The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish

dews

• Total Posts: 24
Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Wed, 05/10/06 12:02 AM (permalink)
After leaving michigan for the first time for more than a few weeks I truly miss the best and most available fish in that region. If any body is travelling in the Upper Penninsula or Northern Michigan I recommend Mackinaw Grill in St Ignace, Tahquahmanon Brewery in Paradise, The Brown Trout in Indian River, and The Grand Traverse resort in Traverse City. Broiled sauted or panfried are they best ways to order.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Wed, 05/10/06 12:11 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dews

After leaving michigan for the first time for more than a few weeks I truly miss the best and most available fish in that region. If any body is travelling in the Upper Penninsula or Northern Michigan I recommend Mackinaw Grill in St Ignace, Tahquahmanon Brewery in Paradise, The Brown Trout in Indian River, and The Grand Traverse resort in Traverse City. Broiled sauted or panfried are they best ways to order.

Great topic dews!
    I also like mine smoked. Preferable from Purvis Fisheries on Manitoulin Island.
    Battered and deep fried is great. . . whitefish and chips from any fish and chips stand around the lakes.. . like Island Fish and Chips at South Baymouth.
    Trout is ok, but I kinda prefer whitefish.

dews

• Total Posts: 24
      RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Wed, 05/10/06 12:18 AM (permalink)
      Almost any Rural Michigan restaurant and bar will have fresh whitefish, lake trout,lake perch, &/or walleye, I really miss the fresh caught and prepared meals ans am relegated to fast food joints and hotel sandwiches for the next year or so. Any road food tour should go to some of the out the way eateries. The quality of the food usually makes up for the ultra casual atmosphere.Also at this time of year you can get fresh morels with almost any meal !!!!!

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
        RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Wed, 05/10/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
        quote:

Almost any Rural Michigan restaurant and bar will have fresh whitefish, lake trout,lake perch, &/or walleye, I really miss the fresh caught and prepared meals ans am relegated to fast food joints and hotel sandwiches for the next year or so. Any road food tour should go to some of the out the way eateries. The quality of the food usually makes up for the ultra casual atmosphere.Also at this time of year you can get fresh morels with almost any meal !!!!!

dews, you've found roadfood.com, I hope you're able to find some good places to eat no matter where your travels take you.

CasperImproved

• Total Posts: 59
          RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Sat, 05/13/06 7:48 PM (permalink)
          One of the few really great eats experience in the great lakes area that is a regional delight is the excellant fresh fish from those lakes. Walleye, Perch, Lake Trought, etc.. Pasties, cherries, Cheese, etc., are *really* good... but the fish fries are what memories are made of

Now if we could get the last few remaing "great" local fish fry establishments to change their fry habits.... make them "belgium" fries, we'd have to start our own border patrol to keep out the folks from other states, thus keeping our supply of fish & fry's (chips) in tack all for ourselves.

Casper

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
            RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish Sun, 05/14/06 1:31 AM (permalink)
            quote:

I've eaten at all those places. I opened one of the restaurants in The Grand Traverse Resort (thanks for mentioning it). Lake whitefish and walleye are delicious! While I love Pacific fish, I adore Lake fish!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com