The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I Survived the Chili Cook-Off

Michael Stern

I Survived the Chili Cook-Off Sun, 06/22/03 6:51 PM (permalink)
20 chilis + 3 judges = happy tastebuds. The Mark Twain Library Chili Cook-Off, part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the Georgetown (Connecticut) Volunteer Fire Department is over. The entries varied from classic four-alarm Texas-style to meatless and mild. The one chosen by myself and fellow judges Melanie Barnard of Bon Appetit magazine and Pat Grandjean of Connecticut magazine as the best was made by our own local pub/eatery, the Georgetown Saloon. Full review of that place to follow! "The People's Choice" award went to chili made by The Olive Market-- reviewed here at http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=524

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: I Survived the Chili Cook-Off Sun, 06/22/03 9:22 PM (permalink)
    Michael,
    Any secrets for dealing with the after-effects that you'd care to share? Even my cast-iron digestive system would be squeaking like a Knight In Rusty Armour (nifty 1968 45 by Peter & Gordon: I have it)after THAT much chili. Mercy/merci.
    Mine Is Less Rumblesome, Even After A Barbecue Eating Weekend, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Michael Stern

RE: I Survived the Chili Cook-Off Mon, 06/23/03 10:14 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Michael,
      Any secrets for dealing with the after-effects that you'd care to share? Even my cast-iron digestive system would be squeaking like a Knight In Rusty Armour (nifty 1968 45 by Peter & Gordon: I have it)after THAT much chili. Mercy/merci.
      Mine Is Less Rumblesome, Even After A Barbecue Eating Weekend, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Well, Ort., to be honest, I did not enjoy a FULL SERVING of any one of the chilis, not even the best of them. In fact there were a couple that I and my fellow judges were happy to simply put on the tongue, but not swallow, like wine tasters sometimes do. Also, remember that we're in New England, where even the hottest chili tends to be what a Tex Mex or New Mex cook would consider barely two-alarm. Still, I did eat more than a fair share. Oddly enough, when the chili tasting was over I found myself craving hamburgers. Plain, cheap, skinny hamburgers of the sort you get from a street cart. Three of those and a couple of Pepsis were just what the doctor ordered.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
        RE: I Survived the Chili Cook-Off Mon, 06/23/03 11:05 AM (permalink)
        Michael, a burger as you described is exactly what I always crave after the Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts are over.

I suppose it is the honest simplicity of the burger after all that complex food.

You are right about the heat in the chili. At the chili cookoffs here in Texas there are some that can make your eyeballs bleed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com