The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Family edible Christmas tradition

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
Family edible Christmas tradition Mon, 12/5/05 7:26 PM (permalink)
We've done this for at least fifty years. It's pretty to look at, and children love eating it.
We're making a Christmas wreath.

Melt a cube of margarine with one bag of large marshmellows. Mix in 1/2 of a large box of corn flakes, and 1 1/2 tsp. green food coloring.
Form this onto a serving dish in the shape of a wreath. Decorate with red hots for berries and add a bow.

I know, I know...simple minds, simple pleasures.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
    RE: Family edible Christmas tradition Mon, 12/5/05 7:45 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

We've done this for at least fifty years. It's pretty to look at, and children love eating it.

Melt a cube of margarine with one bag of large marshmellows. Mix in 1/2 of a large box of corn flakes, and 1 1/2 tsp. green food coloring.
    Form this onto a serving dish in the shape of a wreath. Decorate with red hots for berries and add a bow.

It takes much more than a simple mind to enjoy a simple pleasure. It takes love and understanding and a sense of tradition. You're very fortunate.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Family edible Christmas tradition Mon, 12/5/05 10:42 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
      Originally posted by Poverty Pete

It takes much more than a simple mind to enjoy a simple pleasure. It takes love and understanding and a sense of tradition. You're very fortunate.

Ditto, Mr. Hoffman. Poverty, thanks for sharing that. Cool...

I grew up with a huge extended family. I don't have that anymore. I love hearing about people who have kept the traditions. That's what is worth cherishing...

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
        RE: Family edible Christmas tradition Tue, 12/6/05 11:27 PM (permalink)
        We already put in our order for edible Christmas stuff with my Mother. A batch of Italian hazelnut torte for me and a batch of "Berscrutti" (Biscotti) for The Big Guy. Then Mom says, "I can't find any hazelnuts here." Don't scratch the order Mom, nice try, but it's not gonna work, I can buy them ON LINE. Silence. She says, "Really?" Yep, they're on a FedEx truck right now. Sorry. Turn the oven on and start baking.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
          RE: Family edible Christmas tradition Wed, 12/7/05 8:46 AM (permalink)
          My Mom still makes her old faithful Bundt pan full of monkey bread on Christmas Eve. This had been a tradition for years along with her hot Cranberry Cider.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
            RE: Family edible Christmas tradition Wed, 12/7/05 7:32 PM (permalink)
            What I like best about our Christmas wreath is this:
            A six year old, with a little supervision, can make it, and the total cost is less than the batteries for the toy he wants. Based on my experience, I can promise you that when he's grown, the only thing he'll remember about the Christmas of '05 is the wreath he got to make with grandma and grandpa.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com