The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
My PC has been running slow lately, and I just finished cleaning out old files, and old crap in my documents, etc., etc.

One major question:
Can I delete previous updates from Java? (runtime) --there are 3,-

They are the J2SE runtime 5.0 environment updates that are listed in my Add/Remove Program's.
I have 2, 4, 6 there.
I am assuming 6 is the most recent update for my JAVA, are the other ones needed?

They take up about 150MB each.
I know I need my Java, but I am assuming that one cancels out the other when you update..
Help,
Thanks!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 9:04 PM (permalink)
    The presence of files on your drive won't slow things down, and the deletion of certain files won't speed thiongs up. (unless your hard drive, especially the C drive, is near to being full. That seldom happens these days with huge HDD capacities) I assume you're diligent about defragging your harddisk(s). Regular HDD defragging won't allow the file access speeds to degrade.

Do you flush your Temp folders on a regular basis? If you're not sure of their location, ask and I'll direct you to them.

Do you occasionally flush your browser cache and history?

Unfortunately, Windows becomes bloated and can slow down with time and use. This is due to various internal functions including the registry. The only cure for Winbloat is a clean reinstall of the Windows operating system, something I do roughly once a year. But I abuse the hell out of my system. YMMV.

EDIT: Spelling

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 10:29 PM (permalink)
      I clean out cookies and temp files and defrag on a regular basis.
      I am not sure if the slowness is due to a crappy DSL service or just too much stuff here.

I am running XP on a HP Laptop zd8205us..
      Following is taken from my system information summary:
      disk drive 1--P4-2793mhz
      511mb
      57% load

Hard Drive 64305MB (84% free) total space 76316 mb
      video 1440X900 true color 32 bit
      Page file usage 84% free
      cur cache 0mb
      max cache 128mb
      top speed cache 256mb
      disk drive 2 cdromm drive:d--------------------------
      it just seems lately, it is running very slow and taking longer to start up.
      I dont have a lot of stuff on my desktop, nor a lot of programs, no games....

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 10:31 PM (permalink)
        I been thinking about reinstalling also.
        It seems to "clean" it out, like you said.
        Also, when the tech came for my DSL install, he said that AOL is a big problem in slowing down a pc..
        I had better service when I was cable modem, but they only offer dsl here.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 10:34 PM (permalink)

Just found this on my unit:
          Technical Details
          Windows XP Home edition (Service Pack 2); HP Image Zone Plus
          Multimedia-focused laptop with 17-inch Brightview screen and 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 520 processor (800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
          80 GB hard drive, 512 MB of RAM (2 GB maximum), multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
          Four USB 2.0, one Firewire, one VGA, one S-Video, one PCMCIA, microphone, headphone, IR receiver
          Built-in 10/100/ BASE-T ethernet; 56K (V.90) modem, 54-Mbps wireless LAN (802.11b/g) with HSM/Speedbooster support
          Multimedia-focused laptop with 17-inch Brightview screen and 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 520 processor (800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
          80 GB hard drive, 512 MB of RAM (2 GB maximum), multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
          Four USB 2.0, one Firewire, one VGA, one S-Video, one PCMCIA, microphone, headphone, IR receiver
          Built-in 10/100/ BASE-T ethernet; 56K (V.90) modem, 54-Mbps wireless LAN (802.11b/g) with HSM/Speedbooster support
          Windows XP Home edition (Service Pack 2); HP Image Zone Plus

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 10:46 PM (permalink)
            That looks, featurewise, like an excellent machine. Plenty of everything. My personal position: If I had a machine that had AOL installed on it, I'd treat it like an infected leper used to be treated. I'd fdisk and reformat my hard drive and start fresh with a clean install of Windows and new installs of all the programs and utilities I use.

That's how much I despise the AOL software.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 11:30 PM (permalink)
              I have been seriously considering getting rid of AOL. It seems it worked better before they had these "fancy" upgrades. And it Seems like it is just slowing it down.

Thanks for the information. I guess I have done all that I can do, except to reformat it.

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 11:35 PM (permalink)
                How about the Windows Temp folder? That one is often forgotten. C:\WINNT\Temp

Also, since you seem to pay attention to the details, I'm going to assume you've covered the possibilities of infection due to virii/trojans/BHO hijacker problems. It never hurts to do a "highjack this" scan and have the experts at one of my other hangouts analyze the readout. That place is http://www.askdg.com. Post the results in the Tech Talk forum.

I'm assuming you keep your antivirus up to date, do regular system scans, and scan occasionally with utilities like AdAware, Spyware Blaster, Pest Patrol, etc.

There's so much harmful crap out there now it's disgusting.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Sun, 04/9/06 11:49 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by enginecapt

How about the Windows Temp folder? That one is often forgotten. C:\WINNT\Temp

Also, since you seem to pay attention to the details, I'm going to assume you've covered the possibilities of infection due to virii/trojans/BHO hijacker problems. It never hurts to do a "highjack this" scan and have the experts at one of my other hangouts analyze the readout. That place is http://www.askdg.com. Post the results in the Tech Talk forum.

I'm assuming you keep your antivirus up to date, do regular system scans, and scan occasionally with utilities like AdAware, Spyware Blaster, Pest Patrol, etc.

There's so much harmful crap out there now it's disgusting.

Can you email me with the specifics of the highjack this, and also how I find the winnt\temp files.
                  Thanks..
                  Tara
                  (I am shutting down now, so I will check in the am)
                  Thanks so much Enginecapt.
                  Tara

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 12:52 AM (permalink)
                    Naw, we've gone this far, might as well finish it here in case anyone else is taking notes.

You download Highjack This here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
                    Follow the instructions carefully.

For the Windows Temp folder: click on My Computer, click on C drive, click on the WINNT folder, click on the Temp folder, then delete all files listed in the folder EXCEPT for the ones datestamped for the day you do this. You could sort the file display by date and not include that day's files (if any) in the deletion process. Also delete all sub-folders under the Temp folder.

If you get a popup telling you that a file can't be deleted because it's in use, make a note of the file name and hit OK, then continue with the delete process without trying to delete the file that popped the warning.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 11:38 AM (permalink)
                      There is no winnt folder in my temp.
                      Only an ACN folder that is empty.

angeltx

• Total Posts: 129
                        RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
                        Go here http://fosi.ural.net/

and download Window Washer, works great,and it's free

I clean both my computers at work and home everyday.

this link sells the program,I wanted to include it so you can read about it.http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/windowwasher

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 5:29 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by roossy90

There is no winnt folder in my temp.
                          Only an ACN folder that is empty.

But there's a Temp folder in your WINNT folder. Here's the path:
                          C:\WINNT\Temp

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 5:48 PM (permalink)
                            I click on the C drive.
                            OK-
                            The items that come up there are as follows:
                            DECCHECK
                            HP
                            KPCMS
                            I386
                            Documents and settings
                            my music
                            program files
                            temp--->when I click this file, there is only acn folder in it)
                            swsetup
                            windows
                            (those are the "folders".
                            then there are lots of other things there..

When I put the C/winnt temp into the RUN area, I get a window that says that it refers to a location that is unavailable. Check to make sure THe disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or to your network, and try again.
                            If it is still not available, this information may have been moved to a different location.

I also tried it with the "search" feature.
                            HUH?

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 5:58 PM (permalink)
                              I see the problem. Your Windows folder is actually called Windows, not WINNT. That's a holdover on my machine from Win 2000. There should be a Temp folder under the Windows folder. C:\Windows\Temp.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                ok.. i see it.. temp goes to temp internet files and when I click on that, there is Content.IE5 folder, and then there is 4 folders and one WMV button which have nothing in them at all, so I deleted them.
                                Also a cookie folder on the same page as the temp folder, with 1 thing in it.
                                Also, there is a folder "history", when I click on that and and it says history IE5, and click that it shows a wmv button that says index, and it show a notepad of visited places,(very few things on that)
                                Can I delete that also?

enginecapt

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                  That's all your browser cache and history. You can clean that out from within the browser. Just don't flush your trash bin until you've tried your browser. Better safe than sorry.

roossy90

RE: Tech Question here about previous D/L's on the PC Mon, 04/10/06 9:14 PM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for all your help..
                                    Dont know if its faster, but at least it is cleaner..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com