The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Crab Fries

Squidly

• Total Posts: 64
Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 9:43 AM (permalink)
Hi, I've been lurking here for quite a while and have really enjoyed the postings. Most of the things I enjoy or am interested in are covered in depth but I recently heard of a dish that intrigued me. There seems to be little web info on Crab Fries. There is a place in Philadelphis named Chickie and Pete's that has made them locally famous and they seem to be popular in the Mid-Atlantic region but there isn't much in the way of recipes. From what I can gather the basic recipe is french fries topped with Old Bay seasoned crab meat, some sort of cheese on top, then broiled until the cheese melts. What do y'all know?

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
    RE: Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 9:52 AM (permalink)
    Shucks! I was hoping for something on the order of lamb, rooster, or bull fries.

Anyhow, I haven't heard of the kind of crab fries you mentioned, either. Good luck with your quest.

Squidly

RE: Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 3:27 PM (permalink)
      Boy it would take a lot of crabs for the fries you are talking about!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 4:10 PM (permalink)
        There's no crab meat on crab fries; just the Old Bay seasoning mix. Cheese is usually the cheez whiz variety served on the side for dipping.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
          RE: Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 4:18 PM (permalink)
          Googling around, it looks like crab fries can be an assortment of different appetizers.
          http://www.burhansstation.com/menuDetail.asp?id=3

http://www.chesapeakeinn.com/deck_menu.html

So, just what the heck is a crab fry?

roossy90

RE: Crab Fries Thu, 02/9/06 4:20 PM (permalink)
            Cheese Crab Fries
            Ingredients:
            1 bag of French Fries
            1 block of cheese (Provolone or Jack)
            1 lb. of backfin crabmeat
            Instructions:
            Fry the bag of French Fries.
            Pour the fries onto a baking tray.
            Sprinkle crabmeat over the fries.
            Shred the cheese over the entire dish.
            Bake until the cheese is well melted.
            Then serve to your roomful of Raven Fanatics. --Jack Girod, Eldersburg
            saw that from the Baltimore sun provided by readers..

Squidly

RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 3:52 PM (permalink)
              Thanks for the replies. When I googled, the different restaurant menus I got had me guess both with and w/o the crab depending on the price of the appetizer but there were no descriptors for the dish. I did get the B-Sun hit but that recipe looked a bit simplistic and had no Old Bay.

Since the weather's too crummy for golf, I'll try it this weekend based on the restaurant descriptors and watch the Pro-Am.

roossy90 - You have strong google-fu. I bet I have tried variations on "crab fries" half a dozen times and didn't get either of those restaurants.

txtwister

• Total Posts: 259
                RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 4:22 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Squidly

You have strong google-fu. I bet I have tried variations on "crab fries" half a dozen times and didn't get either of those restaurants.

LOL! Love that.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                  RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 4:31 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by CheeseWit

There's no crab meat on crab fries; just the Old Bay seasoning mix. Cheese is usually the cheez whiz variety served on the side for dipping.

Err....I find it more than a little odd that "crab fries" has no crab in it. That'd be like getting a cheese steak and finding it had no cheese. or no steak.

What's next?

Hot dogs with no dog in them?

Mountain oysters with no oysters in them?

Sweetbreads without any bread?

Monkey bread without any monkey in it?

Shoo Fly Pie without shoes and/or flies in it?

I mean....come on!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                    RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 7:07 PM (permalink)
                    Girl Scout cookies with no girl scout in them?

Squidly

RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
                      Eskimo Pies?

Canadian Bacon???

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                        RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 9:08 PM (permalink)
                        I can't help wondering why anyone would want to waste good crab by putting on top of fries and topping it with melted cheese.

Squidly

RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 10:14 PM (permalink)
                          Life is short. I'll try almost anything once. If it doesn't work I move on.

Mike Anderson's in Baton Rouge/New Orleans sells a lot of Crabmeat Au Gratin and his is nowhere near the best.

Why do people take 140 dollar/oz Beluga Malossol caviar and dump it on toast points with a mother-of-pearl spoon? Because it works. The cheap toast is a basically flavorless vehicle that provides a complimentary texture. Maybe fries will do the same for the crabmeat and cheese.

roossy90

RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 11:09 PM (permalink)
                            I am the queen of google-fu.. I am tenacious!

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                              RE: Crab Fries Fri, 02/10/06 11:20 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Squidly Posted - 02/10/2006 : 22:14:17
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Anderson's in Baton Rouge/New Orleans sells a lot of Crabmeat Au Gratin and his is nowhere near the best.

Why do people take 140 dollar/oz Beluga Malossol caviar and dump it on toast points with a mother-of-pearl spoon? Because it works. The cheap toast is a basically flavorless vehicle that provides a complimentary texture. Maybe fries will do the same for the crabmeat and cheese.

your so right Squidly ................. as you so correctly stated "a flavorless vehicle that provides a complimentary texture" that's the idea of a lot of foods that contain such a delicate flavor that one would not want to disturb that flavor.
                              I live in a part of this county where we are fortunate to have a abundance of Dungeness Crab. We have it served a lot of ways but always it's the delicate crab that is the predominant taste. Last week I "field striped" a cooked 2 1/2 lbs. crab that give me about a little over a pound of meat. I then melted a 1/2 lb. of butter in a sauce pan, I placed the crab meat into the butter just for a minute to heat the crab, then pored the butter and crab over a pound of freshly cooked angle hair pasta. Lightly tossed, sprinkled with parsley and served immediately, along with sourdough bread ..... my gal had a white wine and I had a non-alcohol beer.
                              The next crab I will definitely try the french fried potatoes as a base for my buttered crab meat. I will omit the cheese though for our deep cold water crab is to delicate tasting to cover with cheese. Unlike your warm and shallow water Chesapeake Bay crab which has a more fishy taste and can use all the help it can get ..... lol Thanks for the great idea........... we just might start something new here on the West Coast.

Discloser:.............. I do love Chesapeake Bay crab cakes

Michael Hoffman

RE: Crab Fries Sat, 02/11/06 12:04 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

I've never understood that bit of toast-point silliness. It's my spoon and I don't need a place to put my fish eggs before they get to my mouth.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                  RE: Crab Fries Sat, 02/11/06 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                  ah, but then thre's that whole beauty and the eye (or tongue?) of the beholder thing, MH

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                    RE: Crab Fries Sun, 02/12/06 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                    Sounds like a waste of crab to me.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
                                      RE: Crab Fries Mon, 02/13/06 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Ahh, excellent idea! I think I'll get some beluga caviar, and put it on some Ore-Ida Crinkle-Cuts. Then cheese on top of that! Where d'ya get them pearl spoons?

Elecid

• Total Posts: 4
                                        RE: Crab Fries Tue, 02/21/06 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                        I think that perhaps the term "crab fries" means very little specific. A "fry" is a small fish (and often used for shellfish as well). Crab farmers refer to their baby crabs as "crab fries", just like shrimp farmers refer to their baby shrimp as "shrimp fries". There is a big business in the selling & cultivation of both.

So restaurants pick up the obvious pun and put french fries with crab or shrimp. Also, shrimp fries are mass-produced by an asian snack company and sold in stores everywhere. They basically just have shrimp seasoning. I've never seen bagged crab fries, but hey, i'll bet they're out there.

It's true, however, that most people figure that if it has it in the name, it better have it in the dish. I tend to agree, and find the idea of french fries with crab to be most appealing. I doubt, however, that a french fry would be as effective as a flavorless medium to bring out the taste of the crab. I would bet more that it complements the flavor with its saltiness (either from cheese or actual salt). I wouldn't want to put the best dungeness crab on these things. Just my 2 cents, and i could be completely wrong, having never experienced them myself.

teddybear513

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Crab Fries Sat, 10/20/07 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                          I was looking for the recipe for crab fries myself! My fiance and I go to Chickie and Pete's all the time because we are right across the river from Philadelphia. I can assure you that there is no crab meat on their crab fries. It is old bay and I think that the cheese is some version of a melted american cheese.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                                            RE: Crab Fries Sat, 10/20/07 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Err....I find it more than a little odd that "crab fries" has no crab in it. That'd be like getting a cheese steak and finding it had no cheese. or no steak.

Ever had plum pudding?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Crab Fries Sat, 10/20/07 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by EdSails

quote:
                                              Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Ever had plum pudding?

No. But I've had Pepper Pot soup, and I never was able to find a pepper pot in it.

eatingteam

• Total Posts: 186
                                                RE: Crab Fries Tue, 11/6/07 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                "Crab Fries" are crinkle french fries served in a big cup smothered with an old bay type seasoning. On the side is melted American cheese for dipping. These are made by a lot of places in the area but the most noted are "CHICKIE'S AND PETE'S" They are sold at Philadelphia sporting events / concerts as well as the bar located in Northeast and South Philly.

These are very, very good and addicting. I would recommend anyone that has a chance to try these to do so...Just get a large drink with it(salty).

Tony

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
                                                  RE: Crab Fries Wed, 11/7/07 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  how about Utz Crab Chips and some Nacho Cheese?

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
                                                    • Location: Indianapolis, IN
                                                    RE: Crab Fries Wed, 11/7/07 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sounds like a decadent version of poutine....as if poutine could get any more decadent.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                                      • Location: Wilmington, DE
                                                      RE: Crab Fries Thu, 11/8/07 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                                      Crab fries are just french fries sprinkled with old bay seasoning. Herr's make a old bay potato chip which are quite tasty.

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                                        RE: Crab Fries Wed, 01/16/08 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        There is no crab on the fries-they are seasoned with the same seasoning as there crabs. They are served with this strange cheese sauce that never becomes soilid. Chickie and Petes is famous for there crab fries. They sell them at Eagles/Phillies/flyers/and Sixer games.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com