The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

College Days or is it College Daze

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
College Days or is it College Daze Mon, 06/2/03 8:23 PM (permalink)
What did you survive on in college? Lived in a $9.00 a week rooming house with lousy cooking facilities and even worse refigeration. Plus food stored in the kitchen would tend to disappear. So it tended to be what you could cook in an electric frying pan or pop corn popper or one of those immersible heaters.

Basics included pot pies when they were 10 for a buck, t.v. dinners
4 for a buck, 10 loaves of white bread for a buck, Happy Hamburgers on Wed. nites were 10 for a buck. Banquet boil in a bag turkey, beef, chicken - 10 for a buck over rice or noodles, it wasn't called pasta in the midwest yet. Gourmet eating when you were flush, as in after you sold your blood or plasma included such delicacies as Chunky Soup over rice or tins of smoked oysters or clams over rice with peppers and onions or perhaps sardines with onions and mustard, or barbecue sauce on some of that cheap white bread. The epitome of having no money for food, but one did have enough money for beer, was peanuts. Yhe recipe is simple - eat a lot of peanuts then drink water until you felt full, when you felt unfull, repeat. This diet did not include the borrowing of salt and pepper shakers and catsup and mustard containers and crackers from the local dives

Michael Stern

RE: College Days or is it College Daze Mon, 06/2/03 8:24 PM (permalink)
    Pizza: hot at night, cold leftovers from the refrigerator in the morning.

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
      RE: College Days or is it College Daze Mon, 06/2/03 9:07 PM (permalink)
      Pizza; hot at night room tempurature from the coffee table in the morning.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: College Days or is it College Daze Mon, 06/2/03 9:17 PM (permalink)
        Like Michael, I lived on hot nighttime pizza and cold, leftover pizza for breakfast. When I had money at the beginning of each term (we were on a tri-semester calendar), I indulged in the most famous of Penn State foods: grilled stickies from the Penn State Diner. These long sticky buns are grilled and the sugar and butter melt and they are just spectacular!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
          RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 8:50 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Michael Stern

Pizza: hot at night, cold leftovers from the refrigerator in the morning.

...plus that 3/4 full can of warm beer I didn't finish the night before.

I also ate a LOT of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. By itself, or you could add a can of green beans and a can of tuna for a "real treat".

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
            RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 10:09 AM (permalink)
            I ate most of my meals in the dorm cafeteria, but it was closed on Sundays. Of course none of us had any money left after pitching in for keg parties on the river, so we would go to this little Mexican food joint and for a dollar each they would give us all the frijoles, cheese and tortillas we could eat.

My lowest point was after I was no longer living in the dorm, and for some reason my grandmother had sent me mass quantities of black-eyed peas she had canned. I ate nothing but black eyed peas for a week once.

I still love them though!

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
              RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 10:30 AM (permalink)
              Only had a hot pot. Made creamed tuna which I poured over crumbled saltines. Beer-steamed hot dogs. And boiled potatoes in chicken bouillion...

Sundancer7

RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 11:09 AM (permalink)
                Before I graduated from the University of Tennessee, I went to a junion college in Decatur, Mississippi. I ate at the college cookerie ever day and after dinner, I went downtown Decatur which was two blocks long. There was a cafe there called "Pearls" I had a piece of pecan pie and a coke ever night. Was it ever good.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

essvee

• Total Posts: 425
                  RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 11:47 AM (permalink)
                  I honestly dont remember much more than bagels and cheddar cheese, and Top Ramen.

www.roadjag.com

• Total Posts: 3
                    RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 11:47 AM (permalink)
                    Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen Top Ramen

And upon graduation - The day I received my diploma in the mail I said "As God as my witness, if I have to lie, cheat, steal or kill, as God as my witness, I will never eat Top Ramen again!"

Then a few years later, I became a full-time political campaign volunteer and once again subsisted on......The campaign did actually pay me in pizza and gin.

Thea

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 11:57 AM (permalink)
                      I seem to remember a lot of pot pies but I mostly ate in the dorm. I went to a private religious based college and on Sundays when the dining hall was closed, we would manage to get ourselves invited to a church supper some where.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                        RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 7:22 PM (permalink)
                        Criminy, how could I forget tuna fish, another staple when it was 10 cents a can. We would mix it with a can of cream of mushroom soup, over rice ir nnodles with either crushed potato chips, or sauted cheap white bread croutons. I don't eat canned tuna today, perhaps a holdover from no money days.

As I think about it there were some other things we would dine on. Turbot and monkfish were considered trash fish and were very cheap then, no longer now. Another cheap food was lamb shanks, nobody ate trotters then, and I think they were about 10 cents a pound. I pay 2.99 a pound today.

The other things that were very CHEAP were the offal meats, i.e., brains, sweetbreads, heart, liver, kidney, etc which I still eat today. Sweetbreads in a cream and garlic sauce, some like a red sauce. Or calves brains and scrambled eggs were great then, still great today. And how can anyone resist liver and onions and bacon. Well acutally there are people who don't uderstand the delight of that meal. My family certainly doesn't. I have to make it when they are not home, the smell makes them sick. Add a can of beets and it it pure heaven. perhps the OFFAL meats deserve a category of there own. Enjoy

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 7:37 PM (permalink)
                          I was married and we had one child when I was working on my BA degree in Salem, Mass. As posted on another thread I cooked at a Howard Johnson's those years..I ate ok, and the rest of the family seemed to survive...Hmmmm now that you mention it, I wonder what they did eat?? (lots of Hamburger Helper)

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3557
                            RE: College Days or is it College Daze Tue, 06/3/03 7:37 PM (permalink)
                            Cupid Hot dogs and Tommy's Chili Burgers. Oh------and Jack-in-the Box fried tacos!!! Man, were my tastes exotic then!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                              RE: College Days or is it College Daze Wed, 06/4/03 3:14 AM (permalink)
                              Cupid's? Tommy's? Did you go to CSUN?

My dorm room 5 major food groups:

1. Top Ramen (What did anyone do before Top Ramen?)

2. Apple fritters (For some reason my room-mate's dad used to bring her huge bags of apples every week. I ate more apple fritters at 3 am than I'd ever eaten in my whole life.)

3. Nachos.

4. Beans and rice (Luckily I went back to college as an adult and already knew how to make red beans and rice!)

5. Alcohol (We were 3 redheaded girls living in a confined space. I used to put ice cream, chocolate syrup and any alcohol I could find...usually vodka and kahlua, into the blender. Those shakes were the only thing that kept us from killing eachother).

EdSails

RE: College Days or is it College Daze Wed, 06/4/03 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                Yes Elise, I'm a CSUN Grad.......also loved the chiese food at Brother's around the corner from Sierra Hall and the Felafel Pplace across the street on Reseda
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by EliseT

Cupid's? Tommy's? Did you go to CSUN?

My dorm room 5 major food groups:

1. Top Ramen (What did anyone do before Top Ramen?)

2. Apple fritters (For some reason my room-mate's dad used to bring her huge bags of apples every week. I ate more apple fritters at 3 am than I'd ever eaten in my whole life.)

3. Nachos.

4. Beans and rice (Luckily I went back to college as an adult and already knew how to make red beans and rice!)

5. Alcohol (We were 3 redheaded girls living in a confined space. I used to put ice cream, chocolate syrup and any alcohol I could find...usually vodka and kahlua, into the blender. Those shakes were the only thing that kept us from killing eachother.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                  RE: College Days or is it College Daze Wed, 06/4/03 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                  haha, it's like in My Fair Lady, when they can pinpoint a person by accent...kind of scary, hunh? I'm going to start an LA thread in where to eat and we can all gab more...

EdSails

RE: College Days or is it College Daze Wed, 06/4/03 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                    Great idea, Elise.......can I start by suggesting Takefuku in torrance.....japanese noodles with some sushi-----most expensive thing is a combo plate for 12 dollars........always fresh with a primarily japanese clientele. Not fancy at all and cash only. For 6 bucks you can get a huge bowl of noodle soup with shrimp tempura. I wish we'd had that around when I went to CSUN
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by EliseT

haha, it's like in My Fair Lady, when they can pinpoint a person by accent...kind of scary, hunh? I'm going to start an LA thread in where to eat and we can all gab more...

Danhx

• Total Posts: 45
                                      RE: College Days or is it College Daze Thu, 06/5/03 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                      During my freshmen year my roommate used to come back from his various adventures and, of course, make some food. Ramen served well for a while but then he got onto Mac and Cheese. Pretty standard stuff until he decided to prolong his innebriation by using not water but Vodka to cook the noodles...Not only did it taste horrific (i tried it...ONCE) but it made the room smell like some sort of demonic flatulence for about a week and half after every time he did it. Strangely enough, he liked it made with Vodka, but hated it the time that he tried it with beer. It was a very interesting year.

cudaaman

• Total Posts: 6
                                        RE: College Days or is it College Daze Thu, 06/5/03 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                        My senior year, I lived in a dorm with an actual kitchen, and a couple of times a year I would make a "nice" dinner like spaghetti with sausage or teriyaki chicken. But most of the time, I made this tuna sandwiches in the dorm cafeteria. They had just plain, undressed tuna on the salad bar., so I threw it in a bowl with ranch dressing and chopped up carrots and slathered on bread.
                                        Also, I used to drink big cups of coffee with tea bags stuck in them to heighten the caffeine level. But I can't do that anymore.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                          RE: College Days or is it College Daze Thu, 06/5/03 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                          I would saute' anything in the fridge that wasn't growing mold in olive oil and garlic, serve it over pasta with cheese. I also would buy a chicken leg quarter and make chicken soup out of it. Weekends, when it was warm, I would grill chicken legs or game hen on the "smokin josephus". Other fav's included chili, and lentil soup.

When my spirits were "elevated" I might mix refries with salsa, cover it with jack cheeze, pop it in the oven and eat the whole thing with tortilla chips and a quart of Old Style....Then I'd "elevate" my spirits again and...

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                                            RE: College Days or is it College Daze Thu, 06/5/03 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Wow, I'm old---Kraft Mac & Cheese was 15 cents a box, and I couldn't afford vodka to mix with it. But for variety, rice-a-roni at 33 cents was a treat. But, hey a sausage pizza with extra cheese from the joint down the street was a buck! I ate really bad in college.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com