The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Route 66

tartlett

• Total Posts: 20
Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 11:24 AM (permalink)
Has anyone taken the route 66 trip ?Just wanted to know .We have researched it somewhat ,but would like to hear from people who have traveled it and we are looking for some input as where we should stop and enjoy or just keep on going .we are planning to take the trip this spring.we are looking for diners with great eats.

Sundancer7

RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 11:38 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tartlett

Has anyone taken the route 66 trip ?Just wanted to know .We have researched it somewhat ,but would like to hear from people who have traveled it and we are looking for some input as where we should stop and enjoy or just keep on going .we are planning to take the trip this spring.we are looking for diners with great eats.

I enjoyed Winslow, AZ. I have attached a website. Great place to visit and a tribute to a great song.

http://www.winslowarizona.org/visitorinfo.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 11:45 AM (permalink)
      Actually i have done it several times---including once LONG ago when it was still intact---Great ride!! Here in Oklahoma alot of it is still there as it was of old and a lot of the food sites are still there too---if you can--tke your time and get to see the towns along the way---stop and eat---check out the local music scenes. Much of the original road is now gone and much is basically abandoned for the Interstate that replaced it--but the old road is still there with closed down shops, motels and food stops---sad---HOWEVER---there are LOTS of projects out there to revive the old road and the stops that were on it--i hope they all succeed--that ride back then from Chicago to the Pacific-was a peice of my life that i will never forget--the road--the food--the sites--and the people!! It really was a trip through America that was a wonderful experience.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
        RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 1:32 PM (permalink)
        Tiki, we may have crossed paths on Rt. 66 and not even known it! Everything you said is so true. I've taken the trip several times, all before I -40 messed it all up. Some towns along the route are simply gone. It was so interesting and fun, I'm glad I got to do it before it all changed. And I had some amazing food all along the way. Diners, drug stores, lunch counters, truck stops and grocery stores. Wonderful memories. My mother lived in Arizona in the '40s when she was in high school and said it was even more interesting back then.

tiki

RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 3:42 PM (permalink)
          I actually drove to Chicago from Boston just so i could do the entire route!!! It would really be awesome if they got it all together and reopened a lot of the old spots---some are still around---Remember "The Atomic Cafe?---cant remember where it was---it still is though--was there a few years ago--GREAT spot--and the motel where the rooms where all shaped like teepees!! There a several spots still open for food right in downtown OKC that were from the old days---i would LOVE to make that trip again!

tiki

RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 3:47 PM (permalink)
            Tartlett---ws just thinking that if i was gonna go-i WOULD NOT plan ahead---that was the most exciting thing about that trip---NOT knowing what you will find and the satisfaction of discovery---i know that there is still enough of REAL America out there that if you just stayed on the route---and took your time so you could stop and check it all out---and just enjoyed "going of to look for America"--you would not doubt have a wonderful time---i know that is how i did it the first time and i would LOVE to that again---a rediscovery!!! I hope you really do "make that trip"---and get a cd for the ride with all the arrangements of the song thst you can find!!! to play along the way!!!

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
              RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 9:02 PM (permalink)
              Somehow when I drive up to NW Illinois to visit family I end up taking a bit of the trip on 66 - which runs perpendicular to my route. Any chance I get I'll drop into Funks Grove for some maple syrup, lunch at the Dixie truck stop, maybe visit the Crosley car museum in Lincoln (basically some junkers in a large shed in a landscape supply yard) and second lunch at the Ariston in Litchfield. My current dream trip involves much of the road in Arizona...

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                RE: Route 66 Thu, 11/10/05 9:03 PM (permalink)
                Did the Route 66 trip from Chicago to Merramec(sp?) Caverns about 14 years ago. Give yourself an extra day or so in Springfield if you're at all interested in the Lincoln sites. Good and/or fun eats along the way: The Launching Pad in Wilmington, The Riviera Roadhouse in Gardner (call ahead to make sure they still exist), The Cozy Dog in Springfield; while in Springfield try to find a place that serves a Horseshoe Sandwich (kind of an Illinois version of the Kentucky Hot Brown), The Ariston Cafe in Litchfield, and of course Ted Drewes in St. Louis. The Illinois Route 66 Association has some good literature about travelling our leg of the Mother Road. Stop in at the Dixie Truckers Home in McLean and check out the Route 66 Hall of Fame. Also check out the Maple Sirup(sic) stand in Funk's Grove. If they're not open, honk the horn; there might be someone hanging around the house who will open up if they have any stock left.

Don't know how much time you've allowed for this trip, but take your time if possible. We took five days to get from Chicago to St. Louis and could have taken five more if we'd had the time. While the interstate seems to prod you into driving faster, 66 calls on you to slow down almost against your will.

As I think of more, I'll add to this topic.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 2:49 PM (permalink)
                  Each segment of Rt 66 has a history all it's own, yet they fit together to make wonderful saga of travel in this country 75 years ago.

"My" segment is the Mojave Desert area. From Cajon Pass that connects the Los Angeles basin to the Desert (and where the term 'MAYOR' originated for me) thru Victorville (Big Glenn), Barstow, Ludlow, Cadiz, Needles CA,& Oatman and Kingman AZ. I grew up in that area and wandered much of the desert there as a kid, and more recently as an 'Old Fart', chasing trains and taking thousands of photographs. Rt 66 follows fairly closely the old Santa Fe RR tracks (now the BNSF Transcon line). It is possible to ride beside a train for the better part of 50 miles, pacing the train for video and still photography. If you haven't visited the old Harvey House restaurant in the Barstow Rail Depot or watched them unload the white-painted domestic water tank car trains that still deliver the only water available to those small desert communities along the line between Daggett and Needles you need to see that part of history that still is REALITY, not reinactment. Do you want to watch the action of military training? Stop at Pigsah Crater ( a large volcanic cindercone), and in addition to the geology of the area, you can watch the Marine Harrier jets practice blowing up chunks of the distant desert on the USMC's 29 Palms training area.

In AZ, Oatman is a real paradox. It's hard to believe the road really wandered all the way up to Oatman and then down again to Needles at the Colorado River. That just doesn't make geographic or engineering sense....but it did take the "long way", and following that course is a trip into another generation's world.

Last comment... When you stop at the Agriculture Inspection Station near Needles on your way west, remember the scene in the Grapes of Wrath where the Los Angeles Police Department maintained a unit to discourage the "Oakies" from entering Southern California if they didn't have money in hand, and a written job guarentee. Today only your fresh fruit and veggies are not permited into the State, but I always think of the heartbreaking experience of our grandparents when I stop for the inspection.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                    RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 4:12 PM (permalink)
                    I drove it a couple of times back in the '50s. Once each way. I hitchhiked it from Amarillo to Los Angeles once.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                      RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 7:09 PM (permalink)
                      Last year on my way back from Las Vegas, we stopped at the Harvey House in Barstow. The tiny Route 66 Museum next to it was great. Couldn't resist buying a bottle of Grape Nehi there either. Definitely a worthwhile stop!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                        RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 7:22 PM (permalink)
                        Rt 66 bisects my town Fontana in the form of Foothill Blvd. There's still some of the old gas station buildings (now Mexican restaurants and knick knack shops), cafe buildings (same) and even an old motor court or two surviving. I look at them and wonder if my parents or grandparents ever stopped and filled up or ate at any of these. I know both of my folks came out from the deep South to settle in LA in the 20's on that road. They were just toddlers. Guess I should have asked them when they were alive.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 9:12 PM (permalink)

My folks used Rt 66 when they moved from Ohio to SoCal in 1944 ( I was 2 a yr old).
                          Engine Capt., is the TeePee/WigWam Motel still in operation on Foothill just east of you in Rialto? I think photos of that location appear in every book ever published about the "Mother Road!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                            RE: Route 66 Fri, 11/11/05 11:07 PM (permalink)
                            The area near Flagstaff had some nice Rt. 66 stuff. There is also a pretty good video on the mother road

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                              RE: Route 66 Sun, 11/13/05 6:01 AM (permalink)
                              I'll have to take a trip up that way Al. I seldom, as in never get that far east anymore since South Fontana now has most all the shopping that area has.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                RE: Route 66 Sun, 11/13/05 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                Most of Route 66 is no longer in use, but during the central New Mexico part of the trip, if you use the service road on I-40 westbound, you're on the original Route 66.

And no visit to Albuquerque is complete without several stops at the Frontier, at the corner of Central Avenue (which is Rt. 66) and Cornell Drive, across from the main entrance of the UNM campus.

During the years I lived in Albuquerque, I lived about a block and a half off of Central and between the fact that the place where I worked was on Central and all the record stores and restaurants I liked were on Central, I spent nearly all of my waking (and sleeping) hours within about 500 feet of Route 66.

KMBrown91

• Total Posts: 13
                                  RE: Route 66 Thu, 05/25/06 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                  Just for the record the horseshoe is not Illinois version of the Kentucky hot brown, these sandwiches are very different. The horseshoe is a Springfield original and you will be hard pressed to find it outside of a 50 mile radius of Springfield. It is not made or served in restaurants all over Illinois as some others have claimed. I have had the Kentucky hot brown and the horseshoe is far better.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                                    RE: Route 66 Thu, 05/25/06 11:17 AM (permalink)
                                    I took a trip this spring and ended up following much of old 66 across AR, NM and OK.
                                    I was sorry to see that the Twin Arrows Rest Stop in AZ was broken down and deteriorated. I remember stopping there a couple times back in the early 70s. Seems like it would be a great restoration project that could turn a profit.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                      RE: Route 66 Thu, 05/25/06 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by KMBrown91

Just for the record the horseshoe is not Illinois version of the Kentucky hot brown, these sandwiches are very different. The horseshoe is a Springfield original and you will be hard pressed to find it outside of a 50 mile radius of Springfield. It is not made or served in restaurants all over Illinois as some others have claimed. I have had the Kentucky hot brown and the horseshoe is far better.
                                      You are correct on all counts KM. I was merely trying to come up with a reasonable comparison for those not familiar with the Horseshoe Sandwich. Clearly you have family history with this sandwich. No offense meant.

Buddy

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                                        RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 1:42 AM (permalink)
                                        I grew up riding old 66 from Chicago to St. Louis to visit relatives. I cannot travel I44 and I40 enough. I love this trip.

A few eating and interesting places:

St. Louis - Ted Drewes - this is the original route out of St. Louis to the southwest
                                        El Reno, OK - Onion burgers at Sid's and a motel strip that was built in the 30's and 40's
                                        Albuquerque - Rt 66 Diner, The Frontier on Central Ave which is old 66
                                        Gallup, NM - to the east you can still find the old roadbed - it runs parallel to the west bound side of I40
                                        Holbrook, AZ - Ted & Aggie's Cafe - I had a good Texmex lunch there last year. On old 66, it is across the street from the Wigwam Motel where all the rooms are shaped like tepees.
                                        Get off the road in Kingman and drive up to Oatman. You will not believe that at one time that this road bed was the best and almost the only cross country highway.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                          RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 7:40 AM (permalink)
                                          In Seligman, AZ, you can get off the interstate and drive for 50-60 miles on the original Rt 66 toward Kingman. Also there are several original roadfood places still in operation in Seligman and Williams, AZ. Snow-Cap drive-in is one, a good cowboy steak restaurant in Williams (whose name escapes me) and some of the original motels.

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                                            RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                            I forgot about Williams. I stayed there for three nights last year while I was visiting the Grand Canyon. The last traffic light on old 66 was in Williams and it was officially decommisioned in the mid 80's. Williams is proud of the fact that it was the last town on the old road to be bypassed by the interstate. Also, I had a great breakfast at Old Smoky's.

There is a train that runs from Williams up to the Grand Canyon and back. If you go in the summer they run a steam train. Reservations are recommended.

Sundancer7

RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 8:57 AM (permalink)
                                              Winslow Arizona is a fun stop to make due to the song, coffee shops and restaurants. The town is small but gets a lot of tourist and it is Route 66. Do not forget to stand on the corner!!! Great photo stop also.

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                                                RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                                If you enjoy cookbooks, you might want to buy "The Main Street of America Cookbook...........................A Culinary Journey Down Route 66" by Marian Clark. Not only does it have some great recipes from restaurants along the route, there are suggestions for things to see and where to eat in towns in each state, following Route 66 from one end to the other.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                  RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                                  Whats the name of that steak place in Amerillo? I had a great time there, but no, I didn't attempt to eat that monster steak. Whats it's name... the steak. The "big Texas"? Or is that the restaurant?
                                                  Joe

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Route 66 Fri, 05/26/06 4:05 PM (permalink)
                                                    Joe It is the Big Texan Steak Ranch. 72 OZ steak dinner --FREE-- if you can eat the entire dinner in an hour. Two of my sons have done it. I have not ! The rest of the menu is ok, but more hype than roadfood.

RE Rt 66. The road from Seligman to Kingman is a railfan's dream. We like sitting in Valentine AZ and listening to the train horns echoing off the canyon walls for miles.
                                                    Peach Springs has a side-road that is on Indian land...and wanders down some rocky stream beds to the Colorado River just west of the main part of the Grand Canyon. They charge $5 for access to the road, but for anyone with a high clearance vechile it is a MUST-TAKE road! What a great ride down to the river.
                                                    Yes Oatman is a great place to consider the origins of the whole highway system!!

Don't forget the final parts of 66, in SoCal. From Needles to Newberry Springs the desert version of the old road is still an interesting ride. Places like Goffs, Amboy, Cadiz and Ludlow still get their water from tank cars delivered by local freight trains out of Barstow. Thats a real link to the past that you have to see to believe!.
                                                    From Barstow to Victorville the road is slowly getting developed as the sprawl reaches further and further out from L A into the desert.

ONE place that remains kinda hidden in the middle of Cajon Pass is about a 3/4 mile stretch of the original dirt/blacktop pavement of the road up the mountain that later became Rt 66. The blacktop was put down in 1910 and some still remains. It is an amazing link to the history of the road!
                                                    AL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com