The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mcdonald's stepping up?

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 12:03 AM (permalink)
I haven't been to a mcdonalds besides my neighborhood one in years. But on saturday I had to oppurtunity to visit 2 that I haven't been to in about 3 years. They totally redesigned and renovated the inside and I must say those mcdonalds looked like upscale restaraunts no joking.I was totally impressed and in total shock that there is such quality in a fast food setting.What are the mcdonalds like in you guy's area? Or is this just a local thing.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
    RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 12:15 AM (permalink)
    They look the same so no reason to go in. I think I read about a mcd cafe concept that is new. Please describe further.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 11:15 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by fastfood

I haven't been to a mcdonalds besides my neighborhood one in years. But on saturday I had to oppurtunity to visit 2 that I haven't been to in about 3 years. They totally redesigned and renovated the inside and I must say those mcdonalds looked like upscale restaraunts no joking.I was totally impressed and in total shock that there is such quality in a fast food setting.What are the mcdonalds like in you guy's area? Or is this just a local thing.

there are a few McDonald's with more upscale decor here in DC. One that comes to mind is in Woodley Park, near the National Zoo. With quality wall paper and woodwork, nice dark finished wood tables and chairs, and many old photographic prints of DC in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's in nice frames all throught the restaurant.
      Even the order counter is a bit nicer. It does change the experience, slightly. But DC also has it's fair share of slummy McD's too.
      That red and white painted cinderblock looking eyesore...bleack!

SurrealGourmet

• Total Posts: 93
        RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 12:15 PM (permalink)
        I recently stopped at one in Orldando, FL and was like WTF when I walked in. I couldn't believe the differences compared to the normal McD's. It was all fancy and they had a completely different menu. Check out the link below to see their menu. Not your same ole McCrap, that's for sure.

http://www.mcfun.com/images/menu_sandlakeroad.pdf

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
          RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 7:11 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by SurrealGourmet

I recently stopped at one in Orldando, FL and was like WTF when I walked in. I couldn't believe the differences compared to the normal McD's. It was all fancy and they had a completely different menu. Check out the link below to see their menu. Not your same ole McCrap, that's for sure.

http://www.mcfun.com/images/menu_sandlakeroad.pdf

Damn. A McDee's "bistro". When are they going to roll this out nationwide?

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
            RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 8:47 PM (permalink)
            I saw a show on Orlando and that franchisee got special permission because of the Orlando theme park area. I'll bet scorereader or whoever it was up north saw a much tamer company backed concept.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 03/15/06 8:52 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by stevencarry

I saw a show on Orlando and that franchisee got special permission because of the Orlando theme park area. I'll bet scorereader or whoever it was up north saw a much tamer company backed concept.

absolutely. Only the decor is nicer (in some restaurants). It still serves the standard McDonald's fare.

• Total Posts: 335
                RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Sun, 03/19/06 1:03 AM (permalink)
                Fastfood, you're not alone!

I went into the one in Beavercreek on Colonel Glenn Highway across from Wright State University back on January 28 and was stunned to find that their lighting is now hanging colored fixtures like those found at Boston Market and Quizno's, instead of the fluorescent lights built into the ceiling.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                  RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Sun, 03/19/06 10:47 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by 45013

Fastfood, you're not alone!

I went into the one in Beavercreek on Colonel Glenn Highway across from Wright State University back on January 28 and was stunned to find that their lighting is now hanging colored fixtures like those found at Boston Market and Quizno's, instead of the fluorescent lights built into the ceiling.

It just gives the little cretins something to hang onto as they swing over to the next table.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                    RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Sun, 03/19/06 2:38 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by fastfood

What are the mcdonalds like in you guy's area?

Acrhed urinals. Must be in your area only.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                      RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Sun, 03/19/06 5:05 PM (permalink)

joemcvoy

• Total Posts: 6
                        RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 12:37 AM (permalink)
                        Nothin different here in Colorado...

http://www.mcdonalds.com/...lCode=&country=usa

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
                          RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 12:55 AM (permalink)
                          Search for McDonald's in Kokomo, Indiana. There is a McD with a special concept there.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                            RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 1:24 AM (permalink)
                            I hadn't been in one in probably 10-12 years. When my Dad was in the hospital last year, there was one across the street that I stopped into to get some coffee. I was very surprised with the upscale decor in this one too. They also had a coffee bar making Starbucks-like drinks and coffee. This looked very nice. Even touted WiFi access. Sort of Starbucks meets fast food. Still,it's like putting lipstick on a pig. You couldn't get me to eat their fare.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17809
                              RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 8:38 AM (permalink)
                              Some years ago, following an early morning weigh-in for my grandson at a wrestling tournament, I took himto the only open restaurant around for breakfast. It was a McDonald's, and it was a surprise. The food was served on china, the juice and milk were in actual glasses, the coffee was served in cups with saucers, and the eating utensils were stainless.

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
                                RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                Living in So Cal, where Mac Al and Don's place began, when I want to see a "different" style of the arches, I drive down the road about a 1/2 hour to Downey and see the first school design of their franchise. Just out of curiosity my wife and I took our grand children to the first location in San Bernadino, it's currently the HQ of the Juan Pollo-grilled chicken chain, however there are vestiges of the original Mac owned by the MacDonald brothers on the premises and since we know an exec of Juan Pollo we were given a private tour and told that the MacDonald corp is working with Juan Pollo to open a museum open to the public, check it out

http://www.highwayhost.org/Mcdonalds/speedee6.html

<message edited by jonjax71 on Mon, 01/11/10 10:33 AM>

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                  RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                  are you sure you weren't over medicated Michael?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                    sk bob

are you sure you weren't over medicated Michael?

Quite. A couple of years ago I was passing through the same town, West Jefferson, Ohio (which, by the way, is where Henry's is located), and I stopped to get a cup of coffee, because I wanted to see whether they still served that way. My coffee was poured into a carboard cup, so I asked about the china, etc. I was told they only do that during breakfast hours.

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                                      RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                         Just curious, The first two posters have been "banned" Does anyone know how/why?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                        AHI MPLS

Just curious, The first two posters have been "banned" Does anyone know how/why?

It's not something one is permitted to discuss here.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                          RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                          Our local one is still the same --- nothing fancy but clean.

Andrea

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
                                            RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                            Wallyum

[id=quote size=1 font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by fastfood

What are the mcdonalds like in you guy's area?

Acrhed urinals. Must be in your area only.

They are not arched but the most unique urinal is the one at the Madonna Inn-San Luis Obispo. Their bar has a men's room that has a stone waterfall  as their urinal and it is perfectly understood that women are allowed in the facility to see the uniqueness of it which is why they have a standard men's room next to it. The Madonna Inn is world famous for the variety of theme rooms thay have, SLO is half way between San Fran and El Lay. My wife and I honeymooned there in 1974, stayed there several times over the years and in 1999 for our 25th Anniversary we went back to the Honeymoon suite we stayed at in 1974 after renewing our vows. We have also stayed in the Jungle Room, the Cave Room and the Love Nest rooms

Tony Bad

RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Mon, 01/11/10 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                              Michael Hoffman

AHI MPLS

It's not something one is permitted to discuss here.

It wasn't for writing about McDonald's if that is what anyone is wondering.

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
                                                RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Tue, 01/12/10 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                                The McDonalds at 160 Broadway in Manhattan has live music on a grand piano. There was a "Worlds Best Fast Food Stops" (or somesuch) show on the Travel Channel the other night, featuring fancy or themed fast-food francises, including this one.
                                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckroes/100143024/  Looks like the show first aired in 2004. They also feature a Wendys at the North Pole, a BK in an historic building somewhere in South America, a Taco Bell on the beach in Cali (catering specifically to barefoot sandy surfers), etc.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                                                  RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Sun, 02/14/10 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                                  McDonalds should serve breakfast all day (especially the hashbrowns) with the double cheeseburger, Quarter Pounder, Big Mac (whoch are good when fresh), McRib (McRibs kick ass.) and french fries.

Throw everything else away.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                                                    RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Tue, 02/16/10 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                                    senor boogie woogie

McDonalds should serve breakfast all day (especially the hashbrowns) with the double cheeseburger, Quarter Pounder, Big Mac (whoch are good when fresh), McRib (McRibs kick ass.) and french fries.

Throw everything else away.

OOH YEA MC RIB   I wish they would come to the DC area with those saucy things.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                                                      RE: Mcdonald's stepping up? Wed, 02/17/10 3:21 AM (permalink)
                                                      How about a McDonlads outlet that sells nothing but breakfast items all day?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com