The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ham salad sandwich

Marc4022

• Total Posts: 41
Ham salad sandwich Fri, 11/4/05 2:47 PM (permalink)
I've been craving a good ham salad sandwich for some time now. No one makes them any more. The grocery chains, when they offer them, have what is more like mayo flavored ham salad.

Anyone? I'm in Atlanta but will copy/paste your favorite places that serve good ham salad in case I'm ever in the area.

Funny story about ham salad sandwiches. Remember the old drug store lunch counters? Well, years ago there was this particular one in Columbus, Ohio, frequented by a couple of Jewish businessmen. The one happened to like ham salad, but it was not exactly kosher. So he and the deli clerk had an understanding. Whenever he would order a tuna salad sandwich, that was the clerk's cue to serve him a ham salad sandwich instead!!! ;-)

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
    RE: Ham salad sandwich Fri, 11/4/05 3:11 PM (permalink)
    Ham salad like tuna salad is imho best not eaten in restaurants/sandwich shops.. I was born and raised in so.jersey, every year we had a Krakus(sp) canned ham for the holidays. That and deli sandwich ham was what I thought ham was! Until I moved south..here a ham is a HAM. I still like the canned variaty but I can only find small one pounders. Canned ham IMHO makes the best ham salad. I grate mine on the large grate of a handgrater, add chopped onion, green hamburger relish, Miricle Whip, yellow mustard, salt and pepper. Served on toast with a slice or 2 of cheese..

Poopy

• Total Posts: 101
      RE: Ham salad sandwich Wed, 11/9/05 12:07 PM (permalink)
      We had sandwiches made that way when I was a kid. Also, we would sometimes make them with leftover roast beef or turkey. We had this ancient hand meat grinder that hooked onto the counter top, which I think made them taste even better.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: Ham salad sandwich Wed, 11/9/05 12:54 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Marc4022

I've been craving a good ham salad sandwich for some time now. No one makes them any more. The grocery chains, when they offer them, have what is more like mayo flavored ham salad.

Anyone? I'm in Atlanta but will copy/paste your favorite places that serve good ham salad in case I'm ever in the area.

Funny story about ham salad sandwiches. Remember the old drug store lunch counters? Well, years ago there was this particular one in Columbus, Ohio, frequented by a couple of Jewish businessmen. The one happened to like ham salad, but it was not exactly kosher. So he and the deli clerk had an understanding. Whenever he would order a tuna salad sandwich, that was the clerk's cue to serve him a ham salad sandwich instead!!! ;-)

Since you're in ATL, you know of Honey Baked Ham. I use the leftovers from the bone (before making ham and bean soup with it) and grind the meat up with some mayo, relish and a hard-boiled egg or two. I've really enjoyed the ham salad from that.

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
          RE: Ham salad sandwich Thu, 11/10/05 11:18 AM (permalink)
          This may or may not be helpful to you:

http://www.smithfieldcollection.com/vcart/itemblock/?itemblock=3

You'll still have to make your own sandwich. BTW, this is *very* salty!

Cathy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com