The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Steak 'n Shake?????????

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3305
Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 8:17 PM (permalink)
How on EARTH is Steak 'n Shake considered "Roadfood" enough to be featured on the home page??????? It's a chain, and a pretty bad one (other than their milkshakes). Fast food, drive-thru...chain.

First time I've been disappointed in a featured location.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
    RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 8:29 PM (permalink)
    Maybe you should have posted this under the FFF column above this one?
    BTW, I think their chili is good.

felix4067

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 9:00 PM (permalink)
      I thought about posting there...but then obviously the site admins don't think it's fast food, so why should I? .

And yeah, their chili is ok...if it's 3am and you want chili (and don't mind chili with beans) and they're the only thing open. The rest of their food is nothing to write home about.

The most amazing thing to me is it's rated "worth driving 26 miles"! I rarely eat there, and there's one less than two miles from my house, on my way home.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 9:24 PM (permalink)

Speaking as an individual member not and Admin for a minute. I really think it is a matter of individual taste for what is classified as what on the site. I have yet to see any of the upscale steakhouses treated as "Chains" by anyone here...
        We have a bunch of S n S in this area. I seldom go to any of them. No particular reason, I just don't. I do like their FRISCO MELT sandwich, but I do not care for the Fries they serve ( shoe-string cut). Since we now have a Culver's nearby, I tend to go there when I am in the burger/tenderloin sandwich mood. Bushie is addicted to the SnS Chili.

roossy90

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 9:46 PM (permalink)
          I like chili with beans, yes, I said it!

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
            RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 10:07 PM (permalink)
            Heck, why not have a chain on the front page? Many of the members are hooking up to eat at a freaking buffet this month...boo

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
              RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Mon, 02/13/06 11:16 PM (permalink)
              I think it's GREAT to have SnS as a featured restaurant!

And, Edge, although I agree with you most of the time, to HELL with your opinion! The Moonlite is yummy.

And, on a final note, Holly Moore, who knows more about good food on the road than most of the self-righteous pr*cks on this site and that "other site" combined, considers SnS and Waffle House and White Castle to be roadfood.

Bushie considers all those places to be good, too.

So there.

Theedge

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 9:07 AM (permalink)
                hah! I love it.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                  RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
                  I ate at the Steak and Shake in Mishiwaka, Indiana a couple years ago while on a midwestern baseball tour. It was better than the national chains and got us fed with decent grub quickly and efficiently. Not as good as Burgeville or IN N OUT but I was well satisfied. Nice to know about the place.

Sundancer7

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 9:24 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Theedge

Heck, why not have a chain on the front page? Many of the members are hooking up to eat at a freaking buffet this month...boo

Moonlite is not a chain. It has been personally endorsed by The Mayor, Bushie and myself. I am not the best but I certainly enjoyed their menu.

Theedge, I suggest you try this place before you slam it. It is a huge, clean place and the BBQ was very good. We would not be meeting there if it was not what the group wanted. We expect 30 folks to be there. I agree that it is a buffet but they have another section where you can get what you want.

I have done that before and I ordered a pulled pork sandwich and a mutton sandwich. Personally I am not a mutton fan and I will not get that but the place is very nice. I have never heard a bad report of the Moonlite.

Thanks to "The Mayor" for his suggestion on this location. We have done Hays in Lexington, TN for the last couple of years. It is wonderful. The only reason we changed locations is to encourage more Roadfood people to attend as it is more easily accessible.

Paul E. smith
                    knoxville, TN

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                      RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 9:44 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Bushie

Holly Moore, who knows more about good food on the road than most of the self-righteous pr*cks on this site and that "other site" combined, considers SnS and Waffle House and White Castle to be roadfood.

Bushie considers all those places to be good, too.

You're right about Holly, of course - and I wish he'd update his site, it's been 8 months since the most recent update - but on this site, Waffle House threads are relegated to the FFF while Steak n Shake threads are not. So the RF editorial policy would appear to disagree with Holly's (and your, and my) stance.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                        RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 9:51 AM (permalink)
                        Just a quick personal note. I liked eating at Krystal's when I was in Tennessee because it was new to me and it gave me a flavor for what folks like in the south. Ditto with Waffle House( forgive me,Scorereader). I appreciate the opportunity to talk about these places on this site.

felix4067

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 10:44 AM (permalink)
                          I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be able to talk about them, and I eat at chains a LOT, so I'm not being self-righteous or anything else. I'm just thinking that a chain shouldn't be a featured location on the home page. Maybe it's their stores in Michigan, but I've never been impressed by anything other than their milkshakes, and quite frankly would rather have a burger from Burger King than anything they serve, plus the fact that their prices are ridiculously high for what you get (I can't remember the last time I paid just shy of ten bucks for a "value" meal anywhere else).

It just doesn't say "Roadfood" to me when it's a chain over several states.

TJ Jackson

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 11:10 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by felix4067

In-n-Out is also reviewed on this website
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1647

and so is the Original Pancake House
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1501

and so is Five Guys
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1092

as well as Nathan's
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1352

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                              RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 11:46 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
                              Originally posted by felix4067

In-n-Out is also reviewed on this website
                              http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1647

and so is the Original Pancake House
                              http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1501

and so is Five Guys
                              http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1092

as well as Nathan's
                              http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1352

But not Waffle House! ha!

TJ Jackson

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                *shrug*

neither are a number of better quality chains

I will say about Waffle House: Mr Stern is on record as really liking their hash browns.

Scorereader

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                  I was kidding of course.
                                  As my disdain for Waffle House is well documented, I thought the post gave me an open window for a humorous jab.

I know there are plenty of WH lover's out there.
                                  I have my "bad" places too. And, ironically, I did like my two visits to steak-n-shake on Wendover Avenue in Greensboro, NC. It is the only s-n-s I've been to.

Theedge

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                    Sundancer, I was just having a bit of fun. I'm sure the food is very good.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                      RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                      Scorereader,
                                      Greensboro and the local areas (Burlington, W/S, and Graham) have the WORST WH's on the planet. Don't know why but they are terrible if not dangerous. The SnS in Burlington is a fav of mine when coming back fro Virginia. I get a bit of something, a few bags of feed for my livestock at the Tractor Supply nearby and hit the road.

Extreme Glow

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                        Roadfood is in the eye (and stomach) of the beholder.

It just so happens that all of you are wrong anyway.

roossy90

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                          I still like SNS chili, even if it has beans!

Sundancer7

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Tue, 02/14/06 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Theedge

Sundancer, I was just having a bit of fun. I'm sure the food is very good.

No problem and I wish you were there to meet with us.

Paul E. smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                                              RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Thu, 02/16/06 2:20 AM (permalink)
                                              I'm with Al-The-Mayor, the SnS fries are awful and thats why I wont go back. The burgers are just passable and the prices do seem to be high. I've never tried the chili, but I also like chili with beans so i'm sure it would be edible.

TJ Jackson

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Thu, 02/16/06 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                                SnS is for me an alternative to WC at after midnight hours

Since they're open 24 hours a day, in those few occasions where I am out and about and hungry at 2am, SnS is one of the few places other than WC where I can still get a takeout.

So despite the admittedly high prices, I'll venture there 1-2 times a year.

Scorereader

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Thu, 02/16/06 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by V960

Scorereader,
                                                  Greensboro and the local areas (Burlington, W/S, and Graham) have the WORST WH's on the planet. Don't know why but they are terrible if not dangerous.

thank you! this is what I've been saying!
                                                  They were bad. I think I listed the ones I went to in another post.
                                                  Thanks for the validation. It was a long time coming.

Are the WH's in DC metro area any better? If so, which one's? I'd be willing to compare and give WH one last try. Although, I have my reservations that it will be better than the DC area's Silver Diner. But if someone knows of one (1) WH in this area that stands above the others, I'd be willing to give it the ol' college try. As leary as I am.

roossy90

RE: Steak 'n Shake????????? Thu, 02/16/06 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by V960

Scorereader,
                                                    Greensboro and the local areas (Burlington, W/S, and Graham) have the WORST WH's on the planet. Don't know why but they are terrible if not dangerous.

thank you! this is what I've been saying!
                                                    They were bad. I think I listed the ones I went to in another post.
                                                    Thanks for the validation. It was a long time coming.

Are the WH's in DC metro area any better? If so, which one's? I'd be willing to compare and give WH one last try. Although, I have my reservations that it will be better than the DC area's Silver Diner. But if someone knows of one (1) WH in this area that stands above the others, I'd be willing to give it the ol' college try. As leary as I am.

Add this to the "WH-One's to Avoid" list.
                                                    *Cocoa Beach, FL.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com