy! I think SnS chili has drifted far away from the recipe Ray lost in that poker game though. That is not to say that SnS does not have it's good quilities. Have you had a bowl of SnS chili lately?

Mellow, we still have those 2 pesky unanswered SnS chili questions from back on P 4.
                      Joe

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Tue, 03/8/11 7:51 AM (permalink)
                        Hmm, what questions, Chili-Rice Breath?  D'oh!  I mean PapaJoe8!!!!   I'll try to find them.

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Tue, 03/8/11 7:53 AM (permalink)
                          Hey, wait.  This IS page 4!!!!!!!

MellowRoast

RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili Tue, 03/8/11 7:55 AM (permalink)
                            PapaJoe8

Mellow, maybe we need a copycat recipe for that Varsity Slaw! I have never had the pleasure but if you like it that much i'm game.

I'm experimenting. 

<message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 03/8/11 7:56 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 104 of 104

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com