Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

In Memory of Chi-Chi's

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40
V960

• Total Posts: 2429
RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Thu, 05/18/06 8:24 AM (permalink)
Let me get this straight...I'm going to Europe and eat at a Chi-Chi's? Gonna get real cold under foot before that happens.

juliemoose

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Fri, 05/26/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
    My sister-in-law went to a Chi Chi's in or near Lancaser, PA. As she was eating, a piece of the ceiling fell down and hit her in the head. As she was inclined to do, she immediately fell out of her chair, clutching her head and neck. Now, a ceiling should never fall on a patron as they are eating, but I must admit that I was pleased that they closed and went bankrupt before they ever had to pay her any settlement, since she's sued many people in the past for accidents in which she wasn't hurt. She complained of headaches right up to the point where there was no hope of getting any money out of them, and then miraculously was healed!

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
      RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Sat, 05/27/06 11:29 PM (permalink)
      Oh, dear! Well, we didn't sue, but my husband once found a broken-off toothpick complete with frilly plastic attached in his chimichanga once. This was in Springfield, VA. We both got free meals. He had, after all, found it in his mouth.

On the other hand, I used to love the one in Timonium, Maryland, north of Baltimore. Years ago, in the 1970s and early 80s, it was a gardening store. There was a central pyramidal-roof hub with flanking smaller wings of the same shape, with sloping walls. It looked perfect! They didn't have to rebuild much at all. Just parged the walls and it looked great! What I loved best were "Special Beef Chimichangas," which were their beef brisket. Unfortunately, they eventually took that option off the menu, presumably because the meat was more expensive. However, friends of mine who worked there told me they still had the brisket, because it was a necessary ingredient in Diablo sauce.

Ah well. Now I make the meat in my crock pot and fry up Chimis in my DeLonghi.

chichiex

• Total Posts: 10
        RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Mon, 04/16/07 7:27 PM (permalink)
        I would like the recipes for their original regular chili (tex mex chili, and their black bean chili...as a matter of fact I too am a lover of the old chi-chi recipes and would love to make these. Any you are willing to share. You can email me at cincooks@msn.com
        thanks
        quote:
        Originally posted by Pumbaa

I worked there on and off during high school and college for 2 years. It was still my favorite restaurant. my sister and i both worked there for a while. We'd work until midnight on Saturday, go there for lunch on Sunday after church, and THEN go back in for a shift that Sunday afternoon.

I have nothing but fantastic memories of Chi-Chi's . I couldn't ask for a better first job. My managers and co-workers were fantastic. We were the most popular restaurant in town and worked our tails off. For me at least, it was a real labor of love.

I was completely devastated to hear of the closings. After digging on the internet, it seems there are still at least 2 Chi-Chi's : one in Kuwait (really!!) and one in Belgium.

Are there any sites that serve as memorials for Chi-Chi's? There should be a place where ex-employees and fans come together .

I was a cook. I still have all of the recipes. Even though I don't have the Chi-Chi's spice packets or Chi-Chi's vanilla ice cream, I can duplicate the dishes very well. (I did sign a form saying I wouldn't compete with Chi-Chi's or reveal their secrets. Now that it's gone, I wonder if that promise has expired too.)

Chi-Chi's was a phenomenon. It deserves a proper tribute. Can someone tell me if there are sites or groups related to Chi-Chi's memories?? If not, I'll make my own website.

Wes Fowler
        Linecook
        Dixie #18
        Bashford Manor #45

"Chi-Chi's: A Celebration of Food!"

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
          RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Thu, 05/17/07 11:37 AM (permalink)
          Chi-Chis was an upscale Taco Bell...the booths had padding.

Littlelamb

RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Wed, 08/22/07 4:00 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Pumbaa

I worked there on and off during high school and college for 2 years. It was still my favorite restaurant. my sister and i both worked there for a while. We'd work until midnight on Saturday, go there for lunch on Sunday after church, and THEN go back in for a shift that Sunday afternoon.

I have nothing but fantastic memories of Chi-Chi's . I couldn't ask for a better first job. My managers and co-workers were fantastic. We were the most popular restaurant in town and worked our tails off. For me at least, it was a real labor of love.

I was completely devastated to hear of the closings. After digging on the internet, it seems there are still at least 2 Chi-Chi's : one in Kuwait (really!!) and one in Belgium.

Are there any sites that serve as memorials for Chi-Chi's? There should be a place where ex-employees and fans come together .

I was a cook. I still have all of the recipes. Even though I don't have the Chi-Chi's spice packets or Chi-Chi's vanilla ice cream, I can duplicate the dishes very well. (I did sign a form saying I wouldn't compete with Chi-Chi's or reveal their secrets. Now that it's gone, I wonder if that promise has expired too.)

Chi-Chi's was a phenomenon. It deserves a proper tribute. Can someone tell me if there are sites or groups related to Chi-Chi's memories?? If not, I'll make my own website.

Wes Fowler
            Linecook
            Dixie #18
            Bashford Manor #45

"Chi-Chi's: A Celebration of Food!"

njbull

Re:In Memory of Chi-Chi's Wed, 03/14/12 12:19 PM (permalink)
              gee, 6 years later and people are still reading your post, the wonders of the internet. lol

i was chatting with my wife who used to work at chichis years ago about the place, then looked up local locations only to find out they closed in 2004, guess i wasnt that loyal of a customer, lol regardless, i stumbled across a website, have been obsessed lately with everything chichi related since. do you still have acess to your menus or recipes?

sorry if this seems random, i have a lot of spare time here at work ,lol

and thanks if you ever get this, lol

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
                RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Sun, 03/18/12 11:55 AM (permalink)
                Sundancer7

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by AndreaB

The Chi-Chi's in Lexington, KY, did a booming business when it first came to town and was always packed, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I ate there many times as a teenager.
                Prior to it closing, it had become a mere shell of its former self
                as new Mexican restaurants came to town. I'm sure those tainted green onions didn't help either.

Andrea

Andrea: You are right about the Chi-Chui's in Lexington. I think I first ate there around 1980 and it was busy. Too bad they went so far downhill.

I think the one in Lexington was located right off New Circle Rd.???

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

I used to eat at that Chi Chi's when I was little kid. Loved the chimichanga smothered in queso. Tumbleweeds was another good Mexican spot in Lexington.

Recently I visited Lexington to see my sister and we went to La Favorita, a taqueria inside a little Mexican grocery store. It could open up out here in Austin and make good money. Real deal Mexican food.

http://www.tripadvisor.co...exington_Kentucky.html

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Tue, 07/17/12 7:13 PM (permalink)
                  Chi-Chi's was based in Louisville and the store in town and the one in Clarksville, IN just across the River, used to be a training ground for Manager trainees/ Back in the early 80's we held College staff meetings in one of their dining rooms on a monthly basis...Plenty of Margaritas, Fried ice Cream and other faux=Mex food that--at the time-- was pretty good--. The place billed the College for X Number of meals, No mention of the "Extras", so we did imbibe a bit more than normal !! They sure went downhill in the 90's though.  I am suprised to see the Chi-Chi's salsa on the shelf at Wally World, I wonder where it's connection to the old restaurant chain remains.
                  <message edited by mayor al on Tue, 07/17/12 7:22 PM>

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                    RE: In Memory of Chi-Chi's Sat, 07/21/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
                    scrumptiouschef

Sundancer7

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by AndreaB

The Chi-Chi's in Lexington, KY, did a booming business when it first came to town and was always packed, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I ate there many times as a teenager.
                    Prior to it closing, it had become a mere shell of its former self
                    as new Mexican restaurants came to town. I'm sure those tainted green onions didn't help either.

Andrea

Andrea: You are right about the Chi-Chui's in Lexington. I think I first ate there around 1980 and it was busy. Too bad they went so far downhill.

I think the one in Lexington was located right off New Circle Rd.???

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

I used to eat at that Chi Chi's when I was little kid. Loved the chimichanga smothered in queso. Tumbleweeds was another good Mexican spot in Lexington.

Recently I visited Lexington to see my sister and we went to La Favorita, a taqueria inside a little Mexican grocery store. It could open up out here in Austin and make good money. Real deal Mexican food.

http://www.tripadvisor.co...exington_Kentucky.html

Tumbleweed Southwest Grill is actually owned by the same entity as the existing Chi-Chi's that are overseas now. That's why the theme song on the commercial for Tumbleweed in the US and Chi-Chi's overseas is the same song ("The Whisper" by Sedona). I loved Chi-Chi's when it was open in the US and I agree that there should be a tribute page. Sorry for those who didn't enjoy the food or atmosphere but I did!!!

<message edited by IntelligentT82 on Sat, 07/21/12 3:04 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com