Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Author
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
2005/10/26 07:41:56 (permalink)

Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

PHOTOS OF THE MEETINGS OF THE GLEE CLUB MEETINGS IN LOUISVILLE AND OWENSBORO ARE POSTED BEGINNING ON PAGE 13 OF THIS THREAD!!

What say those West Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ afficionados meet at the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY February 18th - President's Day weekend? I'll make the arrangements if interested.

441 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/26 19:38:37 (permalink)
    All right, all right. I guess I can force myself. Oneiron, you coming through Nashville on your way there?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/26 20:17:37 (permalink)
    I stopped by this wonderful place a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Just let me know so I can make some reservations. Nashville sounds like a great place to meet?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/26 21:09:47 (permalink)

If we are talking about a Saturday session the dinner buffet opens at 3:30pm. We could start in Louisville earlier in the day if that meets the travel schedule for the Georgia Folks??? If not we can work it out over the winter. Hopefully we can attract some of the other Foodies in the Louisville area to join in this time.
    One Iron, what sort of a plan are you thinking of???
    AL
    Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 07:18:47 (permalink)
    Either lunch buffet or dinner buffet, whichever fits most people's schedules. I would prefer the early dinner buffet at 3:30 or so. We will be leaving ATL on Friday and probably stop in Nashville Fri. evening at some roadfood place there. I talked to Patrick Bosley at Moonlite and he welcomes the idea. Let's shoot for Feb. 18 at the Moonlite at 3:30 - OK?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 08:02:35 (permalink)

Fine with us! Now to encourage other Roadfooders to join in!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7919
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 08:17:33 (permalink)
    Believe it or not. I may come!!!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 17:10:36 (permalink)
    I would love to do this if the timing is right...
    Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 17:14:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

I would love to do this if the timing is right...

OK, you have 3 1/2 months to plan ahead, so put that date on the calendar.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 17:20:39 (permalink)
    Dale, As the old Northeast Airlines Ad used to proclaim..."COME ON DOWN... We'd be happy to offer ground transportation from Louisville Airport to Moonlite and Back...or fly directly to Owensboro..The Moonlite is within walking distance from the Owensboro International Airport, Hair Care and Tire Center.

Pogophile,
    The 18th is the Saturday of the Presidents Day Weekend. Driving time from Nashville to Owensboro is about the same as it is from Nashville to Louisville. I hope you can fit this into your schedule!!

ATTTENTION Roadfooders in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Eastern Missouri and Tennessee. It is an easy drive up to Owensboro KY for most of you. Even you Chicago folks can do it in a half-day ride one-way. Cincinnati is less than 4 hours to Moonlite BBQ. St Louis is barely 3 hours each way... Memphis is just short of 4 hours... All in All there are a bunch of Roadfood members within range of this get together. I hope we can make this a dinner to remember!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 18:02:20 (permalink)
    Man--id LOVE to do this--but im afraid that now that the house is about done---so is my bank account--looking for part time work--dont need much--but do need a bit. I highly recomend that anyone that has NEVER gone on a roadsfooders gathering, to DO IT!!! i dearly want to get back to the crabcake feast which i am counting on all you regulars to continue annually--So i will pass on most expences till then. All those years of "hippie-Ing" are paying off now--got me trained to remember you dont need alot---just enough! Actually talking to a guy opening an Italian place in Muskogee--dont know much yet--but i do know he has the right accent and he's independant---and he needs a prep cook--a job that i enjoy and a cuisine i LOVE--so who knows---wish me luck and you guys have a good time ---once again--i wish i could,but..........
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 18:25:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Dale, As the old Northeast Airlines Ad used to proclaim..."COME ON DOWN... We'd be happy to offer ground transportation from Louisville Airport to Moonlite and Back...or fly directly to Owensboro..The Moonlite is within walking distance from the Owensboro International Airport, Hair Care and Tire Center.

Al,

I'm seriously considering it. I have some free air miles, so I'm thinking about flying in and out of Pittsburgh where I have friends and then renting a car and catching some Roadfood to and from Owensboro. I went to the Moonlite about 6 years ago, thought it would be nice to return and break bread with all the good folks that want to experience a true Western Kentucky Culinary Experience.

BTW- I didn't know that the Airport doubles as a hair care center!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 18:31:25 (permalink)

Tiki,
    I understand your problem and hope the job thing works out for you. Keep the date in mind in case things change! And I too hope there will be another Crabfest in April!!

WJ- Whatever works, we'll be glad to see ya!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 18:49:06 (permalink)
    Sounds like a plan to me. I like the idea of the evening buffet. I would require a motel in the area as I have no intention of eating and imbibing and driving.

I sent a email to Iwannago. I am not sure of that attendance as the responsibilities of that job has increased to a huge amount.

It might be fun to have a little get together before doing dinner where we could have a little before dinner fun, a get together, toast of the group before we settle down to lotsa good "Q"

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/27 23:08:02 (permalink)
    On Friday, I believe I'll go up to Evansville. I have a friend there who has a very good pizza and brewery joint.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 07:36:12 (permalink)
    All right, this is getting somewhere!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 07:51:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like the group is growing. Perhaps Tiki can pick up a little cash and make the dash across the state to Owensboro.

The Mayor has discussed the possibility of meeting in Louisville for some hot brown. As many times that I have been in Louisville, I have never enjoyed this famous dish.

Oneiron suggested we start at 3:30PM and that is perfect for me. The Mayor indicated that is when they start the evening buffet. Perhaps if we take it easy and slow, we can enjoy a lot more. I tend to get stuffed really quick. If we have a large enough group, perhaps they will allow us to have a private room??

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 13:26:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Sounds like the group is growing. Perhaps Tiki can pick up a little cash and make the dash across the state to Owensboro.

The Mayor has discussed the possibility of meeting in Louisville for some hot brown. As many times that I have been in Louisville, I have never enjoyed this famous dish.

Oneiron suggested we start at 3:30PM and that is perfect for me. The Mayor indicated that is when they start the evening buffet. Perhaps if we take it easy and slow, we can enjoy a lot more. I tend to get stuffed really quick. If we have a large enough group, perhaps they will allow us to have a private room??

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

We can get a room or secluded area. As we get closer I'll schedule us a room with an approximate number. We have enough time to have a decent-sized group to meet-up. Let's keep it going.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 15:29:43 (permalink)
    Oneiron, be sure to bring your one iron club. We may have to use it to beat The Mayor away from the buffet

If any of you have not been there, the place is huge. Al was the one who turned me on to this place. It is totally different than Hays and just as good in a different way. Their variety is immense. I never expected to see such a place in the smaller town of Owensboro.

Bill Clinton was a visitor there. I do not know if that is good or bad but if it was important enough for the Prez to visit, I am sure that it will be good enough for the Glee Club. It is also the home town of Michael Waltrip for you NASCAR fans.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 16:35:22 (permalink)
    Here's the layout for the Meeting place. Moonlite's Saturday Buffet Dinner is a bit over $13 per person, bottomless soft drinks or tea or bottled beer (not bottomless) are not included in the buffet price. A small gift-shop area and takeout counter is to the left of the dining rooms. You can get tee-shirts and Burgoo as well as all the ribs you can want after dinner !
    The Moonlite buffet is a two sided serving area, with soup, salads, and desserts on one side, and the hot foods veggies and meats on the other. Both areas use a two sided approach to serving so if there is a line it tends to move quickly. Kids are instructed to stay with their parents, and that seems to work (most of the time).

On the salad side of the Buffet I get a little slaw, potato salad, pickled beets and a cup of Burgoo. I skip the rabbit food, peel n eat shrimp, boiled eggs and the banana pudding.

On the Hot food side a lot depends on the availability of the catfish filets, whole catfish, Fried Oysters. I will indulge in those seafood items if available. I skip the baked fish and fried shrimp. I can pass on the Mac and cheese, Mashed Pot. and gravies, Baked chicken and Turkey and stuffing. I like the fried apples, Green Beans with pork, and creamed corn. Then comes the varsity choices. They serve the BBQ in both chopped and chunk 'style'. As I have noted several times on these forums I prefer my BBQ to be in chunks that require some chewing as opposed to the sawdust grind "finely minced' meat. Moonlite has chopped and chunky Mutton, and Pork, Sliced brisket or Sirloin Beef, Pork Ribs and sometimes grilled/BBQ chicken.

After all that one must do the Dessert table also. Pies usually include Apple, Rhubarb, Coconut Cream, Lemon, Pecan, and Chocolate pecan(think pecan with a layer of fudge frosting spread on the top) Cheese Cake, Cherry,Peach,Blackberry Cobblers (usually 2 of the above flavors) Jello and Sugar-free pies are there also. Soft serve and the Jimmies and stuff to put on the soft-serve is available also.

Bottomless soft drinks, lemonade and tea, various brands of beer are extra cost items.

Sauces are on you table. They do lightly sauce the meat in the serving pans, but generally it is 'sauceless'. The regular sauce is a tomato based semi-sweet sauce. Extra spicy is there too...It is NOT super Hot, so you can check it to see if it fits your desires better than the regular. Also there is a bottle of "Sheep Dip" a vinegar-based thin liquid that is supposed to go with the Mutton BBQ. It's ok, but I like the two others 'flavors' better.

We have held family and group gatherings in the dining rooms and done quite well with groups of 25-40 in the past. The Bosleys run a good business and Saturdays do get busy, but if we plan to meet fairly early, before the 6-7pm rush hour, we should have plenty of time and not so many people around us.[|)]

Last Spring we got a tour of the Smokers area when we visited the place. here are 30-40 lb mutton 'Chunks' in the smoker at the left and a bunch of chicken in the right side.

Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 16:56:57 (permalink)
    I'm hungry already - and Mrs. Oneiron will be happy with the salad and veggie area.
    Paul - I'll bring the Oneiron, but from the description above it may not be enough to keep Al from leaving the rest of us any morsels.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 16:59:37 (permalink)
    I hope we have a large enough group to get a private room where we can get a little funky.

Looking forward to a good time.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 18:20:10 (permalink)
    Honestly, I think Al would be totally content with a buffet that had but one item, as long as that item was pickled beets!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/28 18:38:48 (permalink)
    quote:

we can get a little funky.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Just as long as no one "smells a little funky" then that's all right by me!!

Oneiron339
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 10:04:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Just as long as no one "smells a little funky" then that's all right by me!!

Originally posted by wanderingjew

I don't want any funky, I'm coming for the BBQ

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 13:05:32 (permalink)
    You guys have given me a few months to convince Mrs. Seafafer of the wisdom of joining you this year at the Moonlight. If all goes well, we might be able to make it as we would most likely be leaving Florida at about that time in February. The get together sounds too damn good to pass up evrn if i do have to fight to keep the Mayor out of my plate.

Cheers, John
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 13:47:29 (permalink)
    " Hey Bosley, How about smoking up some Sheep 'Oysters' for the old guy from New York"?
    John, we will be more than happy to welcome a delegation from the Hudson River Country !

The Pappy's, Mr and Mrs, are going to try to get there so the list is growing. We are over a dozen now and I am doing my best to send notes to all who have expressed an interest in the past!!
    KAILEEN, It's only a one day ride for you...come on up !! TJ it's 4 hours or less for the Cincinnati bunch.... I know we have a bunch of Hoosiers to the north of me and one over near Vincennes. I hope they get the word in time to plan the day.

Poverty Pete, What about a Hot Brown Friday night?
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 14:51:07 (permalink)
    That sounds workable. If anyone is interested, I'm thinking about imposing on my friend in Evansville to let me take over his brewery one day next month, to brew a lager that would be ready for that weekend.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 16:06:56 (permalink)

Now that would be a nice treat. I have a couple of 5 gallon 'Jeep' cans and some large straw's from the Arches. I'd even set aside my usual Sweet Tea order for some 'Moonlite Brew'!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2005/10/29 16:36:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

That sounds workable. If anyone is interested, I'm thinking about imposing on my friend in Evansville to let me take over his brewery one day next month, to brew a lager that would be ready for that weekend.

Poverty, how about telling us more about what kind of brew you would be mixing up. That would be a treat to have some home brew from one of our own

Hell, we may not even be able to get out of Evansville

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1