The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Navy Bean soup like Campbell's

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Wed, 01/11/06 11:12 PM (permalink)
Anyone have a good recipe? I love Campbell's bean with bacon, and try as I may to duplicate it, nothing I do succeeds. I love the creamy comforting texture. My beans always seem a bit crunchy and I never get the flavors right. I do not add salt in the beginning, because I have learned that is wrong. I tried to find copy cat recipes, to no avail. Any suggestions. I love to make green split pea soup, and black bean soups, but this has me stymied. Help !?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Wed, 01/11/06 11:51 PM (permalink)
    I've come close... Trick is the amount of tomato paste ya add..

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
      RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 9:42 AM (permalink)
      How do you soak your beans? Do you also use a smoked ham hock? They add artificial smoke flavor you know.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
        RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 9:57 AM (permalink)
        White Bean and Ham Soup

1 lb of white beans - Canellini or Great Northern
        2 quarts of water
        2-3 lbs of smoked ham shanks (preferred to ham hocks because the shanks have more meat),
        each shank cut into 2 or 3 sections
        1 cup of diced onions
        1 cup chopped celery
        2/3 cup chopped carrots
        2 cloves garlic, diced
        Tabasco sauce
        Salt and pepper
        Herbes de Provence
        Fresh parsley

Soak the beans in at least 2 quarts of cold water for about 2 hrs. Drain the water.

Put the ham shank pieces in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about an hour. Add the chopped vegetables and beans. Cook for another hour, until the vegetables are soft and the ham meat easily pulls away from the bone.

Add several drops of Tabasco to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of herbes de Provence. Serve with a pinch of chopped fresh parsley.

Serves 8.

Hearty Winter Soup

1 lb green split peas
        1 cup of barley
        8 cups of water
        2 lbs of ham hocks (preferably with as much meat as possible)
        4 cloves of garlic, chopped
        2 onions, diced
        2 cups of chopped celery, with tops
        2 cups of carrots, chopped
        2 tsp cumin
        2 tsp oregano
        2 tsp cayenne pepper
        four medium potatoes, quartered
        salt and pepper
        a big ass pot

Rinse and sort the peas and barley, add to the water, and bring to a boil. Then turn off the heat and let sit for 1/2 hour while you prep the other ingredients. You could add the ham hocks now if you want, but score them first. I would have preferred to use a ham bone, with lots of meat left on it for this soup, but smoked ham hocks are cheap, and add the flavor you're looking for.

After the peas and barley have soaked for a bit, throw in everything but the potatoes and simmer for an hour, skimming off the foam once in awhile, then throw in the potatoes and simmer for another hour.

Pull out the ham hocks, putting whatever meat is on them back into the pot. With a piece of good bread, a bowl of this stuff is an entire meal.

Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 lb. Black Beans, Dried
        1 cup Onions, shredded
        1 cup Carrots, shredded
        1 cup Celery, shredded
        1 cup Potatoes, shredded
        2 or 3 Garlic Cloves, shredded
        1 Bay Leaf, large
        1 tsp. Oregano, dried
        1/8 - 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, powder
        3 tbsp. Lemon Juice
        1/2 - 1 Lemon, cut lengthwise and sliced thin
        5 cups Water

Preparation

Rinse the dried Black Beans in a strainer and remove any stones. Place in a covered electric crock pot (slow cooker). Add 2 cups of boiling water, cover, and set crock pot on "High". Add the Bay leaf and Oregano. After the beans begin to swell add an additional 2 cups of boiling water. When the beans become tender (5-6 hours), add the shredded vegetables, Cayenne Pepper, and 1 additional cup of boiling water. Cook for another hour and taste the soup for flavor and texture. Continue cooking if necessary.

When the soup is ready to eat, add the Lemon Juice and thinly sliced Lemons and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the Lemon slices begin to soften.

Serve and enjoy!

Note: The combination of the Lemon and Hot Pepper is an excellent salt substitute; thus, salt is not included salt in the ingredients list. If someone desires salt, it can be added at the table.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 12:57 PM (permalink)
          If you like Campbell's, why not just eat Campbells? I do (but I "doctor" it with ketchup). I also make my own bean soup from time to time, but I don't expect it to taste like a commercial canned product.

Adjudicator

RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 1:02 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by BT

If you like Campbell's, why not just eat Campbells? I do (but I "doctor" it with ketchup). I also make my own bean soup from time to time, but I don't expect it to taste like a commercial canned product.

Redundant post?

BT

RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
              Originally posted by BT

Redundant post?

What are you saying? That you don't like my asking a perfectly reasonable question to which I'd like a reasonable answer, criticism by self-appointed censors aside?

Then I shall elaborate. We have often discussed here how to duplicate hard-to-obtain or no-longer-made commercial products. But Campbell's soup is certainly easy to get and, if you like it, much easier to prepare than making soup from scratch. I'm wondering why anybody would bother to make it from scratch if the objective is to duplicate what comes easily from the can (no criticism for liking what comes from the can implied).

Adjudicator

RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 3:21 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:
                Originally posted by BT

Redundant post?

What are you saying? That you don't like my asking a perfectly reasonable question to which I'd like a reasonable answer, criticism by self-appointed censors aside?

Then I shall elaborate. We have often discussed here how to duplicate hard-to-obtain or no-longer-made commercial products. But Campbell's soup is certainly easy to get and, if you like it, much easier to prepare than making soup from scratch. I'm wondering why anybody would bother to make it from scratch if the objective is to duplicate what comes easily from the can (no criticism for liking what comes from the can implied).

Sheesh.

My WHOLE point was to why buy a commercial CANNED soup when it is SO EASY to make a fresh product.

BT

RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 5:13 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

My WHOLE point was to why buy a commercial CANNED soup when it is SO EASY to make a fresh product.

But it is evidently NOT easy to make a fresh product that satisfies like the canned product (else why would morningglory have needed to ask) and opening a can has got to be the easiest way to get soup that tastes like mg wants. I'm still wondering, therefore, why not just eat Campbell's. As I said, I do even though I make fresh soup that tastes like fresh soup all the time. Not everything commercial or canned is bad.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
                    RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 6:11 PM (permalink)
                    BT,

That is a good question. I followed a Julia Child recipe for beans that sounded great, salt pork cubes, tomato paste, etc. The end resut was very good, but I swear it tasted like canned pork and beans! Well...ok.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                      RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/22/06 7:09 PM (permalink)
                      I think the canned taste's just fine....

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                        RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Wed, 01/25/06 9:32 AM (permalink)
                        Might want to do a search for the Senate Bean Soup which is required by law to be served every day in the Senate dining room. Guess it was a slow day the day they passed that law.

morningglory

• Total Posts: 559
                          RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Wed, 01/25/06 10:04 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:
                          Originally posted by BT

Redundant post?

To answer your question, I love Campbell's, but always thought a good home made soup could even be better,but I have never mastered it. I make a great green pea soup, and black bean and would never buy those in a can, for that reason. So, my pantry will continue to have the soup that I have enjoyed since being a child.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                            RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sat, 01/28/06 10:17 PM (permalink)

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                              RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/29/06 12:35 PM (permalink)
                              The beans need to be cooked to within an inch of their lives, and addd the tomato product last, because that is what causes the beans not to get tender. Salt has nothing to do with it. The acid in the tomatoes causes the chemical reaction you don't want to get.

Adjudicator

RE: Navy Bean soup like Campbell's Sun, 01/29/06 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                Enough bean soup stuff. Let's now talk about Red Beans & Rice...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com