The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Stinco

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
Stinco Tue, 02/14/06 2:56 PM (permalink)
I had the most incredible meal last week in Tucson...a place called Torino's in Oro Valley...at the bottom of the menu was an entree..called Stinco Basciolle (not sure of the second word)...but in essence...it was a roasted pork shank in an almost hunter sauce..with tons of mushrooms...ok..definitely not Road food...but it was wonderful...presentation was cool...served in a shallow bowl with the shank standing vertically...tons of meat left to gnaw on next day...for me...and the bone for the dog....I had no idea what to expect when I ordered it...did it purely on the name...still has me laughing...my folks too...gotta love the stinc....

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Stinco Tue, 02/14/06 5:33 PM (permalink)
    Thats Shinbone in Italian and basilico is basil sounds great. Ciao Chow Jim

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
      RE: Stinco Tue, 02/14/06 6:31 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by LindaW
      [brstill has me laughing...my folks too...gotta love the stinc....

You think that's funny; I Googled "stinco" and found this recipe for braised pork shank in Italian and let my browser translate it. Here's the result:

quote:
      Stinco of pig

Difficulty: Average
      Time: 2 hours and average
      Ingredients: Stinchi of pig
      Spezie for meat
      Onion
      Oil
      Wine white man

In one able pot to pressure fairies soffritto with oil and a onion. You add a little wine white man, stinchi of pig and the fairies to rosolare to alive fire for some minute. You add of the other wine white man, approximately average liter, and a po' of the condimento for meat that your butcher of confidence avra' supplied to you with to the stinchi. You close the pot and makes it you to go to pressure for 30-40 minuteren.

You remove hour the stinchi from the pot and disponeteli in a teglia from furnace bathing them with the gravy remained on the bottom of the pot, that you will have frullato with a mixer to immersion. You add of the other condimento for meat and metteteli in furnace for approximately 1 hour and average - two to 180 degrees turning them every so often and bathing them with the gravy remained in the pot.

Served accompanying with a good corposo wine red, in a position to melting the massicia dose of cholesterol that you will go to ingest. As contour will go the crauti very well or the potatoes that you can cook to the furnace to the end for approximately half hour with to the stinchi same.

This prescription is lend very well also for the surgelazione. In such case it convene to before leave stinchi po' behind of baking, removing them from furnace 15-20 minuteren and, after to have very made them to cool, to put them in vaschette watertight with to their gravy of baking. The stinchi thus it manifactures to you can be it deeps freeze to you and it uses you in according to time after to have them scongelati and after one short baking of approximately a quarter of hour.

All I can say is Whhhaaaatttt?

Eventually, though, I found a recipe in English that sounds SUPER:

quote:
      Taste of Elegance Chefs Contest Winning Recipe

1st place - Pork Osso Buco
      Chef Anthony G. Hanslits, Tavola Di ToSa Ristorante, Indianapolis

Ingredients:
      1 onion, finely chopped
      1/2 cup butter
      4 pork shanks (2-1/2 to 3 inches thick)
      8 slices of pancetta, thinly sliced
      Flour for dusting
      3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
      3/4 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
      2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in 1 cup of warm water
      1 carrot, thinly sliced
      1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
      Salt and pepper to taste
      1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
      1/2 cup red wine
      3 cups tomatoes, peeled
      3 cups chicken broth

Wrap the pork shanks with 2 slices of pancetta and tie with cotton string around the pork to secure the pancetta.
      Dust the pork shanks with flour, and fry in skillet using 1/2 the butter in the skillet, turning several times until they are golden on all sides.
      Remove the shanks and set aside.
      Add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft and golden.
      Replace the pork shanks into the pan, standing them on their side to prevent the marrow in the bones from slipping out during cooking.
      Drain the porcini mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
      Add all the mushrooms, celery, carrots, and season with salt and pepper.
      Add sage and simmer for 4 minutes.
      Add the wine and let evaporate.
      Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer gently for about 1 hour, or until cooked and tender.
      Add more wine if sauce reduces too quickly.

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
        RE: Stinco Wed, 03/15/06 8:44 AM (permalink)
        update on the Stinco...my folks went back to Torino's in Tucson and my mother ordered the dish....overwhelmed by the portion...she said she's gonna be able to make at least 2 more meals out of it and the dog gets the bone....wish I could find some Stinco here in Albany, NY......oh well...guess I'll have to get back to Tucson....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com