I get good complements & request for the recipe when serving this slaw at group meetings.
Make-Ahead Coleslaw Original Recipe Yield 20 servings; 1 cup (1/4 lb) servings Ingredients
* 1 large head cabbage, shredded
* 2 large onions, thinly sliced
* 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
* 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
* 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
* 1 large green pepper, chopped
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained; or 2 medium fresh diced
* 1 teaspoon salt, (to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste) Directions 1. In a large salad bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate before serving.
Cole Slaw Dressing addapped from Justin Wilson's slaw recipe. quanity = 1 QT Ingredients
3/4 Cup Mayonnaise, (heaping), -Optional
2 Med Eggs, Delete if Starting With Mayonnaise
2 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar, Delete if Starting With Mayonnaise
1 Tbl Salt (to taste)
1 Tbl Pepper (to taste)
5 Tbl Juice of lemon, 2 mediums -size lemon
1 Cup Olive oil , Blend
1/3 Cup Yellow mustard (heaping)
1/3 Cup Ketchup
2 Tbl Louisiana hot sauce
3 Tbl Wine vinegar
2Tbl Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbl Honey
1/4 Cups Salad Oil Or Corn Oil, Or Top Off Quart Jar & Blend Note: If using Mayonnaise delete eggs & Cider Vinegar. Using wide mouth Quart jar and stick blender add first 7 items (eggs to olive oil) and blend thoroughly & thickened.
This makes a basic mayonnaise. Then add remaining items and blend thoroughly. Top off jar with Olive oil or salad/corn oil. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasonings to taste. Cap and refrigerate. Use approx. ½ cup per pound of cabbage or 1 cup per medium head of cabbage.
<message edited by edwmax on Sun, 05/9/10 9:50 AM>