The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Stuffing/Dressing

travis

• Total Posts: 16
Stuffing/Dressing Thu, 03/6/03 4:51 PM (permalink)
Whatever you call it...

Any ex-military or mess-cooks:

Remember the standard stuffing served with turkey (my era is 1970)?
It was a kind of cornbread dressing with no sausage, giblets, or oysters and spiced with thyme.

I have a reference for it in "Chow, a Cooks Tour of Military Food" but that book is out of print, although there is supposed to be a copy in the reference room of the NY Public Library.

Does anyone have a recipe (for smaller than 100 people)?

Michael, are there any military-themed resturants around? They would serve SOS, okra, pepper steak (formed ground beef with flakes of bell-pepper mixed in).

Michael Stern

RE: Stuffing/Dressing Thu, 03/6/03 8:37 PM (permalink)
    Military themed restaurant?!?!?

None that I can think of ... however Sgt. White's Diner down in Beaufort, SC, is run with a sense of order and precision worthy of a Marine D.I. (which Sgt. White used to be). The food is NOT SOS, I can assure you. It's some of the best BBQ anywhere: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1408

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Stuffing/Dressing Fri, 03/7/03 2:04 AM (permalink)
      Man, You guys just hit a tearful memory for me. If we can come up with a place that actually claims to use "Gennn U Whine" military recipes, I would bet the "Greatest Generation" and their sons would Flock to it.
      Items to be included to qualify... First is Real S O S- for you young folks, that is "Something on a Shingle"...NOT your typical Biscuit and Gravy, it needs real Chipped Beef in a wallpaper-paste consistency gravy base. The only condiment allowed with this is coarse-ground blck pepper so you can make it look like Aphids have fallen into the bowl . NUMMY !!!
      Another speciality of the house must be Shepherd's Pie. The ground meat in the lower level must contain at least 30% gristle to qualify, and the mashed potato upper level must be at least 2 inches deep.
      I used to love Liver Night at our Japanese Mess Hall in the early 60's. On that night the choices (3) for the evening meal entree's would be the Liver that everyone hated, Shepherd's Pie- which everyone chose, and Scallops which sat like a wallflower at a Legion Dance...except for me...I could eat a cereal bowl full of those little devils !! All of my clod-kicker buddies wondered how I could do it, but I swear that was the best entree in the whole 30 day menu.
      Another favorite on my list was the "Eggs to Order" breakfast item..As long as the 'Order' was scrambled we were just fine, since the eggs were powdered !!
      This establishment needs to use Stainless Steel trays and have plenty of the brown bakelite bowls and coffee cups. Large photo's of unknown Officers known as the Chain of Command and recruiting and Re-Up posters on the walls are mandatory to help build a healthy appetite !! More later if an interest developes.

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
        RE: Stuffing/Dressing Fri, 03/7/03 9:47 AM (permalink)
        Don't know if it's quite what you'relooking for but I understand the U.S.S. Alabama, BB 60, now retired in Mobile Bay puts on meals. I don't know it is an everday individual thing or just for large groups. You might give it a try. www.ussalabama.com

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
          RE: Stuffing/Dressing Fri, 03/7/03 11:10 AM (permalink)
          Growing up in a military family (being the son of a retired AF SMSGT) we ate S-O-S and shepards pie on a weekly basis ! Love both of them. I must admit that we eventually moved form chipped beef to ground beef in the S-O-S. My father always put hot sauce and a fried egg on his S-O-S. Not sure if this was authentic military style, or just his preference.

travis

• Total Posts: 16
            RE: Stuffing/Dressing Tue, 03/11/03 4:53 PM (permalink)
            Hey you guys...you're bringing up too many (fond?) memories - yeah, I guess it was one of the best times.

Anyone authorized to remember the midnight mess for the flight-line guys and us medics?

How about the hot sauce and generic steak sauce (in a kind of midget bottle about the shape of a vinegar bottle) on the tables reserved for the senior NCO's?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 04/9/03 9:16 PM (permalink)
              Travis,
              I have a collection of the Tiny bottles of Tabasco Sauce that were placed in the MRE's when they first came out. God bless and rest the soul of the Marine General who was part of the Mcilhenney (SP?)family, who insisted that the spicy sauce be included in the bland MRE for the troops.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 06/4/03 2:43 PM (permalink)
                Just perusing the Roadfood website and found this topic which seems to have evolved into more of a general discussion of "meals we had in the military" rarther than exclusively a military dressing discussion. I don't know about other branches of the military, but did any of you ex-Navy men ever have what I thought was about the most unusual of all military breakfasts - baked beans, hard boiled eggs, cornbread, and hot coffee. To my way of thinking this would have made a pretty good lunch or supper, particularly with a little barbecue added to it, but it was just a bit far out for breakfast. I ate it, however, primarily because I was a misplaced Southerner in Boston and this Navy breakfast and Durgin Park were the only two places I could ever get any cornbread up there. Even tho both were Yankee cornbread containing too much flour and sugar, they were better than nothing. I'm not complaining, tho, for I agree with Travis above that my military days were among my "best of times"

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 06/4/03 3:19 PM (permalink)
                  Sheesch, Like2, that breakfast would be outstanding for any member of a Blimp Crew, needing to be "Lighter than Air" ! But as a dirt-crawling grunt it would give away our location by sight(green smoke), sound(distant thunder) and smell (old beans and older eggs)

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                    RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 06/4/03 3:21 PM (permalink)
                    Travis, I'm relatively new here and didn't see your post until now but it's your lucky day. I have the CHOW book at home and will dig it up tonight and post that recipe for the bread dressing.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                      RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 06/4/03 8:55 PM (permalink)
                      Hello, Mayor - I hadn't thought of the advantages and disadvantages of the military breakfast I described, depending on the particular branch of service to which it was served, but you certainly have the situation well figured out & summed up. Maybe the origin of this breakfast for the Navy was back in the days of sail - served to provide an emergency propulsion source on those mornings when it seemed likely there was to be no wind that day. It's odd your mentioning a blimp crew. I've always been a big hot air balloon, blimp, rigid airship fan, and this past Saturday at an airshow for first time ever I got to go right up to, inspect, and converse with the crew of one of the Goodyear blimps, all a real thrill for me. Now if only someone out there would have some pull with a Goodyear muckety-muck and could get me a ride in one of those beauties.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                        RE: Stuffing/Dressing Wed, 06/4/03 10:40 PM (permalink)
                        This is the only stuffing/dressing/filling recipe in the CHOW book:

STUFFING

1/ 2 cup chopped onions (fine)
                        1/ 2 cup chopped celery (fine)
                        2 cups bread crumbs
                        1/ 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
                        1/ 2 tsp. salt
                        1/ 8 tsp. black pepper
                        2 Tbs. chicken stock or water

Combine onions, celery, bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add sufficient stock or water to moisten bread mixture. Mix well.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com