Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2006/01/20 16:13:53 (permalink)

Soup Nazi on TV

I'm sorry I missed this one!

quote:

Interview with soup man doesn't go down well

Friday, January 20th, 2006

WNYW/Ch. 5's Anne Craig had her hands full Wednesday while broadcasting live from the new soup shop owned by Al Yeganeh, who inspired "Seinfeld's" Soup Nazi character.

The "Good Day New York" interview, if we can call it that, ended with the soup seller calling Craig some ugly words.

Yeganeh, known as much for his gruff personality as his lobster bisque, got brusque with Craig when she ventured behind the counter.

"You should know you can't touch this food," he said.

From there, it went downhill.

In Yeganeh's defense, Craig also looked like she was trying to stir the controversy pot.

"Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the soup bowl this morning?" she asked him.

Later, she uttered the words "Soup Nazi," which brought the already simmering soup man to a full boil.

"I'm going to be rude to you because you have no brains, lady," he told Craig. "You stupid, idiot b-."

Craig turned to the camera and covered her mouth, while Yeganeh continued to blow. Though the audio wasn't heard, it was clear he used the F-word.

Now Craig fan Erwin Michael Green wants people to boycott the soup shop.

"I was so appalled at how someone could be so callous and rude to not just anyone but to someone who is a professional and classy individual and also a woman," he explained in an E-mail.

While the incident created a few moments of exciting TV, one can't help but wonder if Craig didn't help escalate a bad situation. And, if it was clear the segment was going south, fast, why keep going back live?

Just asking.

New York Daily News © 2006

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1