The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream?

cougartonyusa

• Total Posts: 12
Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sun, 03/26/06 6:52 PM (permalink)
Howard Johnson International now owns the recipes to all of the former restaurant's food products. Soon to be marketed is the super premium brand of the famous Howard Johnson's ice cream. will you buy it? What flavors should be sold on the first run?font=Script MT Bold][/font=Script MT Bold

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
    RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sun, 03/26/06 7:17 PM (permalink)
    I sure would buy it... My favorite is Chocolate, so that would be my pick.
    I also think Butter Pecan should be a first run flavor, in addition to the staples.. Vanilla, rocky road, strawberry.....

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
      RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 7:50 PM (permalink)
      Pistachio!!!

Sundancer7

RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 8:07 PM (permalink)
        I am not sure what HoJo's would offer now but their ice cream use to be very good. That was before all the creamry places came into being.

I hope their product turns out good.

I think "The Mayor" might know as I understand that during his younger days, he did a stint at Howard Johnson's. He might have ate them out of business

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 8:20 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the endorsement, Paul. ButterCrunch was top of my list for HoJo Flavors, followed by Burgundy Cherry, Peppermint Stick, Mocha Walnut and Mint Chip.
          Where are they planning to market the new products? Region? Nationwide? Where will the cream be produced? I will be interested in checking the quality of the "New HOJO" stuff before recommeding it to anyone.

Sundancer7

RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 8:26 PM (permalink)
            Just kidding Al but I knew you would know Howard Johnson's better than anyone. I recall you remarking about the clams.

How long were you there?

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
              RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 8:26 PM (permalink)
              Back in the 40's there was an outfielder with the NY Giants named Jackie Brandt.
              While in spring training somewhere in Florida he talked a few of his team mates into driving 50 miles to the nearest HOWARD JOHNSON because they had 52 flavors, or some other crazy number. When they got there Brandt ordered vanilla.

Loved their ice cream, their hot dogs and their fried clams. And Howard became a damn good 3rd baseman for the NY Mets.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 8:45 PM (permalink)

Paul- 1963-65...a long time ago.

Mariner- 28 Flavors !

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                  RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 9:11 PM (permalink)
                  Of course I would buy it, just out of nostalgia. I imagine it will be marketed in supermarkets as all the other HoJo lines are. This might be their best marketing move, ice cream is certainly where they started from and one of the things they are best remembered for.

I have tried two of the supermarket offerings available to me: HoJo Mac & Cheese (fatty, tasteless & forgettable); HoJo fried clams (not bad, better than Mrs. Paul's anyway).

One of the very last HoJo restaurants is in Lake George, NY. I think I might visit this year before they disappear as well. Bring on those clams and give me the ice cream menu!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                    RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 03/31/06 9:29 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Paul- 1963-65...a long time ago.

Mariner- 28 Flavors !

I've watched a documentary many times that is titled "Blazing Saddles". It was made back when Howard only had 1 flavor.

Dearjanecooks

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 04/7/06 7:03 PM (permalink)
                      I remember as a child we couldn't afford a "real" vacation so every summer we drove from the mid-Hudson Valley to the CT shore near Old Saybrrok to visit with an old reired friend of my Dad's from the railroad for a week. He was always glad to have us as he lived alone and mom would clean and cook good meals for him while he and daddy rehashed RR "stuff". Anyhow, that was before the days of the CT Turnpike and it was an almost all day trip along old US#1 so we were always glad to see that orange roof. Daddy loved their clams and clam chowder (NE-style. of course--we ate Manhatten style at home), mama liked anything that she didn't have to cook!, and I can't remember anything special that my sister and I liked, except their ice cream. We loved being able to choose from 28 flavors, many of them seemingly exotic, like pistachio--one of my favorites, but mama always just got plain vanilla, not very adventuresome! I can't remember any HoJo's near us in NY until after I was grown. I'd buy their ice cream just for the memories.
                      Does anyone know whether this is true-- that Howard Johnson's real first name was Leonard??? I collect old tin pie plates--the kind that "usta" come with a pie in it, mainly from regional bakeries, before foil pie plates and the early ones from HoJo's have the intials LHJ on them, which I was told was for Leonard Howard Johnson...

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                        RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Fri, 04/7/06 7:22 PM (permalink)
                        Dear Jane, Nice post sounds like fond memmories. I once heard that vanilla was the number one flavor of ice cream here and world wide. I wonder if they will have an orange cover on the product? Welcome to Roadfood Jane. Chow Jim

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                          RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sat, 04/8/06 7:18 PM (permalink)
                          I call shenannigans on the OP. There is no mention that I could find anywhere else on the internet that anyone is planning on introducing Howard Johnson's ice cream in a premium brand.

About all the information you could ever want to know about HoJo's can be found here:
                          http://hojoland.homestead.com/stories.html

If you can cite a new story from a reputable source (not some 12 y/o's MySpace blog), then I will recall my statement, but I am pretty sure I am correct.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                            RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sat, 04/8/06 8:25 PM (permalink)
                            I loved HoJo's banana ice cream as a kid--and the hot dogs, "Frankforts."

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
                              RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sat, 04/8/06 10:30 PM (permalink)
                              Yes,
                              1. Coffee

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6781

2. Burgundy Cherry

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sat, 04/8/06 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                Peach, Chocolate Chip, Strawberry, Burgundy Cherry...

cougartonyusa

• Total Posts: 12
                                  RE: Will you buy Howard Johnson's ice cream? Sat, 05/6/06 5:21 PM (permalink)
                                  check out the progress in the re-introduction of the brand:

www.hojoland.com
                                  www.orangeroof.org

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com