Road Trip Reports and Notes-

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
2003/06/01 17:20:11 (permalink)

Road Trip Reports and Notes-

I noticed that we are getting indiviual trip reports on various threads, and thought I would begin one where we can do a log, diary, or just trip notes on a road trip we have completed. I like the way the Baseball report was done, and the Kansas-Indy trip also. So here goes my report for the week of 5/26-5/31.
We had planned to wander from Louisville to Cairo IL then up the Mississippi River to somewhere in Iowa/Wisconsin before turning East to visit my daughter in Baraboo,WI. 2 days with the kids looking at Lighthouses in the Green Bay area, then home on a one-day marathon using the Interstates.
Well, I learned that answering a cell phone is a no-no while on a wandering tour. Shortly after eating at Shemwell's BBQ in Cairo,IL (rate it 4 on a 10 scale)(dirty beyond 'folksy') We got a call from one of my sons in Phoenix,AZ, who needed help moving back to Louisville...right away... So taking a left turn at St Louis we headed for AZ via Ok City, Amarillo, and Albuquerque. We did find time to stop in Amarillo at Dyers BBQ (Exit 68B) (Rate it 8 on a 10 Scale) Great ribs, very good Pork Loin instead of shoulder,good Brisket. The sausage tasted like Hillshire Farms. Blackberry Cobbler was really good. Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw,Onion Rings- made on the spot- toast and Apricot sauce in addition to the TX hot BBQ sauces
After loading the Penske truck...tying on the tow dollies and stuffing his wife and kids into my vehicle, Janet and I drove the Rental and off we went. We took the tribe back to Dyer's on the way thru Amarillo. The dinner rush was on, and two cranky kids lowered the service level we received (can't blame the help for not wanting to hear a 3 yr old bellow) so I would give it a 6 out of 10 this time...due to the slower service . We limped into Louisville Friday evening...4000 miles in 5 days. Looking forward to another attempt at a leisurely trip up-the-river later this summer.
The Henderson,KY Blues and BBQ festival will be in a couple of weeks, and we will wander down to eat and enjoy the music for a day or two. That's the report for a lot of miles... AND way too Many Subways.
AL

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1