The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

OLD TIME LIMEADE

Frenchie

• Total Posts: 4
OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/18/06 1:14 PM (permalink)
Take me back to the old days of going to a drug store and sitting at the counter and ordering a limeade, How did they make em. I remember they had some kind of lime extractor, they added somekind of syrup, and topped it off with soda water or some frizz liquid, anyone know how they made it and what type of equipment was used.
Thanks

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
    RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/18/06 4:34 PM (permalink)
    We used to call them lime (or lemon or cherry) phosphates. Made just as you described

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
      RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/18/06 4:37 PM (permalink)
      Two things:
      Sonics has a great cherry limeade and,
      I used to get New York Seltzer in flavors which closely resembled the phosphates I mentioned above.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/18/06 4:54 PM (permalink)
        I liked the limeades, but I really liked the orangeades, and cherry smashes.
        The drug store counter drinks were always a special treat.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/18/06 7:24 PM (permalink)
          I like Sonic, and wish they had some stores here in the mid-atlantic area, but they use Sprite as the base for their Limeade drinks.

In Dallas, Braum's Ice Cream stores make it from scratch, and in Richmond, Va, you can get the real thing fresh squeezed at Bill's Barbecue.

Where else do they make it from scratch these days?

lionheart

• Total Posts: 7
            RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Wed, 04/19/06 9:21 AM (permalink)
            I don't know where else you can get a limeade made from scratch, but I feel qualified to comment on the fact that Braums has them. I grew up in Oklahoma. The Braum's Dairy was just outside a neighboring small town, Tuttle, OK. It is a huge operation, running thousands of dairy cattle. My brother worked there one summer and actually met Bill Braums. We had a tiny little Braums ice cream store in our county seat (Chickasha) for as long as I can remember. They eventually enlarged it to add a hamburger line, and later they built a much larger new store.

I lived in other areas around the country for several years, and didn't realize just how much I missed Braums until I moved back to the region. And, yes I often ordered a cherry limeade-- then and now. My mom always specifically orders a "sweet cherry lime". I guess if they are making it from scratch, maybe they can make it more or less sweet according to taste. On the other hand, there is room in the process for "mistakes" as well. I never specifically say "sweet" when ordering, but they are usually just right for me. One time though, when I received my cherry limeade, I wished I had said sweet. It was like lime and carbonated water with no syrup. I guess it pays to be specific.

Now I eat at the Braums in Weatherford, TX quite often. My new favorite there is Cherry Limeade Sherbert. It's not a drink, but it tastes just like it sounds. I love it.

As for other phosphates, there is another place in Weatherford that has them on the menu. Yesterdays is a tiny little cafe where you can get such things as sandwiches on homemade bread, homemade cookies, milkshakes, and phosphates. When I first went there I didn't know what a phosphate was, so I asked. Unfortunately many of the people working there didn't know either. I finally got a vague description from one young girl there. Funny the middle aged woman I asked didn't know. Nor did the older gentleman customer at the counter. It doesn't seem that they sell many. I didn't order one. It has only been more recently when reading about old time soda fountains that I really understood that a phosphate is just a made from scratch soda, just like Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper and others started out as.

lionheart

RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Wed, 04/19/06 9:36 AM (permalink)
              I found this recipe for cola somewhere on line. I can't remember where. I haven't tried it, but it sounds interesting. No special equipment required. Maybe somebody can give it a try and tell us what they think. I thought it might be simple to substitute other flavored syrups and extracts to come up with new flavors as well.

Make your own Cola

Simple syrup: 1 cup sugar + 1 cup water

1/2 cup seltzer or club soda
              2 tablespoons simple syrup
              1/2 teaspoon vanilla
              1 teaspoon lemon juice
              pinch of cinnamon
              baker's caramel (like Kitchen Bouquet) as required
              ice cubes

Bring sugar and water to a boil, simmer, then cool. That is your simple syrup. In a glass tumbler, stir simple syrup, with vanilla, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Add club soda (carbonated spring water is fine too) then baker's caramel to produce the correct shade.

If you can't find it in the store, you can make your own Baker's Caramel-- Combine 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved (about 2 minutes). Gradually add 1 cup boiling water; continue cooking until it becomes syrupy (about 15 minutes). It is supposed to end up the color of coffee.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Thu, 04/20/06 4:39 PM (permalink)
                If your ever in Jacksonville Fl..... LUBI's serves limeade, a cherrysyrup, one fresh squeezed lime per glass half a lemon squeezed, one slice of each in the cup. Carbonated water and ice are added when ordered

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
                  RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Fri, 04/21/06 1:17 PM (permalink)
                  5 lb Sugar
                  2 oz Citric acid
                  1 oz Tartaric acid
                  6 c Boiling water
                  6 Limes

Dissolve the sugar and acids in boiling water.
                  Use juice from 6 limes. Use zest from 4 limes.
                  Add to boiling water. Stir well and take off heat and let cool.
                  Keep bottled in frig.
                  Mix in a 5 part water to 1 part syrup ratio.

Tartaric acid is a preservative to help the sugar syrup from spoiling.
                  You can buy it at any place that sells supplies for wine making
                  or Homebrewing beer. It is not cream of tartar!

I use sparkling water or club soda for the water. I also add one cherry
                  before serving. Serves no purpose but looks nice.

Want to make lemonade, just replace the limes with lemons.

Warm fruit gives you more juice. Roll it well between your plams and a
                  counter top before juicing.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                    RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Sat, 04/22/06 6:52 AM (permalink)
                    The frozen limeade at Kroger's is not bad at all. I have always preferred limeade to lemonade.

Andrea

mountain_charlie

• Total Posts: 27
                      RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Mon, 04/24/06 4:19 PM (permalink)
                      Wouldn't you make it the same way as Lemonade? lime juice, sugar,ice water,shake.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                        RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Mon, 04/24/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by mountain_charlie

Wouldn't you make it the same way as Lemonade? lime juice, sugar,ice water,shake.

Sounds about right to me also.

lionheart

RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/25/06 1:01 PM (permalink)
                          I guess that would be called limeade too, but you really should try one from a soda fountain or from one of the places mentioned in this thread, or other similar place. I always get the cherry limeade. I usually don't have any cherry syrup at home, so that would make a big difference. There's also problems with sugar not disolving completely, and also with losing the carbonation in the process. Yes, it should be carbonated. I mean do you like your Coke, Pepsi, etc. when it has gone flat? I'm not saying a simple homemade limeade as described above wouldn't be good, but it just isnt going to be the same thing as Frenchie was yearning for when the thread was started.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                            RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 04/25/06 4:19 PM (permalink)
                            More properly called cherry-limeaid, the cherry part is (at least around here) seldom used. WalMart sells a cherry syrup for snowcone makers, Im sure other places do as well. club soda should sub well for carbonated water

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                              RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Thu, 04/27/06 5:27 PM (permalink)
                              I always thought club soda and carbonated water were the same thing, what's the difference?

John

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Thu, 04/27/06 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                BhamBabe,

I cannot wait to try your recipe with my grandchildren. Five pounds of sugar? That sounds like an awful lot.

John

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                  RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Thu, 04/27/06 7:25 PM (permalink)

http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/products_limeade.shtml

I must admit ... this looked real good, and I'm waiting for the next sale

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                    RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Fri, 04/28/06 9:32 AM (permalink)
                                    Fox's U-Bet makes a black cherry syrup (in addition to raspberry, chocolate and vanilla) that's great for making your own fountain drinks. Some of our grocery stores in the area carry it in their kosher foods section but only at passover time, when the department is expanded in size.

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
                                      RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Fri, 04/28/06 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by John A

I always thought club soda and carbonated water were the same thing, what's the difference?

John

The club soda has sodium added.

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
                                        RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Fri, 04/28/06 5:01 PM (permalink)
                                        I just had a Stewart's Key Lime soda, which was pretty good, but I really wanted a fountain-made Lime Rickey. I used to get them at the Woolworth's soda fountain counter as a kid.

When I was very young, we actually had a seltzer delivery man. He'd bring a half-dozen bottles (the old-fashioned squirt bottles) in a wooden case. My folks had a few flavors of syrup that we'd mix them with to make fruit-flavored sodas. Chocolate was the best though--we'd put a few tablespoons of Hershey's syrup in a glass, fill with seltzer and stir. mmmm!

BakinBlake

• Total Posts: 1
                                          Re:OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 12/13/11 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                          Braums Cherry Limeade Recipe
                                          Ingredients:
                                          1 cup of water
                                          1 cup of sugar
                                          (sugar+water=simple syrup)
                                          juice of fresh limes
                                          grenadine/ marshino cherry juice
                                          club soda
                                          ice
                                          Directions:
                                          Bring water and sugar to a boil , let cool. Cut limes  in half, use 1 lime per beverage, squeeze juice into glass leave lime in glass, put 1/4 cup of simple syrup, 2 tbls grenadine or cherry  juice, shake or mix together, add ice and soda.

Hope you like it!!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                            RE: OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 12/13/11 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                            signman

In Dallas, Braum's Ice Cream stores make it from scratch ...  

That was one of the many pleasant surprises about Dallas. 

For those of you "back East", the local Braum's stores are very reminiscent of the old High's Dairy Stores.

crepeflipper

• Total Posts: 18
                                              Re:OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 02/14/12 1:34 PM (permalink)
                                              I used to get a phosphate at Farells ice cream parlor when they had a soda fountain in the 60s.  A regular soda (using soda water) has as small amount of phosphoric acid added to it.  From Wikipedia:  "The drink consists of 1 US fl oz (30 ml) fruit syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of , and enough carbonated water and ice to fill a glass."

We make sodas (so-called Italian soda) at our cart in the summer.  We buy syrups and have a selzter bottle, add whipped cream if desired -- don't think we'll do phosphates even though I like them.  To much explaining.    Margins are pretty good and people like having something that is not just from a can.

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
                                                Re:OLD TIME LIMEADE Tue, 02/14/12 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                                crepeflipper, what brand of syrups are you using for your Italian soda? I have tried several syrups while testing this last month, but not happy with my results.

Thanks Mike

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com