The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Times Square Steakhouses

SBXSTR

• Total Posts: 52
Times Square Steakhouses Sat, 12/31/05 3:54 PM (permalink)
Going to NYC for a long winter weekend in February and will be staying at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. Does anyone have any suggestions for steakhouses within reasonable proximity to this hotel? Of course, Peter Luger is already planned for one night(realizing its not close to the hotel). Does anyone have any knowledge of Ben & Jack's Steakhouse - it is on 44th and recently got a green dot in Forbes. Supposed to have been started by 2 ex-Luger alumni. Thanks in advance for your help.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
    So long as it isn't raining, you can catch a cab to any restaurant you please, for just a few bucks. No need to limit yourself.

Sparks?

Gallagher's is walking distance.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
      RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 10:37 AM (permalink)
      I had a great well crusted and marbled rib-eye steak at Del Frisco, around 49th and sixth. It was called the "carpetbagger" steak, about the best I had ever had in my life!!

and for some reason, that steak is a special price, I remember it being only about $27.00. Even comes with potatoes!

the other steaks are way more

enjoy
      ellen

PaulBPool

• Total Posts: 278
        RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 10:40 AM (permalink)
        Del Frisco's is a great spot for a "special" dinner. The steaks are just great, the appy's and sides are all well done, and the service is first rate.
        It it not unusual to get a thank you note from your server a day or two after your visit - nice personal touch.
        Pricy, yes, but worth it.

shen

• Total Posts: 150
          RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 10:49 AM (permalink)
          Do not go to del friscos for steak...I have had maybe 15 client lunches there last year and the steaks arent a big deal - the crab cakes are to die for! I even had the chef come out with new steaks and free desserts bc the steaks we had were barely eaten. Great service but I have enjoyed the seafood there the most. for steaks in nyc - one place - wolfgangs.

Tony Bad

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 11:53 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by SBXSTR

Going to NYC for a long winter weekend in February and will be staying at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. Does anyone have any suggestions for steakhouses within reasonable proximity to this hotel? Of course, Peter Luger is already planned for one night(realizing its not close to the hotel). Does anyone have any knowledge of Ben & Jack's Steakhouse - it is on 44th and recently got a green dot in Forbes. Supposed to have been started by 2 ex-Luger alumni. Thanks in advance for your help.

Shula's is in the Westin hotel also on Times Square, and isn't bad if you don't want to travel, but you can do much better by taking a walk or cab to places like Sparks (I like!) or places other people have mentioned.

wallhd

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 12:06 PM (permalink)
              Ben Benson's is also nearby. Maybe a 7 minute walk from your hotel... and well worth it too I might add.

Wally

SBXSTR

• Total Posts: 52
                RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 5:55 PM (permalink)
                Thanks for your input, people. I was trying to avoid chains and I've had my eyes set on Gallaghers for years, after walking by the rear of their restuarant which was open to their dry aging room. Steaks galore! I'm still interested in Ben & Jack's Steakhouse -- supposedly a Peter Luger clone. Thanks again.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                  RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 6:17 PM (permalink)
                  A cab ride away, but Frank's, in the meatpacking district, is a longtime favorite (though I've not been there in a few years). One of the older restaurants in town & owned by descendants of the founders. Simple & fabulous food with an Italian overlay. They also have/had an excellent house brand cabernet that is produced by one of the best Long Island wineries.

Tony Bad

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Tue, 01/3/06 10:17 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by rjb

A cab ride away, but Frank's, in the meatpacking district, is a longtime favorite (though I've not been there in a few years). One of the older restaurants in town & owned by descendants of the founders. Simple & fabulous food with an Italian overlay. They also have/had an excellent house brand cabernet that is produced by one of the best Long Island wineries.

Frank's is very good. I have also had great meals at Mark Joseph down near Manhattan end of Brooklyn Bridge, but I have also have others tell me it was just okay. Not to belabor the point, but you can't go wrong with Sparks!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                      RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 12:15 PM (permalink)
                      Had lunch last week (2 people = $130 before tip) at Wolfgangs www.wolfgangssteakhouse.com run by former Maitre D' of Peter Luger, and most other employees are also from Luger. Have never been to Peter Luger so can't make my own comparison, but it was a good meal. Would love to hear how you compare the 2. It's at corner of E. 33rd and Park Avenue in a beautiful vaulted ceiling room.

Tony Bad

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 1:15 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by signman

Had lunch last week (2 people = $130 before tip) at Wolfgangs www.wolfgangssteakhouse.com run by former Maitre D' of Peter Luger, and most other employees are also from Luger. Have never been to Peter Luger so can't make my own comparison, but it was a good meal. Would love to hear how you compare the 2. It's at corner of E. 33rd and Park Avenue in a beautiful vaulted ceiling room.

I used to work at 2 Park (Wolfgangs is @ 4 Park) when that was the Vanderbilt Hotel. It truely is a beautiful building and gets points for that!

ak203

• Total Posts: 7
                          RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 7:29 PM (permalink)
                          I've been to -- Wolfgang's, Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Post House, Maloney & Procelli, Keen's, Bobby Van's, Peter Luger's.

They're all terrific, but my favorites are Wolfgang's, Smith-Wollensky, Maloney Porcelli, Keens, Post House. They all have very different atmosphere, etc. so it's so hard to say which without knowing the environment you like, but the food is always terrific.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                            RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 8:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by PaulBPool

Del Frisco's is a great spot for a "special" dinner. The steaks are just great, the appy's and sides are all well done, and the service is first rate.
                            It it not unusual to get a thank you note from your server a day or two after your visit - nice personal touch.
                            Pricy, yes, but worth it.
                            I'd be calling my bank after getting a thank you card from my server.Why would they have my mailing address? Just curious- why?

ak203

• Total Posts: 7
                              RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 8:33 PM (permalink)
                              Forgot to mention the Palm! Also have been to Gallagher's. Oddly enough, Luger's was the least interesting (to me) of all of them.

Trebor K

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 01/4/06 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                Is Tad's Steaks still around? Steak, baked potato and garlic bread for $6.99. Real road(kill)food, Times Square style.

Went back and checked. Still is around.
                                http://www.rieserestaurants.com/restaurants.asp?rest_id=1005[url][/url]

signman

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Thu, 01/5/06 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                  Tony, Yes that's a nice ceiling in Wolfgangs, but nothing in all of NYC tops the great Art Deco lobby of Two Park Ave.

Scallion1

• Total Posts: 418
                                    RE: Times Square Steakhouses Thu, 01/5/06 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Tony, Yes that's a nice ceiling in Wolfgangs, but nothing in all of NYC tops the great Art Deco lobby of Two Park Ave.

Let's not go flying off the rails here. You're surely entitled to your opinion, but to say that Two Park - and, yes, I've been in that lobby dozens of times - compares with the Woolworth Building, the Chrysler Building, the Library, the Frick, Grand Central, the old Tweed Courthouse, etc etc, just for starters, is a tough argument to make.

Here are a few interesting shots: http://www.fmsp.com/port_11a.htm

signman

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Thu, 01/5/06 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                      OK, so maybe I did fly off the rail a little bit. I had not been in that lobby for maybe 20 years and it was as impressive as ever.

Tony Bad

RE: Times Square Steakhouses Thu, 01/5/06 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Scallion1

quote:

Let's not go flying off the rails here. You're surely entitled to your opinion, but to say that Two Park - and, yes, I've been in that lobby dozens of times - compares with the Woolworth Building, the Chrysler Building, the Library, the Frick, Grand Central, the old Tweed Courthouse, etc etc, just for starters, is a tough argument to make.

Here are a few interesting shots: http://www.fmsp.com/port_11a.htm

I am surprised how many know or have been to the lobby of 2 park...it isn't really that big a landmark!...That said, I took signman's comments to mean that when pondering buildings in the art deco style, the lobby of 2 park is hard to beat. All the places you mention are indeed magnificent structures, but none...except the Chrysler Bldg, are a similar style...and the lobby of the Chrysler Bldg is not its most notable feature.

Sorry to have steered this away from steak!!

Getting it back on track...my REAL favorite for steak these days is just a #7 train ride away from Times Square. Get off at 82nd street in Jackson Heights and walk south to La Fusta.

http://www.lafustanewyork.com/

Bad web site but great food!!

amini1

• Total Posts: 49
                                          RE: Times Square Steakhouses Sun, 01/15/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                          Sparks is my favorite in NYC. Their very reasonably priced wine list is worth the trip. Wolfgangs has become very popular as has The Strip House. Del Friso's is good but the wine list is amongst the most expensive I've seen in the US. One thing you absolutely should do for lunch one day is go to McHale's on the NE corner of 46th and 8th. It will be closing down soon due to the condo-ization of all things great in NY. They have close to the best burgers in NYC. It's a complete dump from the outside(and inside for that matter).

If you like craft brewed beer, high-end scotch, bourbon, tequilla, etc., right across 8th Ave from McHale's is one of my favorite bars in NYC called Collins Bar.

ryandrew

• Total Posts: 2
                                            RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 02/15/06 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                            Aside fromLugers. These are all dry-aged new york strip bone in places that top the New York offerings.
                                            Sparks(posibly the best all around),
                                            Post House ( wonderful place, pricey like Sparks, Good to take a lady,
                                            Palm (very good but like most steak houses, waiters can get a little snooty or bitchy),
                                            Striphouse (great new place, neat envionment and atmophere very good food),
                                            Keens (very very good and oldest steakhouse in town),
                                            Old Homestead ( great old guard w/nice update standby awsome ribeye and prime rib),
                                            Delmonicos (really nice place usualy very relaxed yet formal great steak down town
                                            Smith and Wollensy(great aging process, nice peice of meat but service is hit or miss, maybe not the best but easy, fun and wont destroy the wallet)

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                                              RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 02/15/06 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by wallhd

Ben Benson's is also nearby. Maybe a 7 minute walk from your hotel... and well worth it too I might add.

Wally

I have to agree with Wally regarding Ben Benson's. Outside of Bern's in Tampa, it's the best steak I have had. And great portions of everything. You will not leave with any hunger remaining.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                                RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 02/15/06 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                                I see a lot of talk of Del Frisco's. Same steak that you get at their original concept, Lone Star? Or is really that much better? Or has just the atmosphere improved.

Burgermeister

• Total Posts: 73
                                                  • Location: Fairfield County, CT
                                                  RE: Times Square Steakhouses Wed, 02/15/06 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by ryandrew

Aside from Lugers, these are all dry-aged New York Strip Bone "in places" that top the New York offerings:

Sparks -- possibly the best all around

amini1

• Total Posts: 49
                                                    • Location: Missouri City, TX
                                                    RE: Times Square Steakhouses Thu, 02/16/06 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by renfrew

I see a lot of talk of Del Frisco's. Same steak that you get at their original concept, Lone Star? Or is really that much better? Or has just the atmosphere improved.

Del Frisco's is leagues above Lone Star. Del Frisco's was an independent, one location steakhouse many moons ago. I don't know when exactly Lone Star bought them but I believe they already had multiple locations. In the corporate structure of Lone Star, the hierarchy from bottom to top is as follows: Lone Star, Sullivan's, Del Frisco's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com