The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where to eat: Savannah?

mlbooks

• Total Posts: 6
Where to eat: Savannah? Mon, 06/23/03 9:41 PM (permalink)
Hi - we're going to Savannah in October for combined business/pleasure. Do you have any recommendations for restaurants in that area?
Thanks
Mary in CT

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Tue, 06/24/03 12:19 AM (permalink)
    You've got to try Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for lunch. She passed away recently, but I'm pretty sure they would still be open. Last time I was there, I sat with members of her family who are much younger. "Whaddya mean sat with?" The place consists of large communal tables and everything is served family style. You'll sit with strangers and all share in the glorius southern food. 4-5 entrees, 6-7 vegetables, biscuits, and who knows what else. Cost 18 months ago was $12 for lunch. I'd have to look up the address, but I know everyone in town can direct you. It's not far from the excellent visitors center.

Along the same lines, but not communal, is Lady and Sons, located in the historic market area. They are open for dinner too. But Mrs. Wilkes would be my absolute number one do not miss suggestion.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
      RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Tue, 06/24/03 12:30 AM (permalink)

ANMurray

• Total Posts: 1
        RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Tue, 06/24/03 7:29 AM (permalink)
        Mrs. Wilkes and Lady & Sons are fine for starters, but THE BEST place to east in Savanah is Elizabeth on 37th. Elizabeth is one of the most reknowned chefs in the South. We have eaten there on many occasions on trips down from Atlanta, and it is not to be missed. They live upstairs from the restaurant in a beautiful old mansion. I cook often from her cookbook.

gorilla06

RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Sat, 08/9/03 10:43 PM (permalink)
          Mary When you go to Savannah you need to go The Lady and Sons. It is an eating experience you will never forget. Reservations are recommended. It has been some years since I have been to Mrs. Wilkes and I have heard the restaurant went through some rough times. (Including the death of Mrs.Wilkes) and now it is only open for lunch. If you go there let me know how it was as I am going to be in Sav. in November.

SharonTriv

• Total Posts: 44
            RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Wed, 08/27/03 12:29 PM (permalink)
            Hi--I was in Savannah a couple of Octobers ago (a great time to be there), and have three suggestions for you. The first is to have a drink at the 17 Hundred 90 at 307 E. President Street. It's an old inn with a neat bar. There is a restaurant there also, and I remember eating there but not being overly impressed with the food. But a nice cocktail stop. Clary's Cafe is a fun lunch place for a burger and fries--something out of the 50's. Clary's is at 404 Abercorn. (Both the 1790 and Clary's are mentioned in the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") For a nice dinner, I remember the food at the Olde Pink House being superb. That address is 23 Abercorn. I had a pork tenderloin dinner there that was outstanding. Savannah is a walking place--don't get too enthralled with the riverfront--there's more to Savannah than that. There is a beautiful square to enjoy every couple of blocks or so. Happy Eating

Florox

• Total Posts: 11
              RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Wed, 08/27/03 12:48 PM (permalink)
              Just went to Savannah in July. Go to Lady and Sons (make reservations) for lunch. Best lunch I've ever had. Elizabeth's for a tasty, romantic dinner. (So romantic in fact that I proposed to my fiancee there). For great crab, go to the Crab Shack on the way to Tybee Island.

MichaelBates

RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Fri, 10/24/03 2:44 AM (permalink)
                Mrs Wilkes' is open 11-2, M-F, and is as good as ever. Was there a couple of days ago. Cash only, $13 per person.

Lady and Sons -- reservations a necessity, but worth it. They'll be closed as they move to the new location (four times bigger) in mid-November.

Nita's Place moved from Abercorn to a bigger place on Broughton -- plenty of room now and plenty of good food.

Agree with SharonTriv -- "don't get enthralled with the river front" -- the historic district is a wonderful place to explore.

Don's Famous Barbecue in Pooler is convenient to I-95 -- a half-mile west on I-80. Great NC-style sliced pork.

Barnes Restaurants and Carey Hilliard's are a couple of favorite local chains. Not haute cuisine, but good solid food.

KokomoJoe

• Total Posts: 264
                  RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Fri, 10/24/03 10:50 AM (permalink)
                  I take issue w/ Mrs. Wilkes! We love Savannah BTW...we USED to love Mrs. Wilkes restaurant! Had a VERY bad experience there the Dec. after Mrs. Wilkes died (Dec. 2003...just last Dec.. I brought a party of 8 there...upon my recommendation and we were not only VERY rushed but we had expected ribs because that day they were on the menu...didn't get any! On my way out I stopped and had "words" w/ the OWNER and she stood there debating w/ me that we were "rushed" and the entire party informed her that we were! It was unreal actually! Anyway I went home and wrote a letter to her and never even got a response! Oh well! But I have pledged to "spread the word" on this experience!
                  I do recommend "The Pink House"! Bring your wallet but well worth it! Also a Greek Place "The Olympia" on River that is excellent! I want to try "Lady and Sons" next trip! Have heard great things about it! If you go let us know!There's also an Italian place outside of the historic district that I can't remember the name of! I might have put it in another Savannah post! Try a search! I will too in the mean time! Have also heard great things about "Elizabeth's" but very expensive too. Have fun and enjoy Savannah! Great city! Happy eating KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe

• Total Posts: 264
                    RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Fri, 10/24/03 10:59 AM (permalink)
                    mlbooks: I just did a search and found the Italian place we went to: it's called Bella's and it's "midtown" in a strip mall! Excellent food,prices and service! Another place that I've heard good things about but have NOT been there is "Nita's" for soul food! Also go to Savannah.com and look up "Savannah's Best"! It's very helpful! Enjoy! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                      RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Fri, 10/24/03 12:46 PM (permalink)
                      The Crystal Beer Parlor just west of the downtown historic area has wonderful pub food, bowls of peanuts and cold brews. An upscale pub, not a dive and within walking distance of the historic area.

reddravenn

• Total Posts: 12
                        RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Wed, 10/29/03 9:11 PM (permalink)
                        The Breakfast Club on Tybee Island is worth the 15 minute pleasant drive any morning. Their homemade sausage alone would be worth at least 45 minutes!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                          RE: Where to eat: Savannah? Wed, 10/29/03 10:42 PM (permalink)
                          Dearfolk,
                          I've heard of - but never been to - two barbecue places worthy of mention. Johnny Harris' sells its sauce in bottles all over this area. Have no idea where the restaurant is, but perhaps it's on old U. S. 80. There's also a Mammy's Kitchen (or some such) that has a real pit. Perhaps someone in that area can direct you better.
                          Someone I know recently went to Mrs. Wilkes' and reported that it wasn't quite the same as before, but still not slipping off the drop edge of yonderways. Oh, well - nobody can last forever, and nothing does, either... I think that after a period of adjustment to her being gone that things will return to relative normalcy. My friend was not disappointed, I might add.
                          Confined To Close Quarters Temporarily Due To A Recurrence Of Eye Trouble, Ort. Carlton, The Not-Right-Now-Travelling-But-Ready-And-Rarin'-To-Do-So-Again,-And-Soon Trencherman of Athens, Georgia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com