Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!!

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73
Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Mon, 01/9/06 4:25 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by linus

Malt loaf sliced thin and toasted.
and spotted dick with golden syrup.. drool!

Ok, I give up.. SPOTTED DICK?....

I just learned that this weekend.

I also learned that in England, a "fanny" is not one's backside. And it is very rude to ask a woman, after a horse ride, if her "fanny" is o.k. Though it may be an equally valid question.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
    RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Mon, 01/9/06 9:16 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Scorereader Posted - 01/09/2006 : 16:25:58
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

I also learned that in England, a "fanny" is not one's backside. And it is very rude to ask a woman, after a horse ride, if her "fanny" is o.k. Though it may be an equally valid question.

For all you people that think your being funny or cute..
    Spotted Dick! This is a delicious steamed sponge pudding with raisins that is a British schoolboy favorite

and ......... the above post by SCORERADER is anything but funny .it is vulgar
    I am sure that our new friend Old No.7 Brand and old friend Tedbear will be happy to enlighten our Monitors as to its meaning and removal .............. Frank C

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
      RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 8:44 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
      Scorereader Posted - 01/09/2006 : 16:25:58
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

quote:

For all you people that think your being funny or cute..
      Spotted Dick! This is a delicious steamed sponge pudding with raisins that is a British schoolboy favorite

and ......... the above post by SCORERADER is anything but funny .it is vulgar
      I am sure that our new friend Old No.7 Brand and old friend Tedbear will be happy to enlighten our Monitors as to its meaning and removal .............. Frank C

Lighten up, Frank. Ain't no big thing. pb

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 9:31 AM (permalink)
        I agree with Porkbeaks that this reference is not quite in the realm of being offensive enough to warrant its removal, mostly owing to the fact that most Americans will look at the "fanny" posting and scratch their heads in puzzlement.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I will clarify the issue, as Frank has requested. Of course, clarifying it will now serve to make it offensive to some, so I am not sure if I am accomplishing anything positive with this effort, but...

In England, the slang term Fanny is a reference to the female sexual organs, not to the posterior regions of the anatomy. If the moderators now choose to delete the "fanny" post, so be it, even though I believe that it can stand, as is.

Old No.7 Brand

• Total Posts: 26
          RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 10:47 AM (permalink)
          Besides, I already picked up on it and explained the Spotted Dick. No big deal, we also have "Fadges" and Baps", both kinds of Breadcake, but also names crudely associated with female parts.

Anyone who still finds it funny needs to grow up.

Nemis

• Total Posts: 186
            RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 11:41 AM (permalink)
            I love this thread!!
            Has anyone seen the DVD "CHEF!" starring Lenny Henry out by the BBC?? It was a TV series.
            It's SOO funny!!
            P.S thanks for the tip on a afternoon proper tea!!

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
              RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 11:55 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Just finished reading a couple of Jack Higgins' books and in them he mentions bacon sandwichs quite often. It would appear that is what the British armed forces lived on during WW2. Because I love bacon and had not had a bacon sandwich in many, many years I was forced to buy a loaf of bread a make one. It was great. Got me to thinking about British food, or the lack thereof.

In one of the books Higgins (or is it 'iggins) quotes Somerset Maugham, who said something like "if you want to have 3 good meals a day in England you must eat three breakfasts".

I have found some good English food like --- fish and chips, Sheppard Pie, bangers and mashed, but not much in the way of fine dining. Other than Kean's Chop House in NYC I can not recall another good restaurant, their mutton chops were super.

How is the food across the pond ?????? I have never been there, am I missing anything? And is Kean's the one and only ???

I found the information about the British Army living on Bacon during World War II, very interestering! I would of never guessed this, for some reason I didn't realized that England was a big producer of pork and it would take a lot of pork, to have enough Bacon to feed the British Army.

Thanks for the information!!!!!!!!

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 12:20 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Nemis

Has anyone seen the DVD "CHEF!" starring Lenny Henry out by the BBC??
                That was a great series. Loved the Stilton cheese episode...

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                  RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Tue, 01/10/06 12:44 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Tedbear Posted - 01/10/2006 : 09:31:45

I agree with Porkbeaks that this reference is not quite in the realm of being offensive

I apologized for sticking my nose into where it didn't belong ...................

Cornbread

• Total Posts: 53
                    RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Sat, 03/18/06 6:36 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

Tedbear Yes, I agree with your post. As far as the chocolate, I admit it's no doubt because I grew up eating it. You know, a childhood comfort type thing..
                    I was also thinking too, in support of your statements food has changed here too from the fifties and sixties, just go to the gallery of regretable food and see what we americans use to eat!

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Linus: Thank you for that link!! I can't remember a time that I laughed so hard. The author is riot with his captions.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                      RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Mon, 03/20/06 6:28 AM (permalink)
                      "Spotted Dick?" Um, I think I won't be having that. Now, "Toad In The Hole", "Yorkshire Pudding", "Fish and Chips" YES!

Andrea

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                        RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Mon, 03/20/06 9:25 AM (permalink)
                        Pardon me but after having been a international road warrior for many years, NO ONE but the Brits want British food. Beans for breakfast?

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                          RE: English Food, old boy !!!!!!!!! Wed, 03/22/06 12:40 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by V960

Pardon me but after having been a international road warrior for many years, NO ONE but the Brits want British food. Beans for breakfast?

Can't say that I agree. I'm not a Brit, and I very much enjoyed the British food we had in England a couple years back-- including baked beans for breakfast! While my arteries didn't thank me, I rather liked starting the day with hot tea, toast with several varieties of homemade jam, sausages, fried tomatoes, bacon, eggs and baked beans.

Then there's the wonderful Cornish pasty, warm and flaky pastry on the outside and various wonderful fillings, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam, fish and chips, etc. Even the sandwiches were great: prawn salad, multigrain bread and good aged cheddar... Delicious!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 73 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com