The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Punjabi Burritos

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 1:36 AM (permalink)
Is this the next big thing? They have been popular around here for 10 years. It's Indian food with a Jamaican flair stuffed in a tortilla. Has anyone had one, if not you will some day.

Instead of pico de gallo or salsa verde on it, It's chutney or red or green curry sauce. Yum

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
    RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 7:43 AM (permalink)
    Sounds like a Trinidadian roti to me. There is something similar in India called a frankie. I'd like to try what you're talking about. It sounds really interesting. What kind of shop sells them?

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
      RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 9:48 AM (permalink)
      Sounds interesting, but where's "here"? Only in Cali?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
        Steve, you've got me on this. I realize you can get odd "fusion" food in those "wrap" places, but I've never been in one because generally "fusion" isn't my thing. But other than that, where do you get these things? I haven't encountered them and I go to Indian restaurants all the time (you say they're Punjabi).

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
          RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 2:56 PM (permalink)
          BT, I know fusion can be a dirty word but I like the Straits Cafe, E&O Trading Co. type places that combine everything in southeast asia from India to Indonesia. Anyway Avatar's in Sausalito and Punjabi Burrito in Mill Valley do not have websites although the next door neighboor in MV has one and another up and coming concept www.smallshed.com (great stuff)

Below is a review of the Punjabi fusion

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/02/11/NBGG3B7ID41.DTL

zataar

RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 4:03 PM (permalink)
            I did a web search for frankies and came up with numerous Indian restaurants in California, mostly southern California, that have frankies on their menus. Most of them describe frankies as an Indian burrito. I have never seen frankies on an Indian menu here in the midwest. Now I REALLY want to find a place that has them. I'm not so much into fusion food myself, but I don't think frankies are so much fusion food as street food.

BT

RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 7:07 PM (permalink)
              I said "fusion" because it was described as something "Jamaican" in a tortilla with chutney. That mixes three rather distinct cuisines. But if these things are actually something eaten in the Punjab or any other single country rather than the invention of someone in CA, they aren't really "fusion" and would be more attractive to me. Zataar calls them "frankies". Is that actually what they're called on menus or do they have a "real" name? In other words, what should I look for on a menu?

Re Straits Cafe: I've eaten there once and believed what I was getting was Singaporean food (anything using the name "Straits" usually references the strait between Singapore Island and Malaysia) which, in itslef, does tend to include dishes from much of Southeast Asia (and the former British overlords). Never been to the other spots you mentioned.

But to be "the next big thing" this phenomenon will have to metasticize beyond Marin. Any places offering it in SF that you know of?

zataar

RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 9:57 PM (permalink)
                Frankies are eaten in India, Roti are a Trinidadian specialty. I did some more searches on the web and found places in Chicago and Minneapolis that refer to what we're talking about as rotis, frankies, Indian burritos and Indian wraps. Here is just one place in Southern California that I found. This restaurant refers to this item as a frankie.

http://www.greatindiacafe.net/menuspage7.html

I talked to my daughter who lives in Minneapolis this afternoon and she was totally familiar with what I was describing to her. She said there are at least 2 places within a mile of where she lives who sell these. One place calls them rotis, the other Indian burritos. BT, I hope you post when you have one, because I bet you'll love it.Thanks stevencarry for posting about this, I enjoy these kinds of posts.

BT

RE: Punjabi Burritos Thu, 03/16/06 10:28 PM (permalink)
                  This article from "The Hindu" (which bills itself as "India's National Newspaper") suggests this is a recent invention, even in India, and explains the Caribbean connection:
                  quote:
                  A FRANKIE would automatically remind you of a yankie - merely because of the rhyme.

This apart, frankie is a food item - something which can be had as a quick bite or even as a small meal.

Quite a few will claim that the frankie is akin to the kathi roll. For the uninitiated a frankie is a yummy naan or roti with a yummy filling - veg and non-veg.

It is ideal for a takeaway. Frankies have come closer to you - i.e. in the city thanks to Tum Yum Innovisions who have opened their first outlet in White House Building (next to Lifestyle).

Ravi Khandelwal of Tum Yum visions decided to expose the Hyderabadis to this snack. "We have plans to expand and bring in more outlets in course of time," he says.

Frankie is a registered trademark of the Tibbs Group. Created as it was after a year of experimenting by Amarjit Singh Tibb who was fascinated by a Lebanese preparation of pita bread with stuffing.

When frankies (named after the West Indian cricketer Frank Worrell who was then leading the West Indian side to India) launched in Mumbai it was readily accepted.

This frankie is sold from over 60 outlets in Mumbai, Pune and Chennai.

The first outlet in Hyderabad (it's more like a takeaway unit) of Tibbs Frankie was opened at White House building (next to Lifestyle, Begumpet) recently.

Frankies made in a central kitchen are finished and served in this small outlet. The varieties served are veg, veg cheese, paneer and cheese in the veg section and egg, tawa chicken, chicken tikka and mutton in the non-veg section.

What is heartening is the price. While the veg and egg frankie are priced at Rs. 20, the other three veg ones and tawa chicken cost Rs. 25 and the chicken tikka and mutton costs Rs. 30. The frankie has a special masala.

Besides frankies, the stall also has grilled sandwiches in the veg and non-veg section (the prices depend on the layers of cheese one in the layers).

"We decided to introduce this to give some variety. In future we are also planning Tikka, Curry and Biryani - a combo. Subsequent outlets will be open at Prasad Imax, Food Court, MPM Mall, Qahwa (road no 36, Jubilee Hills) in the next three months. Further we also plan to sub franchise units in the twin cities and Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam as well," says Ravi Khandelwal.

As of now remember to check out the frankie when hunger pangs hit you. For further details contact: 23077346, 98490-17791.

RADHIKA RAJAMANI

And the wrapper is (thankfully) Indian naan, not a tortilla (please tell me they don't use real tortilla's in Marin! Even lavash or pita would be more authentic).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com