Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc.

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 74 of 74
keef richards

• Total Posts: 42
RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Sun, 01/2/05 7:11 PM (permalink)
cna i get a good sub in morris county nj? something in the lines of a jersey city /hoboken sub. crusty bread soft inside ,fresh muzz,soppersata and salami. a real sub. the bread to me makes the sandwich these chains have horrible bread and the cold cuts are sub par. that said o do like blimpie better then the others but it has to be drenched with toppings.
esposito's in e hanover? looked good. but i went right before christmas and barely could get in. please help i'm dying fro a real sandwich where
a bunch of stuff falls off and you end up licking your wrists so as not to drip anything.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
    RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Mon, 01/3/05 9:17 AM (permalink)
    I ate at Subway twice,the first and the last time.Poor meats and not enough combined with Green Peppers and Black Olives?Ensured that I wont be going back!Blimpies is much better.

Seriousfoody

• Total Posts: 32
      RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Thu, 01/6/05 12:13 PM (permalink)
      Gees, there are so many local mom and pop shops around that make better subs then subway, I guess it depends what is available to you. Almost any pizza shop would make a better sub. In Central Ct, Franklin ave giant grinders and and the Corner Grinder are both excellent on Franklin Ave.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
        RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Thu, 01/6/05 12:35 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Seriousfoody

Gees, there are so many local mom and pop shops around that make better subs then subway, I guess it depends what is available to you. Almost any pizza shop would make a better sub. In Central Ct, Franklin ave giant grinders and and the Corner Grinder are both excellent on Franklin Ave.

In the New Haven area you could always get terrific subs at any Italian grocery store.

crcoll

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Wed, 01/19/05 1:12 PM (permalink)
          If you ever find yourself in southern New Jersey, there is a little "deli" right outside of Mays Landing called the Sugar Hill Delicatessan (not to be confused with the Sugar Hill Inn that is right down the street) that has the BEST italian/regular sub that I have ever tasted.

I make this claim even being within driving distance of the world famous White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City. Don't get me wrong, the White House is still great, but they may be coasting along on their reputation a bit. My work mates and I do still stop at the White House when we find ourselves in Atlantic City over the lunch hour.

Sugar Hill is a little one room shop that is on the Mays Landing to Somers Point Road (also referred to as "the back way to Ocean City, NJ) that you would probably drive right by if you didn't know about it, but once you do stop you'll probably stop every time after that.

They humorously have a hanging sign out front that says "over 1 billion subs sold".

Get the italian (or regular) with vinegar and oil, oregano, etc. You can add lettuce, tomato, onions, peppers (on the side if you like). I believe that they use the same rolls (Formica Bakery from Atlantic City) that the White House uses. While the regular may not be quite as thick as the White House version, it certainly makes up for it with taste. My last few White Houses' have been kinda tasteless, but Sugar Hill is consistently good.

They feature a different special on a sign board out front every day, which is what prompted me to stop on the way home from Jury Duty today. The special was the Italian/Regular for only $3.75 with the works. HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG??!!

I also picked up a plain cheesesteak for my 12 year old son, who swears it is the best thing that he has ever tasted. The chicken cheese steak ranks right up there too.

The only downside is stopping right at the lunch hour. The place can be mobbed as the locals and the workers who are near the Mays Landing/Somers Point Road know to stop here. On the plus side there are always a hoard of people behind the counter taking orders and making sandwiches.

NJ Schmitty

• Total Posts: 2
            RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Sun, 02/6/05 1:24 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by RC51Mike

The zep thing came up on another thread a little while ago. Same as a hoagie or sub except the name is highly localized around Norristown, PA. It seems to be a tradition that a zep doesn't have lettuce or pickles on it.

Well...sort of....as a Norristown native I can tell you that a zep is not the same as a hoagie.

A zep is;

A great Italian roll

Cooked Salami

Provologne cheese

Sliced tomatoe

Sliced raw onion

Some oregano

A bit of oil

Salt

Pepper

A dab of vinegar (optional)

THAT, my friend, is a Zep.

NJ Schmitty

RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Sun, 02/6/05 1:34 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by crcoll

If you ever find yourself in southern New Jersey, there is a little "deli" right outside of Mays Landing called the Sugar Hill Delicatessan

They humorously have a hanging sign out front that says "over 1 billion subs sold".

OH......MY.......GOD.......

Here is an article I wrote for an Ocean City, NJ paper....

"If you have ever driven on Somers Point - Mays Landing Road, just east of Route 40, you've probably noticed a sign at the Sugar Hill Deli with a big picture of a submarine sandwich and the subscript "Over a billion served".

Passing by that sign many times, I have often found myself performing mental mathematical calculations to put that 'billion' in perspective.

In doing so, my first, and likely only valid, assumption has been that Sugar Hill Deli is not a nationwide franchise like Subway and that it is a single location business.

The second assumption, which is a stretch, is that the place never closes and subs are being pumped out 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.

The third and final assumption - and this one is really out there in left field - is that the deli was established in the year 1796, or 200 years ago.

Using those three assumptions, it follows that twenty-four (hours per day) times three hundred sixty five (days per year) times two hundred (years since 1796) equals one million seven hundred fifty two hours that the deli has operated (if it has, in fact, been open around-the-clock since twenty years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence).

This is where it gets interesting.

In order to have sold a billion (which is a thousand million) subs, the deli employees (all seven generations of them) had to turn out about five hundred seventy subs per hour, non stop, for the past 200 years, or one sub every 6.3 seconds. That's thirteen thousand of them a day. That's a lot of subs.

Assuming that a top-notch submaker can whip up a completed sub from start to finish in a minute or so, this single, small deli in a rural area has apparently had about forty super submakers fully employed at forty hours per week, around-the-clock, in ten-person shifts, for the last two centuries. That would probably make it the single largest employer in Atlantic County since the revolutionary war.

And where do all those subs go? Unless the deli has some national government contract to provide subs for school lunches, or some similar, large wholesale market, it is hard to imagine the logistics involved in ringing up sales to retail customers who, let's say, average four subs per order, every twenty five seconds, all day, every day. The local traffic and the small parking lot must be a nightmare considering that a car must enter and another must exist the parking lot every half minute. (I apparently must always pass by there at off hours, when they are only selling two or three hundred subs an hour, because I've never seen this level of frantic vehicular activity in the area.)

Call me a skeptic, but these numbers knawed at me to the point that I had to talk to someone at Sugar Hill to find out if it could be possible that it is part of a Subway-type chain of franchises or, on the outside chance that the sign may not be completely accurate.

When I called, I spoke to Jerry, Jr. the son of the owner. I asked the significance of the one billion figure and was not-so-surprised to learn from him that it was just a spoof on the signs of the major-domo of fast food, where I believe their count is now up to a gazillion trillion. Jerry, Jr. didn't want to say much more to me. I think Jerry, Jr. may have suspected I was investigating him for false advertising, because he attempted to legitimize the figure by telling me that, although they just made up the billion figure, his family has probably come close to that since they have been operating the business. (Jerry, Jr. obviously wasn't aware that he was talking to someone who had already done the math to know that even if they've sold five hundred subs an hour from 7AM til midnight every day since the civil war broke out, they aren't even in the ball park.)

But it isn't me that should make anyone at Sugar Hill nervous by my questions. I'm just a silly amatuer writer. What they should really worry about is the fact that the IRS has an office right nearby in Mays Landing. After all, even if Sugar Hill only makes a measley dime profit per sub, when they hang out a big sign saying they've sold a billion of them, they are telling everyone who drives by (which surely includes some of those IRS dough snoopers) that they have made a hundred million dollars.

The sign is obviously a spoof, but, if anyone gets the idea of turning Sugar Hill in to whoever it is that regulates the accuracy of sub shop signs (and I'm sure there is a bureaucrat somehwere - probably in the office next to the IRS - who does that), please forget about it. It is an interesting, local piece of road art.

Besides, it helps people hone up on their math skills, too."

vik

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Thu, 07/7/05 4:01 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Rob9909

I'm from the Norristown area and just happened upon this thread. I think the best place to get Zeps is "Eve's" up on Sandy Hill. Lou's on Main St. is good too but I prefer "Eve's". Try to get a zep at lunchtime without waiting in line. West Conshohocken Bakery rolls, really strong onions and a large portion for your dollar are three of the qualities that make the Eve's Zeps the best for me. There was also a good steak and zep shop out near BlueBell on 202N called "Pudgie's". They were huge sandwiches. I remember getting one for lunch when I worked out that way and eating the other half for dinner. If your in Norristown in the summer don't forget to get a Buddy's Water Ice too. Its located on E. Main St. past Lou's. Don't get side tracked by Marcy's which is a block before Buddy's. I prefer Buddy's over Marcy's or Rita's anyday but I grew up on Buddy's. Its not so syrupy and you can drink it with a straw or eat it with a spoon. Watermelon is their signature flavor.

thundr

• Total Posts: 7
                  RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Fri, 07/22/05 4:28 PM (permalink)
                  Sugar Hill Deli is great. Also, Primo's in Phila and Marlton, NJ--the rolls are Sarcone's, and the prov is aged and hand cut. Perfect.

mabk34

• Total Posts: 28
                    RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Wed, 08/10/05 2:32 PM (permalink)
                    This is fun reading ... I'm moving to Norristown in a couple of weeks (for better or worse, but mostly for less expensive housing!)and am excited to read about these places and the whole concept of a Zep.

And this is after my Ohio-bred mind finally straightened out the whole hoagie/grinder thing. The nuances of regional lingo ... *sigh*

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Wed, 08/10/05 6:43 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Seriousfoody

See, that's not true away from the east coast. I really can't think of a good mom/pop purveyor of subs the way I like them (hold all the condiments except liberal doses of oil/vinegar and salt/pepper) here in San Francisco. The pizza places here don't make subs, at least the ones near me. I'm sure maybe way out "in the avenues," as we say here, there are a few good independent sub places, but they are not common like in the east. Here, we have taquerias fulfilling that function. And the Italian delis make sandwiches but more often creations on focaccia than actual subs. So I go to Subway and get a BMT which is a reasonable approximation of the subs I remember from back east.

ChloeGirldie

• Total Posts: 1
                        RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Wed, 08/31/05 3:04 PM (permalink)
                        I live in Mt. Laurel NJ, which is pretty developed. But I LOVE WaWa hoagies! They are so awesome. I'm going to college in Virginia now, and not only are they not called hoagies but there are no WaWas!! But they do have a Panera, which are more common now, but they have the BEST bread and sandwiches, too!

littletaco

RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Thu, 09/1/05 7:24 PM (permalink)
                          Best turkey sub ever: Lambert's in Dorchester, MA.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Hoagies, Heros, Zeps etc. Thu, 09/1/05 8:03 PM (permalink)

OK, Let me add a term I have only seen a few times along the Gulf Coast within about 100 miles or so of Pensacola, FL. I had an "Oyster Loaf" which to me seemed identical to an "Oyster Po'Boy", or Oysters on a Sub Roll.
                            It was a typical east-coast sub roll filled with Fried oysters and the choice of cocktail or tartar sauce, with a layer of lettuce to keep it from soaking thru the bread. I had about a dozen Oysters stuffed in the sandwich. I haven't heard the term "Loaf" used to describe what we seem to call all these other names in other places.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 74 of 74

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com