Baseball Trip Complete!

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2003/06/01 16:26:19 (permalink)

Baseball Trip Complete!

Just got back to Rhode Island yesterday. I am going to attempt to post some reviews in the very near future of a few places. But will provide an overview of the places I went to in chronological order.
May 23-Cincinnati- Lunch. Camp Washington Chili. A Bowl of five way and two cheese coneys. Fantastic as always.
Dinner. Two skyline cheese coneys at the ball park. Not bad,
can't hold a candle to Camp Washington.
May 24-Chicago- Lunch. Mr. Beef. An italian beef/sausage combo hot and sweet. Who says you can't have it both ways.
Dinner- Gino's East. A small deep dish with sausage. Deep Dish heaven but I could only do 3/4 of the pie.
May 25- Milwaukee- Lunch-Bratwurst at the ball park. They say the best in major league baseball, their probably right. Couldn't find any cheese curds at Miller Park, their website said they had them, guess they lied
Dinner. Chuck's place in Thiensville , about 15 miles north of Milwaukee.. Three girls at this bar in Thiensville recommended this place. Nice family style restaurant. Had the Sheboygan Brat which I've never had before and also had fried cheese, they werent' curds though. The fried cheese came with a ketchup based dipping sauce which was quite "interesting"
Desert- Kopps Frozen Custard. 14% butterfat...WOW! It was grasshopper fudge day. Two scoops!!
May 26-Milwaukee Breakfast. Kringle from the OH Bakery which I picked up the day before in Racine Wisconsin
Des Moines- Lunch- Bratwurst at the Ballpark- So So
Dinner- Iowa Machine Shed. Iowa Stuffed Chop Dinner. I've been there before and had looked forward to returning. I usually don't eat pork chops, but if I lived in Des Moines, that's probably all I would eat. Surprisingly the bread basket contained small cinamon rolls this time too. This was an added bonus! I was saving desert for Sour Cream Pie at Bakers Cafeteria, however they were surprisingly closed for Memorial Day, even though when I called the week before, they said they would be open. Oh Well
May 27-Des Moines Breakfast. Kirkwood Corner Cafe. They just don't make Cinammon Rolls like this back east!
Kansas City-Lunch- Gates BBQ, this was my second choice after I found out that Sneads is not open on Tuesdays. The short end ribs and beans don't dissapoint. The fries were nothing special
Dinner- Strouds. I am convinced that elephants and hippos are consulted to determine the portion size for each meal. I could only finish 1/2 of my fried chicken dinner which included cottage fries, green beans, cinammon rolls and salad with real homemade blue cheese dressing. Of course desert was out of the question.
May 28- Newton KS Lunch(about 25 miles north of Wichita- The Breadbasket. I am absolutely surprised that the Sterns have never been here. A country style cafe on the high plains in downtown Newton. Service is Cafeteria Style. Fresh Breads, Soup and extremely diverse salad bar. Also had Bierocks! These are similar to Runzas in Nebraska, however the Bierocks at the Bread Basket just simply blow Runzas away. I got there early because I understand they sell out by late afternoon.
Dinner- Oklahoma City OK. Dinner. Leo's BBQ. If you don't mind dining with flies, the BBQ Brisket and Beans are un freakin believable. The strawberry banana cake was ok too.
May 29- Edmonds (just north of OK City) Lunch- Steves Ribs. Cleaner and newer than Leo's. Good BBQ but not as good as Leo's.
Dinner- St. Louis. Rigazzi's. Cold dissapointing toasted Ravioli's, good red sauce, had a very good antipasto salad though.
Dessert- Ted Drewes. Banana Chip Concrete........Enough said
May 30- Indianapolis IN. Lunch. Mug n Bun. So this is a breaded pork tenderloin. I thought it was really good, and am quite surprised that there is better out there. Also had the potato wedges and Root Beer.
Cleveland OH-Dinner. Soklowski's University Inn. This is the other place I'm surprised the Sterns never visited. A polish style eatery with cafeteria service and a nice dining room. Had fresh fried perch that was out of this world, the best pierogies in Cleveland and a gigantic slice of carrot cake. Dinner includes salad bar which is also rather diverse.
May 31- Pittsburgh- Lunch. Stopped at the new suburban Primanti's in my old stomping grounds in Pittsburgh before flying back. Since I have a fear of flying I always thought of Primanti's as an appropriate place for my last meal

47 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1