The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Just a cog in the wheel

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
Just a cog in the wheel Sun, 05/14/06 4:29 AM (permalink)
Rules of Work

Never give me work in the morning. Always wait until 4:00 and then bring it to me. The challenge of a deadline is refreshing.
If it's really a rush job, run in and interrupt me every 10 minutes to inquire how it's going. That helps. Or even better, hover behind me, advising me at every keystroke.
Always leave without telling anyone where you're going. It gives me a chance to be creative when someone asks where you are.
If my arms are full of papers, boxes, books, or supplies, don't open the door for me. I need to learn how to function as a paraplegic and opening doors with no arms is good training in case I should ever be injured and lose all use of my limbs.
If you give me more than one job to do, don't tell me which is the priority. I am psychic.
Do your best to keep me late. I adore this office and really have nowhere to go or anything to do. I have no life beyond work.
If a job I do pleases you, keep it a secret. If that gets out, it could mean a promotion.
If you don't like my work, tell everyone. I like my name to be popular in conversations. I was born to be whipped.
If you have special instructions for a job, don't write them down. In fact, save them until the job is almost done. No use confusing me with useful information.
Never introduce me to the people you're with. I have no right to know anything. In the corporate food chain, I am plankton. When you refer to them later, my shrewd deductions will identify them.
Tell me all your little problems. No one else has any and it's nice to know someone is less fortunate. I especially like the story about having to pay so many taxes on the bonus check you received for being such a good manager.
Wait until my yearly review and THEN tell me what my goals SHOULD have been. Give me a mediocre performance rating with a cost of living increase. I'm not here for the money anyway.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
    RE: Just a cog in the wheel Sun, 05/14/06 8:13 AM (permalink)
    Excellent post, roossy!

Over the years, I have worked for far too many bosses who would lose important notices on their desks for weeks at a time, with the result that the underlings would be given only a few days to complete a task that actually could have been started weeks prior to a deadline. The resulting stress levels were incredible, and were largely avoidable if the administrators had been organized and had been considerate of those who worked under them.

And, then, there is the "power-trip" mind-set of far too many people in administrative positions. For many years, I kept a sign over my desk that said, "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice". Unfortunately, few of the people in administrative roles followed that philosophy.

roossy90

RE: Just a cog in the wheel Mon, 05/15/06 4:09 AM (permalink)
      Amen to what you said, Tedbear!
      Somehow, the average peon gets lost in the shuffle and becomes invisible to their employer. Rare is a boss that recognizes a hard working employee.
      Most peons are expected to be mind readers and babysitters to their upper management.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: Just a cog in the wheel Mon, 05/15/06 8:35 AM (permalink)
        You’re working at the wrong places. I’m the GM at a 200-room oceanfront hotel and have a great relationship with my employees. We have good Department Managers; I let them do their jobs without interference. Everyone has enough stress; they don’t need more from me. With only a small breakfast & lunch facility I make sure that the people on duty, and their families, have a traditional dinner from Publix brought in for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Occasionally I will order in a bunch of pizzas, and several times a year I bring in homemade pulled pork or ribs, baked beans, and cole slaw. Hmm, I think today is a good day for pizza.

John

Tony Bad

RE: Just a cog in the wheel Mon, 05/15/06 9:32 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by roossy90
          Rare is a boss that recognizes a hard working employee.

on the other hand...rare is an employee who is as critical of their own performance as they are of their boss'.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
            RE: Just a cog in the wheel Mon, 05/15/06 10:41 AM (permalink)
            John,
            You are a good man. Your comments remind me of my Atlanta office mananger, who now owns the store completely, who a few years ago submitted a request to buy a mobile pig cooker so they could have BBQ's at the office. I bought one in NC and drove to Georgia w/ it going and cooking a pig. I arrived Friday at lunch w/ a cooked pig behind the P/U. All the sides were in coolers in the bed.

Bad bosses need to be left behind. Life is too short to dread work time.

roossy90

RE: Just a cog in the wheel Mon, 05/15/06 8:44 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by John A

You’re working at the wrong places. I’m the GM at a 200-room oceanfront hotel and have a great relationship with my employees. We have good Department Managers; I let them do their jobs without interference. Everyone has enough stress; they don’t need more from me. With only a small breakfast & lunch facility I make sure that the people on duty, and their families, have a traditional dinner from Publix brought in for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Occasionally I will order in a bunch of pizzas, and several times a year I bring in homemade pulled pork or ribs, baked beans, and cole slaw. Hmm, I think today is a good day for pizza.

John

Actually, I love my current bosses. I work for a restaurant that subleases 2 locations in an oceanfront resort.
              Right now I am in a great job and get total recognition, and "pat's on the back".
              I was speaking from jobs past when I worked in the "real world", as I call a 9-5 type office job.

And John, If I may add, you sound like a great person to work for!
              Tara
              (and to avoid any confusion, I didnt write that piece I posted, I copied it from an email I received-But I have been in several of those situations described above)

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                RE: Just a cog in the wheel Tue, 05/16/06 2:36 AM (permalink)
                It pretty much sums up the way I feel lately. Trapped in my little rat hole (ahem ) cubicle unless I'm forced to go to useless meetings that are supposed to be so informative. Blah blah blah. It's hard to give up 20 years of seniority when you know you're in a position that just isn't a good fit. But they put you on some stupid Performance plan so you can't interview for jobs within the company...

Sorry to vent folks, but it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm just sitting here thinking about how much I really don't want to go in tomorrow instead of being able to go to sleep.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                  RE: Just a cog in the wheel Tue, 05/16/06 7:45 AM (permalink)
                  There is nothing worse than hating to go to work, been there and done that. I have a very varied work history, military, credit manager for W.T. Grant, selling tires, been a pilot, and a number of others. When I found myself unhappy, or more likely, bored, I would move on. I would not recommend it for everyone but it’s worked for me. Along the way I've had some very good bosses and some very poor bosses, funny thing is I learned as much about being a good boss from the bad ones as I did from the good ones. Good luck to all.

John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com