Charley's fries - oh my!

Author
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
2005/12/29 13:58:50 (permalink)

Charley's fries - oh my!

For quick BG info, Charley's Grilled Subs (http://www.charleys.com/index_M.htm) started at Ohio State University in the 1980s and has since branched out to more than 200+ restaurants in 30+ states.

Their web site proudly proclaims, "...with a national trend toward more healthful eating, grilled foods are rapidly gaining popularity over fried foods. Charley's menu specialties feature nutritionally beneficial foods, including made-to-order grilled steak or chicken sandwichs and fresh-cut gormet fries...offering today's health-conscious and yet taste-loving consumers a better alternative to the higher-calorie and fat-laden menu offerings of most competitors."

It is true that some of their fare *is* healthy if you order the low-fat sandwich options. But what really caught me off-guard was their french fries.

Called "gormet fries," the fries come in one standard size (not very large) and can be dressed with cheddar cheese, cheddar & bacon, ranch & bacon, or plain.

...I don't think you want to know the fat/calorie content of these fries. The numbers are shocking. For the regular, plain fries, one serving is a whopping 53 grams of fat and 690 calories! Cheddar/bacon fries has an insane 91 grams of fat (91!!!) and over 1,000 calories. Ranch & Bacon top 100 grams of fat.

I simply couldn't believe it when I read it. For a sub shop - now a chain, yes, but I digress - to proclaim that they have such 'healthy' food and yet have a ridiculous amount of fat and calories in their french fries alone seems incredibly deceiving.

Most of their 'regular' sandwiches are between 20-30g of fat and have at least 600 calories.

But the fries...simply astounding! Granted, I do think their fries are quite good (I have tried the cheddar & bacon and the ranch & bacon within the past month), but at this rate, you're better off with a medium fries at any fast food joint - they have less calories and fat than Charley's plain!

~Jessica

7 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1