The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Fri, 03/10/06 12:36 PM (permalink)
(Taken off my cable company home page news blip)
------------------------------------------------
2006 Season Will Be the Last for Myrtle Beach Pavilion

Say the words, Myrtle Beach Pavilion, and thousands of images come to mind. It may be the place where you met your first love, held your first job, or rode your first roller-coaster. But after this summer season, those memories will be about all that's left of the legendary amusement park. The Pavilion will close down for good.

"A sad day, it is for me. It's a tough day." Burroughs and Chapin Chairman Edgerton Burroughs was emotional Thursday at the announcement that the company is closing the Myrtle Beach Pavilion. His first job at his family's company was pushing a mop at the Pavilion when he was a teenager. He says everyone loves the amusement park, but in recent years fewer and fewer have been paying customers.

For five years B & C and the Downtown Redevelopment Corporation have done little more than talk about removing the Pavilion. Now, with the announcement the park is closing, they have to make a decision.

Doug Wendel is the President of Burroughs and Chapin, "It's time to move on. Things weren't getting any better. They were getting worse, and so we had to do something, and I think now's the time to come together as a community and move ahead."

Wendel says the 11 acre site will become some sort of mixed-use property, lodging and retail, that will be open more than just a few months each year. "If you're going to try to instill year-round living down there, there will be some year-round accomodations and facilities and condominiums."

Many visitors will be disappointed, but tourism leaders say they want to look at this as a "glass half-full" situation. Brad Dean, President of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, said, "Use this as a great opportunity to promote that, if there's ever been a time to come to Myrtle Beach for a summer vacation, 2006 is it, and then we're going to look to bigger and better things afterwards."
----------------------------------------
(yeah, all they need is MORE condo's)

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Fri, 03/10/06 1:33 PM (permalink)
    I'm not surprised. That's some EXPENSIVE property. I imagine some big hotel chain will come in and build on that property.

I remember going there back in the 60's.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Fri, 03/10/06 1:34 PM (permalink)
      I "sucked face"* during many a Spring vacations at the Pavillion during my teen years. It was a yearly family destination. I had a week long fling just about every year we went from age 13-17 (before that, I just did weird things, like...swim in the ocean and go to the water slides). My favorite fling was a cute girl from Ohio. Ah the sweet memories.

*refering, of course, to what to do after you cruise for chicks and pick 'em up.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
        RE: Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Fri, 03/10/06 2:12 PM (permalink)
        The owners of the property are one of the largest and oldest families in this area... Burroughs, Chapin-Prudential. In fact I bought my place from a guy that works for them.
        I was just reading the whole article in the newspaper.
        I took a drive up and down Ocean Blvd. Condo, after Condo, after Condo.... endless stream of new buildings being built.
        What's that Joni Mitchell song?
        Pave Paradise, Put up a parking lot.. (or condo in this case)
        The same has happened with the Cape Canaveral area of Cocoa Beach.
        New hotels, condos--all the mobile home parks there have sold out, displaced their tenants and are now new condos, which they cannot afford... No place for the working class stiff to live.
        Same thing happened in the Fla Keys.....
        Here also, I have read. Making apartment's into condos.. 700 sq foot apartments are being sold for minimum $170K...
        Glad I moved west, and out of the city. Its a bit far to commute, but reasonable and quiet.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
          RE: Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Fri, 03/10/06 3:57 PM (permalink)
          What isn't owned by Burroughs and Chapin, is owned by Scaliase. Scaliase came down after Hugo and bought up much of the distressed property.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
            RE: Myrtle Beach Pavilion closing Mon, 03/13/06 11:58 AM (permalink)
            Burroughs and Chapin pretty much owns Myrtle Beach.They're planning some sort of entertainment complex for the site.I always thought the place was kinda tacky,although has much history behind it.B & C will do what they want.They'll probably stick a dreaded Walgreen's right in the middle.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com