The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Just Musing on a sunday

cowboy bob 2

• Total Posts: 101
Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 10:50 AM (permalink)
How many times did you want to eliminate an item from your menu and just when you decide to do that, you get 3 or 4 orders for it in a row. I was going to get rid of chicken tenders, and guess what? I had orders for 6 pcs.
How many times did people order from you, and when you gave it to them, they said I wanted two of them.
My biggest problem is that my fan is so loud that I can't hear ordering right. So next week I'm putting a ordering pad outside my window and tell them to write their order down. Hey while I'm at it fill in the prices too! I could concentrate on just cooking then
Also. when a customer orders fries, do you tell them . .5 or 6 minutes, 4 minutes for a Cheese Steak? Now keep in mind you are serving from a window and not a sit down or mickey dees type place.
If you are alone do you wait and prepare one order at a time. do you write every thing down or try to memorize everything?

Wow! my head hurts with all of the above. I'll will be 65 this June, am getting tired of doing it alone. Had a girl once, paid her 8.00 an hr. but she would steal 20 to 40 dollars a day. got rid of her. I do it all alone. so wait your turn buddie. You know you can get very nasty and pissed at As-holes very easy. I tell some never to come back, I don't need as-holes. My business doesn't suffer. If anything my business is growing. My business does over 000,000.00 a year and my books are always open to Govt officials, I pay my fair share taxes. I work smarter, by charging the right price. example buy a soda for 35 cents and sell for $1.25, yes you can get it else where cheeper, so go there, you are here now. A hot dog costs w/bun 25 cents, you sell for 1.50. Most of you pureists would hate my place, because I believe the microwave was the greatest invention ever. Why do I nuke all hot dogs first? so they are hot inside and grill them on outside. they look great and tastes great too. this is how you can speed up your operation. use your microwave, often. I have 2 of them, great time savers, my customers really don't know how I cook their food but only know it tastes great.
Well I'm going now. Later Cowboy Bob 2 in PA

drsmoke02

• Total Posts: 250
    RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 3:30 PM (permalink)
    Why don't you grill them first,ahead of the rush then nuke them,same taste only quicker.
    Buy your sodas at Costco,nowhere near 35cents.try selling hardboiled eggs,50-75cents ea.
    there's a place in frederick md.thats a definite hole in the wall,they sell 80 dz.hardboiled eggs a day.thats $720 gross and approx $640 net.Start with a dozen,if they don't sell,egg salad sandwiches.

tom

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
      RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 4:11 PM (permalink)
      The menu deletion always bites you in the butt. Six weeks ago I took steaks off my menu because I got tired of having to freeze the ones that didn't sell. But when someone else ordered one they got pissed because we had to cook from frozen and it took to long.

Last week I told my cook to get rid of all the remoulade sauce because Po'Boys were coming off the menu since we hardly ever sold one. I also needed the menu space for some seafood items. First thing the next morning we had a call in order for a catfish Po'Boy.

drsmoke02

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 4:53 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Slick

The menu deletion always bites you in the butt. Six weeks ago I took steaks off my menu because I got tired of having to freeze the ones that didn't sell. But when someone else ordered one they got pissed because we had to cook from frozen and it took to long.

Last week I told my cook to get rid of all the remoulade sauce because Po'Boys were coming off the menu since we hardly ever sold one. I also needed the menu space for some seafood items. First thing the next morning we had a call in order for a catfish Po'Boy.

Slick have you ever thought about vaccum sealing your steaks,it gives you an incredible shelflife in you walkin.I know i'd take them off the menu if i couldn't sell them before they went bad and they were vaccumed packed.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
          RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 5:09 PM (permalink)
          Nuke first, then grill the dog's.. There IS a difference.

drsmoke02

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 5:14 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by roossy90

Nuke first, then grill the dog's.. There IS a difference.

I'm not trying to be smart,but what is the difference?

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
              RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 5:20 PM (permalink)
              It's like Cowboybob says, the inside gets hot and its more cooked on the inside, and then when you take it off the grill, it has that fresh grilled flavor to it. And doesnt get shriveled or hard on the ends.
              Try one and check it out.

That is how I did it at work, then yesterday, they got one of those steamer's, where ya keep the buns on the top and dogs below, so I dont nuke them anymore.

nvb

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 6:32 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by drsmoke02

Slick have you ever thought about vaccum sealing your steaks,it gives you an incredible shelflife in you walkin.I know i'd take them off the menu if i couldn't sell them before they went bad and they were vaccumed packed.

Yep, but I wasn't selling very many anyway. Not selling them is just another pain reliever.

drsmoke02

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

quote:
                  Originally posted by drsmoke02

Yep, but I wasn't selling very many anyway. Not selling them is just another pain reliever.

Slick,what type of restaurant do you have?

nvb

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 9:51 PM (permalink)
                    Combination BBQ and grill. We do a little of it all.

drsmoke02

RE: Just Musing on a sunday Sun, 03/19/06 10:45 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

Combination BBQ and grill. We do a little of it all.

I will tell you that's a problem, get a signature and stick with it, make it the the best, people will flock to your store if you have the best of something.Trust me when I tell you this.

bassrocker4u2

• Total Posts: 534
                        RE: Just Musing on a sunday Mon, 03/20/06 7:50 AM (permalink)
                        cowboybob, thanks for the great thread! i laughed soooo hard!
                        we feel your pain! my wife and i go through alot of the same problems you do. at least, i have her to work with me. i could not do it alone anymore. just friday, she had to leave and pick up our freshly repaired at an outrageous price auto in the middle of the after noon. and of course, i got hit with the whole world at once. gimme this, gimme that, how much for one rib, where is this, how long you been here, fifty more stupid questions, and then where is my order that i havent even placed yet! hahahahaheeheehee!!!!!!
                        i feel ya! should be a special retirement home for folks like us.... fishing and a 12pack

cowboy bob 2

• Total Posts: 101
                          RE: Just Musing on a sunday Tue, 03/21/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
                          Basrocker4u2
                          My wife helps me out Fri from 5 till 8 pm, when I do the most of the sales.
                          Listen to this story: I wanted a glass door merchandiser for sodas, New price 1,300 and up. In sunday paper a vietnamese grocery store was selling out. Does this ever happen. I called wife said 800.00. Mon I went to look at it, Hubby said 500.00, I didn't quibble, and whipped out 500.00 cash and looked around at other items, I might need. He had a bain marie just like the one I bought last Month for 1,000.
                          I asked him how much, he said make me an offer, I said 100.00 he said OK. Wow! I stoled it. It even has the plastic covering along the sides, Looks like new. The merchandiser is fully stocked and in use today. It is as tall as the fl to ceiling height. an inch to spare. All I need now is to put in a big air conditioner and the trailer is done.
                          I sold one of my old refers today for 35.00 too.
                          The bain marie is going in my old trailer. Also he threw out his old roller hot dogger, I picked it up and am going to refurbish it. Needs a drive gear to work , Heats up ok.
                          Later Cowboy Bob 2 in cold PA

bassrocker4u2

• Total Posts: 534
                            RE: Just Musing on a sunday Wed, 03/22/06 7:10 AM (permalink)
                            wow! what a steal!!!!!!!
                            i hope to find a walk in unit same way.........

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com