Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best pancake syrup

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59
Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/11/06 5:25 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by octopus

100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup, even if I buy it at the local store I get the stuff from Vermont. I don't get hung up on the grades it's all good to me.
My wife does not like Maple Syrup at all she eats her pancakes, waffles or french toast with jam or apparently a Russian tradition Sweetened Condensed Milk, sounds weird but it is not half bad.

pancakes eat my Russian with Vodka!

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
    RE: Best pancake syrup Sat, 01/14/06 10:11 PM (permalink)
    Maple's good, but give me a traditional Southern Cane Syrup any day of the week. Or a molasses/cane syrup mix. Much more flavourful than maple, IMO. Anthony's "Uncle Johns" Brand out of Philadelphia, MS is top notch.

dweller

• Total Posts: 70
      RE: Best pancake syrup Mon, 01/16/06 12:36 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Gizmolito

I don't know if this product has been discussed here or not in the past, but shagbark hickory syrup is extremely good, and is made from the bark, not the sap, of the tree. These people are about 15 miles south of where we live.
      http://hickoryworks.com/

Can you describe it's taste? I was thinking of getting some.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
        RE: Best pancake syrup Mon, 01/16/06 2:20 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by dweller

quote:
        Originally posted by Gizmolito

I don't know if this product has been discussed here or not in the past, but shagbark hickory syrup is extremely good, and is made from the bark, not the sap, of the tree. These people are about 15 miles south of where we live.
        http://hickoryworks.com/

Can you describe it's taste? I was thinking of getting some.

We had a "sample size" of it a while back, so I too am thinking of getting some more. I had it on pancakes, and it didn't seem quite as sweet as maple syrup, and had a kind of nutty? flavor. I thought it was really good, as something different. Not to say it's better than maple syrup, which trumps them all for me. To me it's like always ordering the ribeye steak, but going for a porterhouse once in a while.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
          RE: Best pancake syrup Mon, 01/16/06 3:08 PM (permalink)
          Lyle's Golden Syrup. Heavenly.

Maple syrup is nothing but tree sap.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
            RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 1:30 PM (permalink)
            I am confused on the different 100% maple syrups. What is the difference between the A and B grades, and amber colors? I always just assumed that dark amber and grade A was better than light amber or grade B. I've seen some brands that have the same syrup in regular and extra thick versions. Are they just boiled longer to remove excess liquid?

creek rat

• Total Posts: 83
              RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
              I like Vermont Maid made in North Jersey. You got a problem wit dat? Just kidding, my favorite is real maple syrup from the state of Maine.

911mom

• Total Posts: 19
                RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 4:55 PM (permalink)
                Alot of our friends and neighbors tap their own trees and get the wood fired up in the sugar shacks here in NE PA, so I cast my vote for dark amber Bradford County PA maple syrup!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                  RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 6:49 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by 911mom

Alot of our friends and neighbors tap their own trees and get the wood fired up in the sugar shacks here in NE PA, so I cast my vote for dark amber Bradford County PA maple syrup!
                  Spent many a night in the sugar house after collecting sap from late morning till late afternoon. Some years it would be upwards of 40 gals. to make one gallon, but on a very good year 24 to 30 gals is great. Chow Jim

Jimeats

RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 6:53 PM (permalink)
                    Oh! I forgot after sugaring all day and evening with a few libations then we would go smelting they happen to run at the same time. It was many long long days and tough mornings. Chow Jim

Sourdust

• Total Posts: 32
                      RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/17/06 9:41 PM (permalink)
                      Pure maple syrup is the only way to go...I'll skimp on a few things, but maple syrup -- food generally -- isn't one of them. I live in Vermont, and I work at and shop at a natural foods co-op, so it's an easy choice. I prefer grade B for the stronger flavor, and I really don't get the whining about price I've seen from a few here...go to some place you can buy in bulk (it lasts for a long time), it won't cost any more than the $2.50-3/pound that I pay here (Vermont's expensive)....and how can you ever go back to crap like Mrs Butterworths or Log Cabin after the real thing? It's one of those small splurges that make life worth living.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                        RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/18/06 1:52 AM (permalink)
                        Sorry, Sourdust (and fellow Vermonters) but although I agree with you completely on the goodness of maple syrup, I generally buy the Canadian product at Trader Joe's. They have a nice variety of sizes and grades and all of them are well priced.

I also like and use cane sugar syrup, but generally not for slathering on pancakes. Mostly I use it as a sweetener in various glazes and other cooking uses. Once upon a time I came upon the mother lode of Lyle's at The Bargain Bank, a grocery outlet store selling overstock and outdated items near me in SF. Otherwise I use the brand I can get, commonly Uncle Steve's. Pure cane syrup can be hard to come by outside the south.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                          RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/18/06 6:07 AM (permalink)
                          I can remember as a little guy I stayed with kin in S Alabama for a couple weeks one summer. We went out for breakfast and the pancake syrup on the table was this dark brown, thick, evil smelling (to my young nose) stuff. I took a little taste of it and promptly asked if they had any Log Cabin. Was this cane syrup?

MamaPoo

• Total Posts: 38
                            RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/18/06 7:05 AM (permalink)
                            It might have been sorghum syrup. That stuff is NASTY! I'm not a huge fan of pure cane syrup either. I like the brands that are cut with some corn syrup . Not quite as strong tasting for putting on pancakes. The pure stuff is good to "sop" with biscuits. But my fave would have to be pure maple syrup for pancakes.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                              RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/18/06 2:47 PM (permalink)
                              We also grew up with Log Cabin. It was the only brand around and my dad sold it in his little grocery store. Now I wonder what it was made of--did it have any maple syrup in it at all?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                RE: Best pancake syrup Wed, 01/18/06 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by enginecapt

I can remember as a little guy I stayed with kin in S Alabama for a couple weeks one summer. We went out for breakfast and the pancake syrup on the table was this dark brown, thick, evil smelling (to my young nose) stuff. I took a little taste of it and promptly asked if they had any Log Cabin. Was this cane syrup?

Likely as suggested it was sorghum syrup, but cane syrup comes in a variety of grades like maple syrup. The top grade, like Lyle's, is almost clear and a very light yellow with little taste beyond sweetness (which is why I don't like it as much for pancakes as maple syrup). The lowest grades of cane syrup are dark and heavily flavored with molasses and that could have tasted/smelled nasty to a young palate.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                  RE: Best pancake syrup Thu, 01/19/06 8:00 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by offlady

We also grew up with Log Cabin. It was the only brand around and my dad sold it in his little grocery store. Now I wonder what it was made of--did it have any maple syrup in it at all?
                                  I'm going to date myself, but I remember Log Cabin coming in a tin log cabin dispenser. Oy.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Best pancake syrup Fri, 01/20/06 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                    i get all this stuff about pure natural walk out to the tree tap in and get some syrup but as good as that stuff is i still have a fondness for log cabin cause in those pre who new about natural real foods days log cabin was what ya got with your pancakes or french toast so aside from actually liking the taste it brings back all those childhood memories. well that's my 2 cents.

Sundancer7

RE: Best pancake syrup Fri, 01/20/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Soghrum syrup is a big deal around Tennessee. The quality is a different deal. If they do not get the green stuff off the top, it is sorta bitter. If they do it correctly, it taste much better. I have watched the Amish folks do it and they constantly top of the boil and do something with it like feed the cattle or something. If that is not done, it is awful

It is not one of my favortie syrups. althought it will work when nothing else is available.

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

Kirsby

• Total Posts: 88
                                        RE: Best pancake syrup Thu, 01/26/06 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                        I haven't tried it myselft, but I thought I would pass along this news from my neck of the woods:

INTERNATIONAL FIRST-PLACE WINNER

Do you know who has the world's best maple syrup? It's the Bramble Patch of New Glarus.

Their family's maple syrup has been judged #1 by an International panel of judges at Three Rivers Quebec at the last International Maple competition.

"Our family has a 117-year history of producing maple syrup. It's a tradition that has been passed down through the generations, and our focus has always been on quality. It's a blend of art, instinct and perfect procedure to brew top-quality, full flavored maple syrup. Our syrup is so consistent in flavor and color that our customers know exactly what they will get from one year to another--no seasonal surprises here. We are in love with everything that surrounds this nectar of the northwoods, from the nurture and caretaking of the forest right down to the bottling and packaging. It is this passion that results in a superb-tasting maple syrup that we hope to share with you."

This is the FOURTH time they have been awarded first place!! Visit the Bramble Patch at 526 First street or www.thebramblepatch.biz.

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
                                          RE: Best pancake syrup Thu, 01/26/06 3:50 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm one of those who can't stand the taste of maple or molasses. If I use syrup instead of butter and jam, it would be Karo krystal. It's the old name for light corn syrup.

I didn't know Karo was "poor people syrup." I just used it as a kid so I could have pancakes and not have to taste maple. I also like huckleberry syrup or lemon, butter and powdered sugar.

My grandmother used molasses on fried mush. To me it tastes like burnt tar and sugar.

lunasatic

• Total Posts: 283
                                            RE: Best pancake syrup Thu, 01/26/06 5:17 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by cyrano

Not to interrupt the maple syrup lovefest (yeah, I like it too), but I prefer Steen's Pure Cane Syrup from Louisiana on my pancakes and waffles. Thicker and darker than pancake syrup but lighter and more flavorful than molasses, it is a taste of my childhood that I rediscovered to my great joy. It's one of the dozen or so things I pick up on my yearly December trip back home to Texas.

Yeah, it's nice to just go to the local grocery & get a can off the shelf (without having to go through gymnastics of ordering/waiting).
                                            I like maple candy & maple cream, but Steens stands up to the best buckwheat/buttermilk pancakes. I actually prefer waffles with nothing but butter (NOT margarine) and pecans. Guess a lot depends on where you grew up eating!

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
                                              RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/31/06 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                              The topic of "grades" of maple syrup might have come and gone, but i think it's important that everyone know that the various grades have no bearing on the quality. good eats did an episode on this, tucked in a tangent of the "pancake" episode. best pancakes ever, btw...

Have to second the Vermont assessment. Here is a link to place I like, with a chart on the grades:

http://www.sugarbushfarm.com/Products.aspx?pn_deptid=86

I have to totally agree with Sourdust. I mean seriously... is the cost of pure maple syrup really cost prohibitive? it's not like we're dumping truffle oil or caviar on our flapjacks here. $13... 1 pint... that's enough to last a long time.

maybe the solution is a plastic jug o' aunt jemima for the frozen waffles for the kids, and the good stuff for when you actually take the time for quality flapjacking.

Jimeats

RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/31/06 2:03 PM (permalink)
                                                I can personally attest to the overall justified cost of pure maple syurp. I'ts a lot of work and a very short season 6 to 8 weeks on a very good year. You have to collect 25 to 40 gals. of raw sap to produce one gallon of syrup. Thats a lot of trees to tap and there is always deep snow cover in most areas. The large commericial sugar houses use tap lines that go directly to a collector vat or tub but most smaller producers still do it the old fashioned way right into the pails on a good warm day they have to be tended to 2 to 3 times a day. But as I said before the enjoyment comes in the evening when you start to cook it down this is the part the hard cider comes in we always save a barrel of it for sugaring. If this weather keeps up it will be an early season for sugar. Chow Jim

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                  RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 01/31/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Jimeats

But as I said before the enjoyment comes in the evening when you start to cook it down this is the part the hard cider comes in we always save a barrel of it for sugaring.

Does that hard cider go into the pot or the guys watching it?

Either way, could be good thing.

Burgermeister

• Total Posts: 73
                                                    • Location: Fairfield County, CT
                                                    RE: Best pancake syrup Mon, 02/13/06 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by santacruz

Yep Trader Joe's "B" grade syrup is a real bargain and it tastes great...

...I really like the grade B better, it has a more Maple flavor.

Jimeats

RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 02/14/06 7:14 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Jimeats

But as I said before the enjoyment comes in the evening when you start to cook it down this is the part the hard cider comes in we always save a barrel of it for sugaring.

Does that hard cider go into the pot or the guys watching it?

Either way, could be good thing.
                                                      The latter the evening gets there has been known to be some spillage we just grade that AA and save for private use. Chow Jim

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                        RE: Best pancake syrup Tue, 02/14/06 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                        I grew up on Golden Griddle. Though I rarely have syrup anymore, it's probably still my favorite imitation maple syrup. But, since I regulate my sugar intake, I would much prefer the real thing from Vermont or the Adirondaks.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                                                          • Location: Dalton, GA
                                                          RE: Best pancake syrup Thu, 02/23/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                                          There is an article about maple syrup in the latest issue of Gourmet magazine.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com