The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Other places in Owensboro, Ky

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
Other places in Owensboro, Ky Thu, 02/2/06 9:44 AM (permalink)
A post from a Chicago forum:
http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6971

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
    RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Thu, 02/2/06 10:50 AM (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing, kland01s. Great photos. That "For Sale" sign has been in front of the Shady Rest in Owensboro for a couple of years. When I inquired, I was told that they weren't going to sell it to just anyone. Whoever buys it can't change the way they prepare their recipes. I hope that's true. I've been eating here for over 30 years, and it's always remained the same.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Tue, 07/10/07 5:16 PM (permalink)
      Looks like this will bump this thread back to Life !! Today (7/10) We took a ride down to Rough River Lake and Beaver Dam KY. We wanted to sample the food at the Beaver Dam Cafeand give the dogs a swim in the lake. Well they swam, but the Cafe was closed, with a large For Sale Sign in the window. So that ended that plan.

As we drove up US 231 to Owensboro on our way home we stopped at a couple of veggie stands along the road and bought a couple of dozen ears of "Peaches and Creme" and "Spectacular" Sweet Corn, and a couple of Cantalopes to bring home. We thought we would try the Old Hickory BBQ in Owensboro, after hearing so much about it being better than the Moonlite. We stopped there and picked up a couple of pounds of very well trimmed Mutton Ribs. a pound of sliced Pork Shoulder, and a BBQ'd chicken w/ a pint of their BBQ Sauce.(Total cost $26.00). We brought this home and tried everything. Outstanding BBQ. Next time we are in Owensboro we will make time to 'dine-in' at the Old Hickory BBQ. The take-out meat is really good.We would have dined-in today, but it was quite warm and we didn't want to leave the pooches out in the heat.

One fine point that we liked. After the lady sliced the Pork off the shoulder, she went thru each piece and cut off the large fat areas. That meant we got a lot more lean pork for our money !! A Nice Touch. The Mutton Ribs are not gamey at all. They have a lot of flavor and give a good chew, but the result is sooooo good.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
        RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Tue, 07/10/07 10:05 PM (permalink)
        How close to Owensboro do you have to be to find mutton bbq? I'm in
        Kentucky a few times a year, but I've never made it west of Louisvile.

I would also be interested if mutton bbq is worth the drive from Louisville.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Tue, 07/10/07 10:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Robearjr

How close to Owensboro do you have to be to find mutton bbq? I'm in
          Kentucky a few times a year, but I've never made it west of Louisvile.

I would also be interested if mutton bbq is worth the drive from Louisville.

You can actually find it in Louisville

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=122

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
            RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Wed, 07/11/07 10:48 AM (permalink)
            Other than Moonlite, Old Hickory Pit and George's Bar-B-Q on U.S. 60 (the latter on the one-way part of the street going west) are probably the only two other good barbecue places in Owensboro. They have been overlooked in the past, but because Moonlite seems to be de-emphasizing the quality of their barbecue in favor of their overall food bar, these two places are well worth checking out.

Seems like wanderingjew has given me a good reason to drive east.

But to answer Robearjr's question, as best as I can tell, at the moment the barbecue mutton belt extends as far west of Owensboro as Waverly, Kentucky, just before you get to Morganfield, Kentucky on U.S. 60. After that you mainly run into pork country.

At the moment (7-11-07), that belt doesn't extend any farther than Henderson because Peak Bros. Bar-B-Q in Waverly has still not been rebuilt yet after their November 2005 fire--although they have plans to do so soon.

In Henderson, you can try barbecue mutton at J&B Bar-B-Q (Washington Street), Thomason's (Atkinson Street), Gene's (Green Street) and Ralph's (Green Street). It's not as good as Owensboro's barbecue, but it will do if you are really hungry and not too picky.

Dan Wathen

• Total Posts: 13
              RE: Other places in Owensboro, Ky Fri, 07/20/07 12:24 PM (permalink)
              I grew up in Morganfield, KY and was weaned on Peak Bros. Bar-B-Q in nearby Waverly, KY. Their chipped (chopped, shredded) mutton is the best. I would rate the Old Hickory Inn in Owensboro a close second. Hopefully they will re-open in the near future. Mutton is the hallmark of W. KY Bar-B-Q. Cooked low and slow (12-20 hours) over hickory. The sauce (dip) is similar to E. carolian sauce ( vinegar, cayanne pepper, salt, sugar,garlic). The chipped mutton is soaked in the dip. Food of the gods.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com