Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip Report- Wisconsin and Michigan September 2005

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
  • Roadfood Insider
Trip Report- Wisconsin and Michigan September 2005 Sun, 10/23/05 12:02 PM (permalink)
I will attempt to limit my prose regarding our trip this past week thru the Fall Color of the Wisconsin-Michigan region. In addition to some wonderful color we were able to visit family and enjoy some very good roadfood. Total Miles 1900. Gas prices ranged from a high of $2.89(U P Michigan) to a low of $2.42 (Costco,Brighton,MI).
We left on Saturday the 15th and headed up to Rochelle,Illinois to the railfan park there. The park is located at a point where the Union Pacific and the BNSF(Santa Fe) Rail lines cross in an "X". With a nice shelter house, picnic tables and rest rooms It makes a great place to sit and watch the trains roll by.

We stayed the night at a new AmeriHost Inn on Rt 38. Cheap at $50 for the night (including the two dogs with us). A very large room for the price. We ate at the Family Restaurant in town and were somewhat disappointed. Home-style appearance, but out of the box entrees and dessert. No recommendation for this one.

Sunday, we used U S 51, I-39, & US 12 to get up to Baraboo, Wisconsin where my daughter and family live. Daughter is due with our 22nd grandchild in a few weeks so we were doing the pre-hospital visit!
Sunday Night we ate at the DORF HAUS, a German Restaurant (Duhhh!) in Sauk City. The Sauerbraten was outstanding. Several other German dishes were shared as the 4 of us enjoyed a fine meal. I do recommend the place if you are looking for German food in the Madison area.
Another comment was made by a visitor on an earlier visit....
The Dorf Haus is actually in a one street village called Roxbury, a traditionally German community, just South of Sauk City. The first Monday night of the month, and the third Monday during the warmer months, the Dorf Haus has a great German buffet and a 2-piece polka band. There are 3 kinds of schnitzel, Bavarian style barbecued ribs, spaetzle, knackwurst, sauerbraten, pork shanks and more. It's served in a big hall and seems like a community event. There is a historic church across the street.

We wandered thru a local museum and some farm stands on Monday then headed to HOOKERS RESORT in Poynette WI on Lake Wisconsin for dinner. Hooker's is a bit rustic, but a very clean and nice place to head for a 'different' dinner. Like the Iowa Beef Steak House reviewed by Stern's some years ago, At Hooker's you grill your own steak. The beef is wonderful, all hand cut on the premises daily. Also it is a "one Price" arrangement. $18.95 is the fixed price for the steak dinner, be it a 24 oz T-Bone, 16 oz Ribeye or N Y Strip, or very large Sirloin, or 'petite' Filet. You select from a glass case that holds dozens of large pieces of Cow, season as you wish with available powders, peppers, and garlic, then toss it on the large grill and wait for the magic to happen. Add toasted bread (you toast) and Salad and baked potato and you have a great meal. If you prefer the staff will cook it for you for an extra $2 per steak. Other menu items are available. See the menu on the website linked below. The place is noted for it's Friday Fish Fry's. It is right on Lake Wisconsin, so lots of folks arrive by boat and tie up to the dock to come in for dinner. With the price right, live music on the weekends, a good quality Steak I feel good about recommending this place for a night out when in central Wisconsin.

http://www.explorewisconsin.com/hookersresort/index.asp

more to follow

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com