The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Mon, 10/24/05 9:15 PM (permalink)
I passed Zaro's in Grand Central Station and saw two quintessential NYC pastries. Being NYC-centric, I wondered if black-and-whites are available in other pasrts of USA. I was in Germany last tear and was suprised to see them for sale in local bakeries. The twist was, they were called: "American Cookies"!

As for pretzel cookies/pasteries, I'm talking about a sort of large twisted flaky pie crust (sometimes with bits or streaks of chocolate) also crystal sugar and cinnamon that is shaped like a large pretzel. They are delicious and I find much harder ro find than black-and-white. Has anyone seen these elsewhere?

911mom

• Total Posts: 19
    RE: Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Mon, 10/24/05 9:47 PM (permalink)
    We have Blacks and Whites in Northeast PA but I always knew them as Half-Moons.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      RE: Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Tue, 10/25/05 12:15 AM (permalink)
      I have posted elsewhere on these pages about my affinity for the local Florida regional chain, Toojay's. In addition to their quality Jewish-style deli foods, they have a fantastic bakery. They make a few good cakes (my favorite is a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and a cheesecake center!), but also great mini black and white cookies. They do make the larger variety, too, but I think the minis are a little better. I guess it is because you can eat more small ones and feel like you ate less!

Publix also sells black and whites in Florida, but they are definitely second or third tier as compared to what one can get in NY.

Steve

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
        RE: Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Tue, 10/25/05 1:30 AM (permalink)
        NYNM,
        My wife spent some of her younger years on LI and loves B/W's. We live in Baltimore and have found some that are not the cake style that she can get at Penn Station in NYC, but are harder cookie styles.

Some of the Starbucks in the Balto area (Mt. Washington) carried the cake style B/W's until recently but they have dropped them. When we were up in the Hudson Valley area this past weekend the Starbucks still carried them up there and she bought a bunch to freeze.

We have a local Jewish Deli (Lenny's) here that sells the cookie style, but in asking them, they can get the softer cake style, I just have to order 8-12 at a time and give them a couple of days notice.

kidtcha

• Total Posts: 25
          RE: Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Sat, 10/29/05 9:44 AM (permalink)
          Beer and Snausages if you have a Wegman's near you go there. They have Black and Whites that are the cake style! If you don't have a Wegman's come down to Ashburn or Fairax and go to our Wegman's!
          They also have great canolis (sp)!
          quote:
          Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

NYNM,
          My wife spent some of her younger years on LI and loves B/W's. We live in Baltimore and have found some that are not the cake style that she can get at Penn Station in NYC, but are harder cookie styles.

Some of the Starbucks in the Balto area (Mt. Washington) carried the cake style B/W's until recently but they have dropped them. When we were up in the Hudson Valley area this past weekend the Starbucks still carried them up there and she bought a bunch to freeze.

We have a local Jewish Deli (Lenny's) here that sells the cookie style, but in asking them, they can get the softer cake style, I just have to order 8-12 at a time and give them a couple of days notice.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
            RE: Black and white cookies/cinnamon pretzel cookies Sat, 10/29/05 11:02 AM (permalink)
            If you decide that you want to make them, here are the recipes for both the chocolate ones and the white ones.
            In central New York, we always heard that a bakery in Utica, NY first made these cookies (their chocolate one is below)

HALF-MOON COOKIES (White ones)

1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
            1-1/2 cups sugar
            3/4 cups shortening
            2 eggs
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            31/2 cups flour
            1 teaspoon baking powder
            1 teaspoon baking soda
            1 or 2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream sugar and shortening; add eggs. Beat well. Sift together
            flour,
            baking powder and salt. Stir baking soda into sour milk. Add milk
            alternately with flour to creamed mixture. Add vanilla.

Drop by rounded tablespoons on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350
            degrees about 10 to 12 minutes , until tops are set. Cool on wire racks. When cool,
            frost half of cookie with chocolate, and other half with vanilla
            frosting.

Hemstrought Bakery Half Moon Cookies (chocolate)

FOR THE COOKIES:
            3 3/4 cups flour
            3/4 tsp. baking powder
            2 tsp. baking soda
            2 1/4 cup sugar
            16 tbsp. margarine, cut into pieces
            3/4 cup cocoa, sifted
            1/4 tsp. salt
            2 eggs
            1 tsp. vanilla extract
            1 1/2 cups milk

For the cookies: Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside. Put sugar, margarine, cocoa, and salt in bowl of standing mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat. Add half the milk, then half the flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth; repeat with remaining milk and flour mixture. Spoon or pipe batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets .(You can also grease the sheets instead of using parchment.) Bake until cookies are set, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove from parchment.

Frost half of each cookie with white frosting and the other half with chocolate.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com