The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Can u Post your State and Reg's Hot Dog Cart

brighteyes818

• Total Posts: 9
Can u Post your State and Reg's Hot Dog Cart Fri, 05/19/06 1:52 PM (permalink)
Hi, I'm from Ct and in order to serve Chili and Cheese you need a Safe Serve Certification. You need at least one sink for hand washing and at least a bucket system for wash, rinse and sanitize your utensils. Are their any states that have little or no regulations? or what states have you found that have the most regulations? Does anyone do fairs and festivals outside their home state and how far out do you plan? thanks for the help..Laura

Truckin

• Total Posts: 38
    RE: Can u Post your State and Reg's Hot Dog Cart Mon, 05/22/06 8:38 AM (permalink)
    I have an espresso truck and my home county, Chester, PA, has a very strict and thorough Health Department. My certification from them is only good in Chester, so I also acquired the PA Dept of Agriculture permit for a Mobile Food Unit. This is a statewide license unless a local municipality has their own requirements, then you must satisfy those for them. Compared to the drill I started with in Chester County, I am amazed that when I go to festivals in more rural settings, I never see any kind of inspection, though that would not exempt one from satisfying the requirement to be licensed by someone. I doubt there is anyplace in the country where you can prepare and serve food without some kind of permit, whether a particular region has the manpower to enforce it or not.

I went to Florida for a month to try out Spring Break, and found the licensing very confusing, almost impossible to get what you need off the web, seemingly redundant agencies misdirecting me, etc. I think the most accessible regulations are on the west coast, because when I search regulatory issues I often find myself bookmarking something on mobile vending from Oregon, Washington, or California. There were family and other reasons I went to Florida, and probably won't do it again, at least commerically. I plan to get permits in nearby states - NJ, DE, NY, MD, WV - but this is my start up year and I'm taking it slow. My main interest is music and alternative cultural events, so I am usually looking for multi-day events where it pays to travel, even if I end up camping next to the truck, which happens. This is a personality thing - I have absolutely no interest in a fixed location or route.

I start early in the winter looking for bookings for the coming year - early spring events will likely be filled by mid-winter - but often festivals are run by volunteers who change from year to year, and sometimes they have last year's website still up until a couple months before the event. I've applied to things and had to assume they weren't interested because I got no response, only to have them call me 2-3 months later when they start working on it. What it comes down to is that you are always looking for places to go to.

By the way, your Safe Serve is recognized nationally, and if a region has regulations, it will accept Safe Serve for food handling. Most regulations are pretty uniform, but I've heard of quirky contradictions - a truck like mine had some problems getting licensed because they didn't have a category for it. It wasn't a Mobile Food Unit to them because it didn't have a 3 basin sink and a grill. So they had to call it a cart, even though it was a truck. However, they had a reg that said you couldn't have a blender on a cart. The person couldn't get it through the review with a blender, and had to accept not being able to make iced coffees and smoothies if they wanted to work there. This kind of failure of the imagination is typical of bureaucracy, but I find most health departments very human and professional, and if they know you are trying to do the right thing, they tend to relax and be helpful. Obviously, there are many vendors trying to get away with whatever they can, and that's a bummer for the rest of us, because it just creates embattled, skeptical inspectors.

I hope others will submit to this thread. Good luck, Laura.

Ed

http://www.hoboespresso.com

brighteyes818

• Total Posts: 9
      RE: Can u Post your State and Reg's Hot Dog Cart Fri, 05/26/06 2:52 PM (permalink)
      Hi Ed, Thanks for such a detailed answer. This is also my start up year. I have a Hot Dog Cart, equipped with a grill and a small 3 bay sink that has hot and cold water. I would be interested in the permits needed for WV. I too am interested in musical events or small fairs. I currently work Full-time in another business but want this to be my full time business one day.I'm too do not want to be in one location. I love to travel hence my question about reg's in others states. I really want to know the ones to avoid or what I should keep in mind when travelling to them. Do you find your on a waiting list for some of these events or do they just send the check back to you? You say they not interested,don't you just sign up and send the check? Well Thanks for the info and best of Luck, Laura

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com